Old 05-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #1

Buy a new 31 qbts?

We're thinking of buying a 2014 (new) 31qbts which would be used mostly in warm weather (Florida during the Winter). We have 5 kids so we need the space.

A few questions for the moment;

- what systems on the trailer typically fail first?

- does the woven tarp like material that covers the undercarriage get ripped from the wind flogging it?

- can/does the hot water heater provide enough on-demand hot water to take a shower or bath?

- must the air conditioner be powered by a generator while boondocking or can the tow vehicle provide the electrical supply?

- can the heater provide enough warmth when it gets cold? Let's say around 25 degrees?

I have a lot more questions but those should suffice for the moment.

As to extended warranties- I'm not interested in the dealers "service" as I would do all of the work on the trailer myself once the original warranty expires. What are your thoughts?

Any suggestions you can think of in addition?

Thanks,

Lars

Old 05-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #2

We have a 2014 kqbts and love it. Haven't had any failures, bottom material is strong. Hot water heater does great we have a family of four. A/c will need generator boondocking. Furnace heats trailer very well. Coldest we have camped in was around freezing and it did well. I didn't buy extended warranty either. Plan on doing the work myself. Check the tires when you buy. Mine has vail sport tires and the sidewalls rotted out in less than a year. Warranty is replacing them. Brian

Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkconlin View Post
We have a 2014 kqbts and love it. Haven't had any failures, bottom material is strong. Hot water heater does great we have a family of four. A/c will need generator boondocking. Furnace heats trailer very well. Coldest we have camped in was around freezing and it did well. I didn't buy extended warranty either. Plan on doing the work myself. Check the tires when you buy. Mine has vail sport tires and the sidewalls rotted out in less than a year. Warranty is replacing them. Brian

Brian,

Do you know how much power (watts) would be required to power the AC?

Do you know who the ac is made by?

Our tow vehicle is an EXCURSION and our brake controller is a Prodigy. The dealer said we need load distribution bars (which we do need to carry the tongue weight) and dual cam sway bars. They want around $700 for the setup. Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #4

X2.....especially the Vail Sport tires. Mine were also replaced for side wall rotting/cracking. Make sure all water line connections are tight.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
X2.....especially the Vail Sport tires. Mine were also replaced for side wall rotting/cracking. Make sure all water line connections are tight.
Did your tires fail within a year too?

Are all water lines accessible for replacement or must the floor/walls be torn apart to remove them?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

Tires were showing excessive wear after a couple of months of use. As
far as the water lines, most are accessible under the sinks. Hopefully yours will be checked prior to delivery, however mine was purchased in winter and was still winterized/air pressure checked from the factory.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

A/c is made by dometic not sure how much generator you will need. For the hitch I use the equalizer hitch and love it. You can find it online for around $500.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
Tires were showing excessive wear after a couple of months of use. As
far as the water lines, most are accessible under the sinks. Hopefully yours will be checked prior to delivery, however mine was purchased in winter and was still winterized/air pressure checked from the factory.
Under the sinks is where they stub up....if I'm not mistaken. Don't they run through the floor...or is the floor just a single plywood layer?

What do you mean by "excessive wear"? Was that caused by too many miles or just junky Vail tires as mentioned previously?

The tires are certainly something we'll insist upon. But I can hear the dealer already saying, "that was earlier models of that tire and the problem has been fixed". At my age I've heard that line way too many times.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkconlin View Post
A/c is made by dometic not sure how much generator you will need.

For the hitch I use the equalizer hitch and love it. You can find it online for around $500.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #10

I had excessive tread wear in the 1st few months. It has been at the dealer for quite awhile as they had to take measurements of axle installation and are currently in contact with Lippert the axle manufacturer. As the trailer was sitting at the dealer over the winter the sidewalls cracked and rotted so they were replaced by the tire installer Lionshead. Dealer still waiting on axle issue before they install new tires.