Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Buying a new trailer the day before Christmas

Hi Friends,
I have been away from the forum since the fall when we put our trailer in storage. I live in Canada, and our trailer season is short, especially since we had a hybrid shamrock and I did not want to expose it to the colder elements with the canvas wings. Our season was especially short this year, as I had fallen off our trailer step on the second day of our holiday and broken my ankle... Many of you were so encouraging to me as I recovered...thank so much. I will never forget having to climb over our dinette into our wing bed with a sore foot, all summer... And thinking we have got to get a trailer with a master bedroom.
Well it looks like we are about to take the plunge, because this week many of our trailer companies slashed their prices in order to clear their stock. The 31 ft trailer that we have been dreaming of for years has been reduced by $10, 000. And so we are thinking of buying it. The only weird part is that the trailer with the best price and floor plan is a Jayco... Oh dear.. I said that word out loud on my beloved Forrest River site!
Never the less.. I am still wanting to stay on this site of wonderful wise and encouraging trailer owners... As there truly is no group like this...

So, we will be selling the hybrid on the spring and graduating to a 31 ft trailer with a slide. One question that comes to mind... Does anyone use a back up camera on their trailer? I know some of the big driving rigs have them, but we are thinking of installing one on the new bigger longer trailer.
Can anyone recommend a brand?
Merry Christmas to all

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you have mended, and congrats on the new trailer. Just because you will be buying a Jayco, does not mean you have to give up this forum. Most appliances, towing items, and other operating systems are generic across the board.

BTW, I still frequent the Trailmanor forum, even though I sold my Trailmanor over 3 years ago.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The only reason I bought a Forest River was so I could stay on this forum

If I had known that ...

I'm kidding, I still would have bought the Shamrock.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

There are backup camera systems for trailers. most of them are wireless, but seem pretty costly to me. We have found a better solution. We have a pair of FRS walkie talkies. DW gets out and tells me where to go. Again! Seriously, we use standard hand signals and the walkie talkies and she does all the talking. I only listen. It is also a standing rule, if I cannot see her in the mirrors I stop and do not move again until I can again see her. We can back into some pretty tight places using this method. Only reason I can see positive for a backup camera would be to have a rear view mirror on while going down the road.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

By the way, Lady Wendolyn. I've talked with the guys at Tadi Brothers a bit about a system for my wife's van. I've found them to be very knowledgeable in helping to wade through all of the various options.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the encouragement ... We will try the Wilkie talkies... We are feeling a little intimidated by the extra ten feet... Of trailer.
But I am thinking ...it can not be that different parking this one.... of course it is DH who has to do it. We watched the movie "the long, long trailer" with Lucy and Desi Arnes a few years back... And DH has never gotten over the scene where Desi backs the trailer into the relatives house!

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #7

I found our 34' is easier to back up then our 21' hybrid was. It take a bit of practice and a DW that give excellent signals that makes the job easy. Don't rush and if it is not going the way you want it to. Stop and start over.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #8

congratulations on your new rig -- have fun

these start at around 110 dollars
GPS Backup Camera, Wireless Backup Camera RV truck
GPS Backup Camera, Wireless Backup Camera RV truck, Pan & Tilt handheld monitor, Pan & Tilt IP Network Camera, Dancing Daisy baby monitor, usb wireless video camera

Roadmaster VRBCS300W Wireless Backup Camera - Rear view camera with monitor

$130 online

Roadmaster USA is a leading after-market manufacturer who brings you mobile and home audio equipment as well as auto accessories and car care products. Roadmaster gives you a wide variety of affordable high quality products with many options and levels of performance. PRODUCT FEATURES: Complete with all accessories; Wide Angle Viewing; Monitor Mounts on Dash or Visor; For Use With 12 Volt DC Electrical Systems; Great for Cars, SUVs, RVs and Delivery Vehicles; Helps Avoid Accidents and Injuries.
Roadmaster VRBCS300W Wireless Backup Camera
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #9

One thing about a "backup" camera. It is difficult to get the true view of the area as the picture is not 3D. Using cameras for judging distances without a known reference can be dangerous. You can't beet a human spotter who is good with hand signals and has a communication device that the driver can just listen to. Many companies that used rear facing cameras have stopped using them. They were put there to give the driver the ability to see what was in the blind area behind them, however the drivers ended up using them for backing. Do to the lack of ability to properly judge distance, there were an increase in backing accidents.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #10

good with hand signals -- MountainLady in trainning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post

You can't beet a human spotter who is good with hand signals and has a communication device that the driver can just listen to.
yes my buddy suggested we get some walkie-talkies
got a couple now
it has been a little hard for the little MountainLady
to pick up on the hand signals
she has never done that before

God willing and the creek don't rise
heading out with trailer tomorrow
Christmas day

Mountainman
Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
There are backup camera systems for trailers. most of them are wireless, but seem pretty costly to me. We have found a better solution. We have a pair of FRS walkie talkies. DW gets out and tells me where to go. Again! Seriously, we use standard hand signals and the walkie talkies and she does all the talking. I only listen. It is also a standing rule, if I cannot see her in the mirrors I stop and do not move again until I can again see her. We can back into some pretty tight places using this method. Only reason I can see positive for a backup camera would be to have a rear view mirror on while going down the road.
This is not a frivolous response! We do exactly the same thing with 2-way radios; and it works great. Only difference from quoted post is that I depend on my wife to be on the side that I can't see. She is my fail-safe over there. She does a great job and it works great for us. $40 instead of an expense camera. Plus, she can observe the placement for slide, slope of the site, get us in the best possible position for leveling etc. To me, this is a superior solution to a camera. Just an opinion. Not knocking anyone's camera setup.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Hob

I'm not knocking your wife nor you. However, I think in the long run, a camera setup would cost much less than a wife. I still wouldn't trade my DW for anything.

Hob
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #13

We use the walkie talkies as well. DW says drivers side or passenger side to avoid the left/right confusion. Worked well so far--we're still married!
Congrats on the new Jayco. We were close to getting a Jayco until we found the v-nose Windjammer.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
Grape Escape

Considering the length of trailer you are looking at you may want to consider a 5th wheel. There are many advantages especially tow ease. Guess it depends on what you have as a tow vehicle but don't forget to consider this option. Forest River has some real nice lightweight 5th wheels out there.
Happy shopping
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #15

Thanks for all the advice.. I think we will get the back up camera, walkie talkies, and a second wife.. somwe have one on each side of the trailer.
Wait... If we get a second wife.. We will need an even bigger trailer...lol

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 12-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #16

MountainLady just one more THING I need for Christmas !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywendolyn View Post
I think we will get a second wife..

wait until I tell my wife MountainLady
what the ladies on this site recommend for backing up !!!
I think that I need one of those
or would I just be in double trouble ??

we just bought these little cheepies
at Best Buy - 30 dollars
they are very small - I like that
seem pretty clear also
do not think they will work for
miles and miles and miles as stated
but
should make it from the truck
to the back of the trailer !!!

Cobra - microTALK 16-Mile FRS/GMRS 2-Way Radio (Pair)

Model: CXT85| SKU: 9206557

3.0 of 5 (4 reviews)