Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #1

Broken Bow lake OK. vs Lake Greeson AR. vs Lake Degray AR.

I am trying to find a nice weekend vacation spot that is within 3 hours of Shreveport La.
From what I can tell I have 3 choices.
Lake DeGray Ark. vs Lake Greeson ARk or Broken Bow lake in Oklahoma.
Have any of you been to these and which would you say is my better bet?
Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

I haven't been to any of those places, but I have been to Lake Chicot State Park, AR. It was very nice, we stopped on our way back home for a night. Very shady with lots of huge pecan trees and a really nice oxbow lake I wish I could have fished in.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

We are headed to Lake Greeson on Sunday. We've never stayed there but have heard it is a great place so we are headed that way!

We will be at Daisy State Park.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Consider north Toledo bend state park. 1 hr away, shady spots, pool, fishing etc. Also, lake Claiborne sp near Ruston and lake darbonne sp near farmerville.
Beaver bend, lake greeson and degray sp are all nice parks but reserved months or years in advance for best spots.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

What I like about Arkansas camping...Beautiful lake water to swim in, can't do that south of where you're starting from ,)

Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

You are right Cajun Po-Boy. Wife is from Shreveport but we've lived in Arkansas most of our marriage (LONG time). We've camped at many of the State and Corp parks in Arkansas…haven't had a bad experience at any of them. Arkansas is a beautiful state.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
What I like about Arkansas camping...Beautiful lake water to swim in, can't do that south of where you're starting from ,)
Yep. Closest thing to clear natural water south of ark is south Toledo bend and a few of the creeks in Natl forest. Just enough to wet your ankles.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #8

Lake DeGray is very nice but only water, electric connections. May not be a big deal for some not to have full hookups but for us, it's tough with a kid. Never stayed there but plan to at some point.

Lake Greeson, I've driven around and checked out the area but never camped there. Pretty area..remote location that doesn't have much around so take all supplies with you. COE parks there if I recall.

In Broken Bow lake area, your best bet is Beavers Bend State Park. They don't reserve spots from what we can tell except in one area. First come, first served type of thing. Water and electric only on the loop we had but I've heard they have full connections on a few spots. We've not been lucky enough to ever get one and on really busy weekends, we don't bother with BBSP because we are not driving up there only to find the park is full! There really aren't any private campgrounds we would stay at in that area. If you go and like to fish, bring tackle for trout. They stock the river every other Thursday. You can get a 5 day fishing license online before you arrive just in case the park store's system is down (like on our last trip).

Our favorite parks are in Arkansas.

Lake Catherine (FHU) is the best and just outside Hot Springs which is nice.

Crater of Diamonds (FHU) is nice too but not as much to do and remote area. Nearest Wally World is 20-25 miles. Local town area has Dollar store and a Sonic. You can dig for diamonds or visit their little water park/swimming pool, all for a fee. The diamond area is a big open field that is hot in the summer and muddy when it rains.

Enjoy your trip wherever you go!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
CampTBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #9

We have stayed at BBSP and enjoyed it very much, trout fishing,horseback riding, swimming area and lots of trails. Pretty area with lots to do. Most of the sites are somewhat dated and the reservable area is real tight. The acorn loop is the best but very hard to get one during popular times.
The best park on Greeson is corps Kirby landing. Lots of sites, many waterfront sites, marina with boat rentals. ATV trail access in the park. Better sites than Daisy, ( the sites are very small). As stated above it is remote and you need to bring what you need.
As for Degray, we have only driven through it, very pretty area and ony water and electric sites, some only electric.
Now there are several closer and in Louisiana, as stated Claiborne SP is very nice, Jimmie Davis SP is another very nice. New facilities and great sites some with Decks. Lincoln parish park in Ruston is very nice with full hook ups. States best mountain bike trails. Nice park. Also any of the Four Corps parks on Lake of the Pines are fantastic with real nice sites. Toledo Bend area has nice parks also. Check out Cypress Bend park (SRA) Good look with your travels and try several of them.
jvahicks is offline   Reply With Quote