Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

broken leaf spring !

wifey and I just got home from 1 month on the road in our 27RKSS... a month gives a whole new perspective on the camper ! lots we love and some minor annoyances. the sum total of the annoyances were not being able to close off the a/c vents in the bathroom so it was always freezing, until I popped the vent off and put a piece of cardboard with a smaller hole in it behind the vent to restrict the cold air... worked like a charm. the only other annoyance was not having separate reading lights over the bed so when I read before bed it affected my wife sleeping... not the end of the world I know.

biggest issue today tho was discovery of a broken leaf spring about 150 miles from home. dumped the gray tank and noticed a leak, after crawling under the trailer to investigate I found the broken spring. all but one leaf on the front spring were broken and gone. single remaining leaf was bent pretty bad. it caused the left side to sag, and the head of a bolt rubbed a hole in the gray water line and caused the tires to wear unevenly. the tires also rubbed the top of the inner fenders due to the decreased clearance. to add insult to injury, tire on the other side had a huge knot in the sidewall so I also changed out the tire.

the good news is we made it the 100 miles to the dealer and dropped the trailer off for warranty repairs. the bad news is I REALLY need the trailer fixed in 3 weeks for another trip so hopefully they'll get on it and get it done.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your problems. I can't speak to the leaf spring, but I want to let you know something about the grey water line. On the 27RKSS, that line runs very close to the spring shackle bolt. I now have had two times that this bolt has worn a hole in that line, and I didn't have a spring problem. I am currently in negotiation with the dealer to reroute that line. From experience I know if the line is not relocated it will happen again. Good luck with your repairs.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #3

thanks for the heads up. I had assumed it was because of the spring issue but will definitely keep an eye on it if the dealer doesn't move it enough when making the repairs. stuff happens, so far my dealer has been great to work with and I would buy from them again.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. I can't speak to the leaf spring, but I want to let you know something about the grey water line. On the 27RKSS, that line runs very close to the spring shackle bolt. I now have had two times that this bolt has worn a hole in that line, and I didn't have a spring problem. I am currently in negotiation with the dealer to reroute that line. From experience I know if the line is not relocated it will happen again. Good luck with your repairs.
That sounds like a design flaw if the bolt will wear a hole in the drain pipe.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote