Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
ladywendolyn

Boy we are really green . . .

I spent the day shopping for trailer supplies today for the new trailer. It seems that the trailer shops really know how to take your money. $24.00 for a plastic dish drainer that is so small it does not hold more than two dishes. (I did not buy this). Then $5.95 for four rolls of toilet paper (I did buy this), then afterwards realised that it seems like a lot for toilet paper! I may have to be measuring it out for my kids!
Where is the cheapest place to buy this stuff? How much should I pay for toilet paper? I am glad I found this forum so these strange questions can be answered. If anyone knows of an online site with good prices I would be interested to know, because up here in Canada we have few options.
Thanks
ladywendolyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #2

I use Scotts toilet paper its RV safe and septic tank safe and can be gotten at the grocery store, but you could use just about all toilet as long as you flush the black tank good before you let the camper set idle for awhile. I usually leave some water in mine with some Calgon water softner in it as I'm traveling it kind of washes the tank and coats it so things don't stick to it
cma659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #3

Most Walmart Stores have a good supply of RV goods at a fair price.Thats where I buy when I can.That is if they have what I need.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

I do the same thing as cma659, and I buy Angel soft 2 ply at Wally World for like 6.00 for 24 rolls! Use it all over the house (septic safe) and the camper. It breaks down in water very fast. Also, been using Calgon for 9 months, now. As stated, it keeps "stuff" from sticking to the sides or the bottom, AND it greatly reduces odors after you empty the tanks. One capful each time you fill them up. Also, we found a small dish drainer at Big Lots for 3.99, that fits very well. Good Luck, and HAPPY CAMPING!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing! Saying RV is a lot like saying Boat (Break Out Another Thousand). Everything associated is expensive. But, not to fear. Most things you'll need for your RV can be found at non RV places. Wally World is a good place to start.

As for the T-Paper, use whatever you use at home unless it's Charmin Ultra. I've read about, and done, several tests and it's the only TP that doesn't dissolve readily. If you want to do your own test, put a few sheets of your favorite in a jar of water and shake it for 30 seconds and see if it dissolves. If so, it's good to use.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing! Saying RV is a lot like saying Boat (Break Out Another Thousand). Everything associated is expensive. But, not to fear. Most things you'll need for your RV can be found at non RV places. Wally World is a good place to start.

As for the T-Paper, use whatever you use at home unless it's Charmin Ultra. I've read about, and done, several tests and it's the only TP that doesn't dissolve readily. If you want to do your own test, put a few sheets of your favorite in a jar of water and shake it for 30 seconds and see if it dissolves. If so, it's good to use.
Dito for us. We use our regular household brand, no need to spend extra for "RV" anything in most cases.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Site Team

The Dollar store is your friend!!!!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #8

I have a folding dish drainer that I got at Camping World for $10. Sits on counter for the dishes, then folds away and is put under sink cabinet for storage. Have had it since my tenting days (25 yrs. ago) It keeps both the sinks usuable. Unless we are hooked up to sewage, I do keep a dishpan in one sink for collecting dirty dishes and washing them. Then, if allowed, I toss the water in the woods.
choice spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the good advice . . . I went to dollarama our dollar store, $68 and five bags of "stuff" . . . also went to walmart, and zellers (like a k-mart) and found dishes 1/2 price . . . this is the time of year to outfit a camper as all the summer dishes etc. are clearing out!
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #10

We take the tape measure to the camper and start measuring for all the things we think we might like to install and start a notebook for future reference. then let the yard and rummage sales begin. I carry the measurements in my car and in the truck so I have them when needed.
fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Knower of Some Things

My local dealer here has 4 rolls of TP for $1.99.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote