Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Bunkhouse fear!!!!!!

So we are enjoying the heck out of our new Vibe......well everyone but the ones who we assign to the bunkhouse. They look up at the bunk above the sofa and cringe when their fear of it collapsing kicks in. They opt for the dinet or sofa couch. I had to build a rail to prevent the kids from rolling off the bunk above the rear TV in the bunkhouse also.

How much weight have you all out on your upper bunks? Specifically those of you with the flip up type? Have any of you had one break or collapse?

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #2

I weigh 185 and the flip up bunk is my bed of choice for my afternoon corporate nap. When we take the grandkids with us they always sleep in the bunks. No problems so far. I have heard of people putting a pool noodle under the sheet along the outside edge of the mattress to prevent kids from falling out.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

Our top bunk is rated for 250 lbs. It is above a similar size bunk and is partially enclosed by the bathroom wall. It reminds me of the railroad car sleeper bunks depicted in old black and white movies

Visually, it looks sturdy since it is connected to a wall, and I think the fact that the bottom bunk is the same size helps as well. If your bunk open and is over a similarly open sofa, it may be an optical illusion that it is unsafe.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #4

mine was rated 250....I slept many a afternoon up there with a belly full of sammiches @210 lbs...never an issue?

I wont say the thought of crashing to the ground crossed my mind EVERY time I crawled up there........LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunkhouse