Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #1

Broken glass

After driving all day, I entered our Mini to find shattered glass and hardware all over the floor. The Glass stovetop plastic bolts & nuts separated. The nuts were in the stove and the bolts and glass on the floor. Anybody experience this problem.
kurts cabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #2

No. Assembly problem? Is this a new unit. First trip?
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

I've looked at ours and thought about some soft bushings, loctite on bolts and extra bumpers if it's bouncing around. Your experience just moved that up my list. Sorry about your misfortune, not the end of the world, but still a mess to clean up, that shouldn't have happened. If you want, let us know what it cost to replace that cover
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
After driving all day, I entered our Mini to find shattered glass and hardware all over the floor. The Glass stovetop plastic bolts & nuts separated. The nuts were in the stove and the bolts and glass on the floor. Anybody experience this problem.
YUP, one of those, oh crap moments... I looked at mine critically one day and decided the hardware needed to be tightened and Loctite added to the fasteners... WORD to WISE readers here... check yours out BEFORE it breaks...

and some think that balancing the trailer tires is wasted effort also!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurts cabin View Post

After our first couple camping trips with our new 2018 8328BS SUL, the DW found that while using the stove cooktop with the glass cover folded back, that it would tip forward periodically. So like our previous TT I removed it completely as we have a large wooden cutting board with the non-slip rubber coating on the underside, which travels there just fine. I’ll reinstall it if we ever trade or sell it. The pic shows the cutting board in our previous camper.

I hate that yours broke during travel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	35686568-A8DF-4A95-B4BB-10AD53C3617F.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	153583
Old 10-09-2017, 04:29 AM   #6

The factory nylon nuts on the cooktop in our pop up tended to split with alarming regularity. Our solution was two-fold. First, we replaced the nylon nuts and bolts with metal one, but first we installed rubber washers between the nuts and bolts and the glass cover. Next we bought a piece of foam display board -- the kind your kid might use to do a presentation at school. We measured and cut two pieces. One went under the glass cover and the other went over the glass cover, kind of like a glass cover sandwich. In the pop up, the bed end slides over the stove so it keeps the top one in place. While there is no bed end in your mini, the one between the cover and stop top still could provide cushioning.

2008 Honda Ridgeline
2014 Flagstaff Classic 425D
2014 nights camping: 26
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 AM   #7

The plastic nuts and bolts actually started melting on ours due to the heat from the stove. (Only the bottom ones closest to the stove) Luckily, I caught it before anything like that happened, and put metal nuts and bolts in with plastic washers so it wouldn't break the glass.
Mcnet22 is offline   Reply With Quote