Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Bring back color and shine

Have a 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329ss. Had a coating put on it when I bought it. Now it is starting to look dull. Been searching for something easy to restore the shine and color. Ran across a couple videos of guys using Zep wet look floor polish. They put on several coats after a thorough washing.

Has anyone used this on their RV? What are your thoughts? What would be best to use?

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Psrujak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

I wouldn’t put that on it will crack and show after awhile. There is plenty of products out there , first use a compound on it with a foam buffer, then put a wax quality wax on it with a buffer take a choice, I have always used Nu-tone in the orange bottle, but your going to have to use a compound first, it should come back you will be amazed then wax it twice a year to keep up. A lot of work I know but you can bring back like new.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

Oh yes then get some 303 to spray on your decals if you have them it has great UV protection in it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

I saw a motor home once that the owner had used the Zep floor wax on and I wasn’t impressed. If you can see the wax then it’s not right for a vehicle and this was very visible. It was thick and you could see it starting to get hazy and yellow. Not a good look on a MH.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Caught my eye because it was quick and easy. Now looking at the buffer method. A little more work but worth it. I won't be able to do this until spring.
Psrujak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

Shine

If you go the buffer direction. Get one w/ "soft start". Be sure to cover the front trailer tongue w/ an old sheet before buffing. It is very hard to get the stuff that the buffer slings off rubber, wiring cables and battery box. I would use something made for the RV w/ UV protection. I use Meguires boat/RV wax and a good synthetic seal-Chemical Guys Jet Wax. I am sure there are other good ones out there, the Jet Seal did not last as long as others I have used. Formula 303 0n all tires and rubber, stuff was made for protecting expensive aircraft tires. It was recommended to me from a kayak mfg. My kayaks have not faded in color at all after 6-9 years.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

I found a truly wonderful, high quality and yet long lasting (about 3years or more) called McKee’s 37 Products, online at their site or Amazon. There are 3 products; one to wash the RV, one to prepare it, and the third is their Paint Seal - a nano-ceramic paint seal that shines and is super strong and fills in all the pores of the paint - water just sheets right off.
A single 4 ounce bottle of McKee's 37 Paint Coating is enough to protect 4-5 full size vehicles! I used 2 bottles of the Paint Coating, with some left over for my 40’ .
Just wash your RV, then wipe on and off the Coating Prep Polish, finally apply the clear liquid Paint seal, wait a few minutes and simply wipe off with micro-fiber towels. Your done and will you be surprised at not only how easy it was to do, but how great it shines and protects.
Click on this short but how-to video on application of McKee’s https://youtu.be/MeHHJ9v2q5Q

Directions:

1. Wash vehicle using McKee's 37 Coating Prep Auto Wash.
2. apply McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish. This step is crucial as it will remove below-surface contaminants and embedded dirt. If your vehicle has swirl marks or scratches, polish the paint and then use our N-914 Diluted 1:8 to wipe it down.
3. Working one panel at a time, spray McKee's 37 Paint Coating directly onto the paint and evenly distribute using the supplied applicator.
4. Work the coating into the paint using a side-to-side and up-and-down hand motion, overlapping each pass.
5. Immediately remove excess using a clean, lint-free microfiber towel.
I am 72, I roped my 15 year old Grandson, Wyatt, into helping me and we did it over 2 days about 6 hours each day. Please do this, if I am not correct on the ease of the application to how good it looks, tell me. This is the fun part, after (a couple days) you apply it, pour a bottle of water on it and watch how it just floods off and doesn’t stick at all!!! If you like it, teach another and they will be grateful. Please let me know if any of you try it please, I buy it for presents now and every one of those ,
Doc Burry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #8

youll definately need to compund it to bring back the shine - and maintain it with a good wax or sealant. wax doesnt last long. so look for something like a syntehetic sealant. rejex is one.

use a rotary buffer with a wool pad - foam on a DA might not cut it depending on the oxidation/fade you have. if your not familiar on how to use one - don't do it - find a reputable shop/detailer. you can burn through the gelcoat very quickly.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #9

Dri wash n guard. You can now get it on Amazon. Spray it on buff it off with a terry cloth towel. Takes off oxidation. Provides uv protection from a polymer coating. Won't fade out in a month like most wax will. Best product I've ever used on any vehicle. I use to sell this product before it became available online. You don't even have to wash the vehicle before using the product.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #10

To couple of factors to take into this issue.
How old is the unit to be polished
How is it stored inside,outside, what area of the US.
How much time and energy are you willing to put forward to get it to look like you want it.
After you do this you can make your TV and personal car look as good or better using the same actions.
There are fourms on auto detailingvoutvthere and this information transfers to RVs . The final polish products may change.
Marine polish, or polymer products, and now ceramic polishes.

1 was very well everywhere.
Dry to remove water and soap residue ( a leaf blower will help alot here) and towels around doors and windows.
Use a good buffer.
Use a good cleaner product like Maguire's 105 the a polish like 205.
Finally the "WAX" of your choice, I really like Meguiar's 21 as it is a polymer and will not burn off in the sun , the ne ceramics work very well and are easy to apply.
Then take a day off and do the same thing to your TV.
Enjoy.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #11

I used Meguiars cut polish for boats and rv's and then followed it up with a coat of meguiars liquid gold. The finished product was amazing, it even impressed my brother inlaw to the point we are doing his unit in the new year.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2500TS
Canadian Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #12

I have been using Chemical Guys for the past few years on my truck, boat, and RV. I use Meguiar products, good quality pads and a random orbital polisher. You spend a few $$ to get set up but it is worth it. I've learned a lot watching the videos on their site.

They also sell through Amazon if you prefer.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/home?ms...704b831ee361a1
Old 12-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #13
Fla5er

Has anyone had experience with Chemical Guys products that may harm the vinyl decals on their rv? When you go to their website, their products look great but I'm looking for something that will NOT react to the decals and cause damage.
Also having trouble with the front/rear cap oxidizing a lot here in Florida. I use Meguiar's #2 Fine Cut Cleaner, then Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax, then Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax to bring out the shine and they work well, but have to re-do the whole operation fairly frequently. Looks good, but LOTS OF WORK! To help with the sun fading, we will be building a fully enclosed steel building to house our rv in the near future.

One other thing: on our '17 Cardinal 3250RL 5th wheel, the front and rear marker lights have a rubber seal that seems to bleed black when washing or waxing. It's hard to keep the rig clean when black streaks keep coming. Anybody had any experiences/luck with FR to deal with that problem?
Thanks!
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Has anyone had experience with Chemical Guys products that may harm the vinyl decals on their rv? When you go to their website, their products look great but I'm looking for something that will NOT react to the decals and cause damage.
Also having trouble with the front/rear cap oxidizing a lot here in Florida. I use Meguiar's #2 Fine Cut Cleaner, then Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax, then Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax to bring out the shine and they work well, but have to re-do the whole operation fairly frequently. Looks good, but LOTS OF WORK! To help with the sun fading, we will be building a fully enclosed steel building to house our rv in the near future.

One other thing: on our '17 Cardinal 3250RL 5th wheel, the front and rear marker lights have a rubber seal that seems to bleed black when washing or waxing. It's hard to keep the rig clean when black streaks keep coming. Anybody had any experiences/luck with FR to deal with that problem?
Thanks!
First thing you need to change your cleaners,and polish.
You are in Florida that hi tech yellow wax is a carnauba base it just melts off in the sun, and to protect your decals need to use a fine lower impact cleaner polish.
#2 fine cut is a pretty aggressive product , only use what you need to remove oxidation.
105 is a good cleaner for 90% or more use the #2 in the tuff areas. 205 is synthetic so it bonds to the cleaners much better. Now lastly using a polymer wax will last 3 to 4 times longer than the Hi Tech yellow. As far as the rubber bleeding black streaks, You could try to use the new cermaic wax.you can apply it directly on to rubber it bonds and should reduce the bleeding. I admit I have never tried it on a RV rubber tail light yet but I will.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #15

Shine

I have used Chemical Guys Honeydew and Citrus Clean in a spray foam gun, big time saver. No fading of decals. I have also used their Spray and wax and Jet Sealer. I have used the Jet Sealer, good but there are longer lasting synthetic sealers available. No decal fading w/ any of their products. I also recommend 303 for any rubber or decals. Just make sure you let it dry fully if used on rubber slide seals. I had one of my seals stick in the Texas heat, came apart easily, after I applied and put my slide in immediately. It could be I had a few pine needles in there.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #16

Awesome product is the Meguires Tech Wax 2.0. Use it instead of carnuba. It wont yellow or go cloudy. It lasted a year up here in Ottawa on a black car. Also try swirlX to polish with it is very very fine and work great on white and wont harm decals so ive read. Dont quote me on that though. Decals are made with a huge amount of colors and types now. But i did my 2017 cruise lite and it came out amazing. And no black grime so far.
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #17

Listen to the Canadian. He knows what he is talking about. The rest of the responders are pushing BS.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #18

Use carnauba on dark colors only. You are probably working with gel coat and a light color. The coating from the dealer was good for one or two washes or rain storms. It is junk and $1,000.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #19

Regardless of the product used I would get a 6" random orbital buffer. Much easier to handle, lighter and no fear of "buffer burn". Wool pads will cut faster than foam. Foam pads are best for finishing. I use 3M Perfect It for finishing.

Harbor Freight has a good one for about $50.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #20

I have tried a lot of different products for removal of oxidation on gel coat and a lot of different products to protect the gel coat to try and keep it from oxidation. Have found MEGUIAR'S M4965 Marine/RV Fiberglass Restoration System to work the best for removal of oxidation. However, for the protection from the sun I have been having problems. I am trying the Rejex car wax polymer sealant and stain barrier now. Seems to be holding up better than the other products I have tried.

It is the cap that is the worst part. The rest of my unit is a breeze. Have been thinking about having the cap repainted with a clear coat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY4YT...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M68IXOJ...PLBV5YRB&psc=1