Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #41

I have the feeling these two kids are getting a much better education than they could ever get in brick-and-mortar schools. They will be prepared to take on the world.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #42
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I have the feeling these two kids are getting a much better education than they could ever get in brick-and-mortar schools. They will be prepared to take on the world.
Thanks! Being responsible for their education is still one of the scariest parts of all of this. But we're quite happy with how everything is going.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #43
RV There Yet?

This is the reason I wanted to get into teaching shop class. sadly, more and more schools are moving away from this and going with packaged corporate curriculum, and is the driving reason i did not pursue a career in the public schools despite being licensed in two states. your daughters proud smile is what its all about! good job letting her take over and take control of the project. completing something that looks that good in a shop is a great accomplishment, but doing it on the road, at your campsite, and with basic tools, and your "basic" experience is amazing! keep up the good work!

Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #44
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
This is the reason I wanted to get into teaching shop class. sadly, more and more schools are moving away from this and going with packaged corporate curriculum, and is the driving reason i did not pursue a career in the public schools despite being licensed in two states. your daughters proud smile is what its all about! good job letting her take over and take control of the project. completing something that looks that good in a shop is a great accomplishment, but doing it on the road, at your campsite, and with basic tools, and your "basic" experience is amazing! keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words! There are definitely some parts that are a bit rough about the edges, but overall- we're happy with it.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #45

I think "shop" class is now.. Broadcasting or Art/Art theory
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #46

So, is she taking orders?
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
So, is she taking orders?
Ha! She's the enterprising sort, I could totally see her doing it!

But my goodness, this project was NOT friendly to the budget. It added up quick!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Ha! She's the enterprising sort, I could totally see her doing it!

But my goodness, this project was NOT friendly to the budget. It added up quick!
Great job Doug, these are the kind of things she will remember of her childhood, when she is grown with kids of her own. When are you and your son going to bullet proof a Ford 6.0 L PowerStroke as a project truck?[emoji6]
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #49

We didnt have shop class in my school growing up. It was a private school so no budget. I learned how to do carpentry interning for my uncle (ironically a shop teacher who did carpentry during the summer) over a few summers. Still love working with my hands and formed a strong bond with my uncle to this day. She will remember forever and should be proud.

Hands on is the best education. Well done!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 PM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Great job Doug, these are the kind of things she will remember of her childhood, when she is grown with kids of her own. When are you and your son going to bullet proof a Ford 6.0 L PowerStroke as a project truck?[emoji6]
Ha, no, no. I’ve watched too many people have 10-15 year project cars! Plus, you know... this fulltiming thing kinda puts a crimp on that! (Though, a buddy did do a Delete on his truck at campgrounds.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
We didnt have shop class in my school growing up. It was a private school so no budget. I learned how to do carpentry interning for my uncle (ironically a shop teacher who did carpentry during the summer) over a few summers. Still love working with my hands and formed a strong bond with my uncle to this day. She will remember forever and should be proud.

Hands on is the best education. Well done!
Thanks for the kind words! I did have shop class, fortunately. Biggest 2 things I learned: the sanding machine was awesome and table saws want to kill you with kickbacks.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #51
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Doug, not only table saws, so do politicians....LOL!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #52
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks for the kind words! I did have shop class, fortunately. Biggest 2 things I learned: the sanding machine was awesome and table saws want to kill you with kickbacks.

thats because every single shop teacher sets up and demonstrates the saw incorrectly. they want the blade to just barely come through the top of the wood. that forces the teeth cutting the board to push backwards. now crank that blade all the way up. the teeth are now pressing straight down, like a band saw. WAY less kickback. install a blade guard with kickpawl and feather board, remember your safety glasses and push stick. nice and safe!

Tags
slide