Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #1

Bunk end seals . . . is this too expensive.

We took our trailer n to some work done, I sent along the "free" bunk end seal kit that Forrest River sent us, and asked to have an estimate on having them install it.
The estimate is for $500.00 . . .
This seems like a lot, but I am wondering if anyone else has had their RV shop do it? What did they charge?
Has anyone installed them yourself? Was it difficult?

Thanks

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #2

That seems kinda high to me. While I've never done that particular job I have rebuilt the bunk ends on my old Palomino hard side popup many moons ago. I would say give it a shot and do it yourself or maybe enlist the help of some good neighbors or friends. Time and patience is key to doing work on RVs. Plus the reward of doing it yourself is priceless.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #3

I just googled it and found a bunch of installation pics. After looking at the pics we realized that we only need the outer gasket part of the seal kit done, not the whole thing.
It looks like a simple job that we could do in an hour.
Thanks for your encouragement!

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
endeavor to persevere

One of the problems with Forest river is they did a poor job of sealing the end of the bunk door where the hinge is.

I have a 2005 Roo 21SS that never leaked inside the camper....but water got in the front door and deteriorated the door up about a foot and a half. I got the seal kit from them and when I went to install it the door was just in too bad of shape.

I bought a new door from Forest River and when it came it too was not sealed worth a hoot. I resealed the door, installed the new seal kit plus a couple of extra rubber seals at the top.

They sent me extra seals so I had enough for the rear door. When I took the rear door off it too had some water in the door but not enough to replace the door. i dried it out and resealed the door real good and put in the replacement seals plus the extra rubber seals at the top. I have had no more problems.

The bunk doors did not leak when we got 25 inches of rain in two days a while back in middle Tennessee. If it didn't leak then it never will.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #5

Where would I look to check for water damage or leaking? Do you know where it came in? Is there any sealing I should do as preventative?
Thanks

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
endeavor to persevere

Here is the seal kit from Forest River. You can't use the hinge as it has changed but you can use every thing else. They seal the bottom of the door different now and the EPDM rubber that goes from the bottom of the door to the ledge is put on differently. The door must be removed and the bottom flange taken off to install this kit. Thats when you have opportunity to really seal the bottom of the door where water can't get in.

I can do the whole thing in about a day by my self.

Just scroll down for the kit how to...Its in the 5th post.

Forest River HTT Bunkend Field Fix Kit
Old 06-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #7

forest river/shamrock bunk end seals

I have read that there were problems with older shamrocks/forest river hybrid beds not having the proper seal. I have a 08 shamrock 183, does anyone know what year they started making the rubber seals better to fix the problem? Also can seam sealer be used on the interior seams? What should be used on the outside of the beds. What is that material?