Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by rycej View Post
Thanks Tim, for your comments on your history with a Ranger. I will keep an eye on how the truck handles this weekend. First trip out I will be sticking with the back roads rather than the main highway. We will only be about an hour from home but there are some pretty big and long hills involved. I will update how it goes
i'd be interested in how it goes, having had a Ranger that i pulled popups with and would never attempt pulling a full height TT/HTT.
but i live in California and have numerous mountain ranges to pull over.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Well we had a successful trip!

Truck had no trouble at all pulling the trailer. Speed limit on most the roads I was on was 80 km and I kept the truck at around 90 km ( as no one drives speed limit around here). The route I took to get to the camp ground had us go up over a fair sized bridge, then right up a long and large hill (large enough to have a double lane for slower traffic going up). Managed to keep it going at 95 km up that hill. With overdrive turned off, the truck stayed at just around 2200 rpms while at the 80 to 90 km range. It didn't shift in and and out gears one bit. Now climbing the big hill, I had to give it more gas and it jumped to about 3500 rpms, but only for a minute or so. I would normally just stay at 80 going up that big a hill, but wanted to see how the truck would react to giving it a blast of gas.

Then on the twisty back country roads, again, no problems with handling the truck and trailer. I drove my buddy's Cadilac SUV which I think can pull 9700 lbs and his trailer is just a bit heavier than mine, and my truck and trailer felt the same way as far as bounce and pull.

We had a few small problems with the trailer that we will be taking it back to the dealer to be sorted out, but for the most part, it was a very good weekend!

rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Congratulations for not falling victim to the idea that you need a $30000 trailer and $40000 truck to go camping.
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
Congrats. Glad to hear the Ranger worked out for you. I traded my Ranger, that was similar to yours, on a used F-150 with the 4.6L v8 as I was afraid the Ranger would never pull my Microlite 21FBRS. I didn't try it so maybe it would have. Any, glad it worked for you.
2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
Very nice James. We (Family & Surveyor) live next door in Amherstview.

Nights camped
2007 Shamrock F19 hybrid - 2010 (22 nights), 2011 (24 nights), 2012 (11 nights)
2013 Surveyor Select 235RKS -
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, travel, travel trailer