Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #1

Bullet Proofing Brand New

Hey all. I just bought a 2019 wildwood x-lite. I will be in it full time with 3 dogs and a baby. I DO NOT want to deal with issues down the line... I figured this would be a good way to find out the tips and tricks for what I need to look out for. Any lessons learned out there??? Anything you wish you did when yours was new? Anything that may need extra sealing, treatments, tightening down, preplanned mainanence, monitoring, consideration, etc? I’ve noticed a few spots that seem to need to be better sealed around the tub, some loose cabinet screws, and small things. Id love so advice from people who have had to resolve issues that could have been prevented. Thanks everyone!!
LiveLoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:41 AM   #2

Read your manuals and keeping up with maintenance will help.

Keep in mind this will be used as a home and even sticks and brick houses have issues.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #3

Be able to spot and fix little things, and it sounds like you have that down. Regular inspection and repair of roof seams is important. Seriously consider putting on Eternabond tape BEFORE you have a problem. Lots of info on that on the forum and on YouTube.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #4

ROOF, your unit Roof requires "Constant PM starting the Day you buy it"!! Next is All the outside "Caulking "any breach on the exterior! Youroo! !
Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #5

Agreed 110%. I have the roof checked every spring and fall.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #6

Bullet Proofing

Have a qualified company check the axles for proper alignment. No. one problem with blown tires. Also, repack all wheel bearings properly to get good wear. I don't believe these 2 items are given proper consideration by Forest River. Note...I have a 2014 32' Wildwood.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
jkoenig24

"DO NOT want to deal with issues down the line."

Good luck with that.

Yes, be proactive in Preventative Maintenance BUT, Feces occurs; it's just going to happen. Have a "Self Insurance Fund" set aside (at least several thousand dollars) for when you you unexpectedly find yourself in a jam. Tires ESPECIALLY need to be watched. AFTER you get your rig "Smart Weighed" you'll know what the proper inflation setting is correct for YOUR rig. If you haven't attended an RV Boot Camp, you should do so. Knowledge is power.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLife View Post
Hey all. I just bought a 2019 wildwood x-lite. I will be in it full time with 3 dogs and a baby. I DO NOT want to deal with issues down the line... I figured this would be a good way to find out the tips and tricks for what I need to look out for. Any lessons learned out there??? Anything you wish you did when yours was new? Anything that may need extra sealing, treatments, tightening down, preplanned mainanence, monitoring, consideration, etc? I’ve noticed a few spots that seem to need to be better sealed around the tub, some loose cabinet screws, and small things. Id love so advice from people who have had to resolve issues that could have been prevented. Thanks everyone!!
Are you going to be full time on the move or parked permanently full time? This will make the difference on some suggestions.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Team

For me, roof maintenance is #1. Most water intrusion problems are roof related and create the costliest problems.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Foam around floor penetrations where wires, plumbing or ducting (by bathtub possibly) comes through.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #11

Go up a grade in tires, add greased shackles and bolts, align axles, LED lighting inside and out if not already installed, 6-month inspections on roof, ensure windows are properly sealed.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Have a qualified company check the axles for proper alignment. No. one problem with blown tires. Also, repack all wheel bearings properly to get good wear. I don't believe these 2 items are given proper consideration by Forest River. Note...I have a 2014 32' Wildwood.
I too have a 2014 wildwood xlite and for 2 years I had problems with tires. 2 new axles and 4 new tires didnt do it, took to alignment shop and put 4 more tires and now it's fixed! I also had to replace the brakes on back axles cause it fell apart and locked it up! I dont believe they check none of that in factory, slap it on and roll it out! So my advise is keep a close eye out on the axles, tires and brakes.

Learned a lot from that experience!
happyttowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Are you going to be full time on the move or parked permanently full time? This will make the difference on some suggestions.
Yep... this is an IMPORTANT question that needs to be answered.

Suggestions about tires, suspension and moving parts are moot if the rig is going to be parked on a permanent basis.

And... welcome to the forum LiveLoveLife.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof