Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Break in over the winter

I brought our camper home last weekend to get it de-winterized. During the week I had notice that someone had broke into the compartments on the side facing the non street side at the storage lot. They had pried the doors open and then closed them so you couldn't notice. I looked over everything and didn't see anything missing as I clean out most of the items for winter storage. Today I started to load everything back into the camper and that's when I noticed that I had left the "box" in the camper over the winter. You know the one that has all of the odds and ends you have gotten over the years, water fittings, regulators, etc. The stuff you use all of the time and add to as needed. The only problem I can't remember everything that I had in it.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes. The one with pressure regulator, plug in pig tail, spare items like extension cords, hand tools, bungee cords, duct tape, tie wire, TV cable connectors, etc. I have one of those too. Use it every trip for one thing or another. You'll have a new one in no time.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #3

We had that happen the first year we owned a fifth wheel. Nothing of high value, just those little things you always want to have with you for camping. It really ticked me off. I'm sorry it happened to you. Fortunately nothing like that has happened to us since.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about your burgerly. We had our break-in last November which they pried up the safety-escape window that has a hinge. They stole 2 televisions, coats, rain suits, food, took remotes for the Concertone & VuQube(couldn't get to the Concertone because of the slide being in plus I disconnected the battery & VuQube too big to get through the window), and destroyed the screen inside the window they came in. I have $500 deductable, which after depreciation of everything didn't give me much to replace things. I have my pontoon boat & TT parked at a storage place with 7' tall fence with barb wire at the top. Still they broke into mine and another TT and stole their televisions using tools from my trailer. Very frustrating but now I have window alarms and motion sensor alarms if another happens. Everythings' been replaced and we've moved on, camping 4 times this year.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

They could have been looking for the batteries. It happens every year at the lake we like to go camping. Last year we went to start up the pontoon boat only to find out the battery was stolen. Most boats in the marina had stolen batteries. They also hit the permanent campgrounds especially TTs with the batteries outside upfront. Not sure if they sell them or sell the lead or what.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
RKR

Sorry for losses. My OCD kicks in when I think I might get ripped off. I unloaded all my gear before when put her in storage this year because of this type of thing. It was in stored in an outside parking space. It was also a hassle taking the high dollar stuff out when getting back from a trip.
I was put on a waiting list for indoor back in Oct and I finally made it last week. I have her in a enclosed and locked 14'x40' now. Just $25 more a month at a different place but I can leave her packed and ready to go for the most part. I'm a happier camper now.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Old Fella

They didn't just take our stuff, they took the whole rig and left the battery in its box next to the new TT parked next door. We have a replacement ordered and looking forward to making memories.
Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiecat View Post
They didn't just take our stuff, they took the whole rig and left the battery in its box next to the new TT parked next door. We have a replacement ordered and looking forward to making memories.
Ok that stinks ...

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
Old 05-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Old Fella

Stealing rigs turned out to be more common than I thought. They even go as far as hooking up to rigs at the campground while the families are at the pool etc.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #10

I always put a lock on the king pin whenever the truck is not hitch to FW. If they want to take it they will have to work for it.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #11

Theives are always among us. I always have a ball lock in the socket as well as a latch lock. Then i put a boot on one wheel. Also have it behind a locked gate. Theives could overcome all these things, I know, but I think they'd go down the street and take one that was easier to get to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #12
Old Fella

Absolutely right, there is nothing that will stop a determined thief, however most of them will go after the easy pickings. We will be taking more precautions in the future.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

We used to live in an area where thefts of all kinds happened on a daily basis, it was at a point where it didn't even make the papers anymore.. Thankfully we moved to a very low crime area but I still have that "lock it up to the point of ridicules ness mentality". My DW thinks I'm over paranoid, I call it being realistic. Any way here is my question to y'all. What type of theft deterrent do you use on your hitch? Did you do anything to the outside storage doors? And did anyone redo their entryway door locks? What have you done to secure your camper from dirty rotten no good thieves.
Thanks all.

Steelframer. Cherokee 274dbh.
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter