Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Exclamation Broken frames - scaring me off a 5er

Almost ready to pull the pin and buy a Wildcat. Two lined up - one an 05 29 foot DS and the other a 2006 27RL. Then I come across all the posts on poor frames and broken pin box mounts. Starting to think this may not be a smart purchase. Was looking for just the right Cougar for two months then came across the Wildcat and loved it. Now I'm starting to think buying either one may be a big mistake.
__________________

__________________
malfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
gonecampin
 
gonecampin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kalispell, MT
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfar View Post
Almost ready to pull the pin and buy a Wildcat. Two lined up - one an 05 29 foot DS and the other a 2006 27RL. Then I come across all the posts on poor frames and broken pin box mounts. Starting to think this may not be a smart purchase. Was looking for just the right Cougar for two months then came across the Wildcat and loved it. Now I'm starting to think buying either one may be a big mistake.
All I can say is that I had a 2007 wildcat 24 rl and I pulled a 17 ft boat behind it for 5 years and never had a problem. Good luck
__________________

__________________
Randy & Jeanette Feller
2013 PT Crusader 295 RST TE C
2012 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax

Kalispell, MT
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange Texas
Posts: 608
Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Possible but not likely that you will have any issues with a unit of that age. Frame damage would have probably occurred before now. Just make sure that it does not currently have any frame issues, broken welds, etc AND especially any water damage,
__________________

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Daleville, AL.
Posts: 82
Remeber you are seeing probably less than 1% with frame problems. These forums have a tendancy to only have negative type problems with people seeking answers. These type of post far outway the positives. I agree with Tiggerdad on frame damage occuring already in a unit this old.
__________________
2011 F350 Lariat Ultimate Dually 6.7 w/ B&W Companion
2014 Heritage Glen 356QBQ
2016 Explorer Platinum, 1998 Mustang
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood36322 View Post
Remeber you are seeing probably less than 1% with frame problems. These forums have a tendancy to only have negative type problems with people seeking answers. These type of post far outway the positives. I agree with Tiggerdad on frame damage occuring already in a unit this old.
I agree with Dogwood and Tiggerdad.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 563
I agree with ependydad, Dogwood and Tiggerdad.
__________________
2002 Forest River Flagstaff 8528RLS
2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
PPST OGCDG
 
Frank-VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Between I-95 & The Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 2,163
I have a 2005 Wildcat 29RLBS. So far I have not had any frame problems.
I had the lazar alignment preformed at F.R.O.G Rally back in August 2013 and the axles were lined up perfect
__________________
Frank- VA {:-{)
2004 4x4 Ford 6.0 PS, SCC, SB
2005 Wildcat 29 RLBS
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
I agree with wrvond, ependydad, Dogwood and Tiggerdad.

As you survey these forums, you'll find strings begun by owners who seldom visit the forums, other than to discuss problems. I think virtually ALL RVs will have some problem or another - particularly used ones, but Frame damage would show up pretty quickly unless it's the result of abuse or damage.
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
I usually figure that it is a small number of people who get the most press - but in this case I have found out that Transport Canada has ongoing investigations into frame fractures in the area of the pinbox on both Keystone and FR trailers made during the years 2000 -2011. I called them today, but all accident investigators are in the field today but will be back tomorrow. Will see what they have to say tomorrow.
__________________
malfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfar View Post
I usually figure that it is a small number of people who get the most press - but in this case I have found out that Transport Canada has ongoing investigations into frame fractures in the area of the pinbox on both Keystone and FR trailers made during the years 2000 -2011. I called them today, but all accident investigators are in the field today but will be back tomorrow. Will see what they have to say tomorrow.
Keep us informed please.
__________________

__________________
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5er, frame

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.