Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Exclamation Broken frames - scaring me off a 5er

Almost ready to pull the pin and buy a Wildcat. Two lined up - one an 05 29 foot DS and the other a 2006 27RL. Then I come across all the posts on poor frames and broken pin box mounts. Starting to think this may not be a smart purchase. Was looking for just the right Cougar for two months then came across the Wildcat and loved it. Now I'm starting to think buying either one may be a big mistake.
malfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
gonecampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfar View Post
Almost ready to pull the pin and buy a Wildcat. Two lined up - one an 05 29 foot DS and the other a 2006 27RL. Then I come across all the posts on poor frames and broken pin box mounts. Starting to think this may not be a smart purchase. Was looking for just the right Cougar for two months then came across the Wildcat and loved it. Now I'm starting to think buying either one may be a big mistake.
All I can say is that I had a 2007 wildcat 24 rl and I pulled a 17 ft boat behind it for 5 years and never had a problem. Good luck

Kalispell, MT
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Possible but not likely that you will have any issues with a unit of that age. Frame damage would have probably occurred before now. Just make sure that it does not currently have any frame issues, broken welds, etc AND especially any water damage,

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Remeber you are seeing probably less than 1% with frame problems. These forums have a tendancy to only have negative type problems with people seeking answers. These type of post far outway the positives. I agree with Tiggerdad on frame damage occuring already in a unit this old.
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood36322 View Post
Remeber you are seeing probably less than 1% with frame problems. These forums have a tendancy to only have negative type problems with people seeking answers. These type of post far outway the positives. I agree with Tiggerdad on frame damage occuring already in a unit this old.
I agree with Dogwood and Tiggerdad.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

I agree with ependydad, Dogwood and Tiggerdad.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
PPST OGCDG

I have a 2005 Wildcat 29RLBS. So far I have not had any frame problems.
I had the lazar alignment preformed at F.R.O.G Rally back in August 2013 and the axles were lined up perfect
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #8

I agree with wrvond, ependydad, Dogwood and Tiggerdad.

As you survey these forums, you'll find strings begun by owners who seldom visit the forums, other than to discuss problems. I think virtually ALL RVs will have some problem or another - particularly used ones, but Frame damage would show up pretty quickly unless it's the result of abuse or damage.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

I usually figure that it is a small number of people who get the most press - but in this case I have found out that Transport Canada has ongoing investigations into frame fractures in the area of the pinbox on both Keystone and FR trailers made during the years 2000 -2011. I called them today, but all accident investigators are in the field today but will be back tomorrow. Will see what they have to say tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfar View Post
I usually figure that it is a small number of people who get the most press - but in this case I have found out that Transport Canada has ongoing investigations into frame fractures in the area of the pinbox on both Keystone and FR trailers made during the years 2000 -2011. I called them today, but all accident investigators are in the field today but will be back tomorrow. Will see what they have to say tomorrow.
Keep us informed please.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #11

I just agree with everyone.......too many too list

If it has not had a frame problem yet it probably won't........ You only usually hear the bad not the thousands of good.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #12

Finally talked to an investigator at Transport Canada - they have active files on both Wildcat and Cougar - obiously both using Lippert frames. Frame failures are not isolated incidents and they have numerous reports of frame failures in the pinbox area but having said that they can do nothing about it because the only enforceable specs for trailers are lights, etc - not frame construction. And there ability to take action is constrained by the fact taht they have no evidence of castrophic failure causing an accident - the failure is usually noticed when the trailer is stationery or falls on someones truck box. The biggest problem is that there are no statutory standards for trailer construction and manufacturers in many cases build to the minimum requirement to send a product down the road - then when they break they point fingers back and forth between the manufacturer of the trailer and the frame and no one accepts responsiblity. The trailer manufacturers say they are building what purchasers want and increasing strength increases towing costs.

We talked at length and I have concluded that while nice to the eye these trailers are being built with a limited (short) lifespan - a five or six year old trailer may or may not show signs of damage if the frame is already broken (breaking) - on the other hand a 5 or 6 year old trailer may be near the end of it's projected lifespan- (which the manufacturer knows). MAnufacturers condsider these RVs recycleable. Short of pulling the front off, there is no really way to find out what one is buying.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

So what's your conclusion from this? You've decided not to but an RV, or you're going to buy one that costs twice as much, expecting that it won't to have these problems?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #14

Actually haven't reached a conclusion - but now have a number of considerations-
1) Won't pay twice the price - cause as stated this is a virutally unregulated industry - price guarantees nothing.
2) Won't buy new cause of the huge depreciation - have the same philosophy on vehicles and it has served me well. And new doesn't seem to guarantee it won't break
3) If I buy used I will be crawling all over it. Can an existing owner tell me if you can get into the area of the pin with a remote camera/ borescope and if you can see anything?
4)Probably won't buy privately now - seek a dealer with some form of warranty- even if it is only 30 days. I will pull the front off for inspection of welds/etc in that period (it's a job I can handle easily - I wish I could weld though! .
5) Look at Class A - there are similar size units with low mileage for the same price or less of a used Wildcat and a good low mileage truck - and the motorhomes are on proven chasis/running gear and subject to automobtive industry standards - not to say they don't have other problems. With a Class A I have to tow a vehicle , but have the option of towing my boat instead . Either way 5er or class A I'm still towing something.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Look at a sabre by palomino.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Denver, CO

I think we should sell all our 5ers and go back to tents, they don"t have frames. Or just dig holes and put straw over them.

Sometimes these posts seem like baiting the forum, maybe the poster is a Thor stealth plant just sowing discontent. I agree that caution is prudent, but REALLY? Lots of rigs out there and comparatively few problems AND no more in the FR products than any others.

Drive carefully, stay well within your specs, inspect frequently, and GO HAVE FUN.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #17

Not a plant, just looking to make an informed decision. Why would I want to sow discontent? And I doubt Transport Canada dream't up the reported failures so they can open investigations into them - just to bait you. I can give you their number if you want to call them - I can assure you it will be an educational discussion. I was that close to buying a Wildcat until I saw all the posts on frames breaking - I don't care what others spend their money on, I'm just looking to hopefully ensure I get value for mine. If it offends someone when I ask why the $10 kettle in a trailer has a better and longer warranty than the trailer - so be it.

just sayin..............

Tags
5er, frame