Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

Buying a new TT or 5th wheel in US and exporting to Canada

There maybe many owners that consider upgrading to a new unit or are new to RV lifestyle that are from Canada. Many are attracted to buying in the US but are concerned the process may be to difficult or expensive. Recently I bought a new Columbus 320 RS and brought back to Alberta. For those out there that want to be reassured on the process, I would be happy to share my experience. The process may be similar for US owners looking to take advantage of the strong US dollar versus the weak Canadian dollar.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Calgary, Alberta The Stampede City
"The only things in life worth keeping are the things you give away"
North49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by North49 View Post
There maybe many owners that consider upgrading to a new unit or are new to RV lifestyle that are from Canada. Many are attracted to buying in the US but are concerned the process may be to difficult or expensive. Recently I bought a new Columbus 320 RS and brought back to Alberta. For those out there that want to be reassured on the process, I would be happy to share my experience. The process may be similar for US owners looking to take advantage of the strong US dollar versus the weak Canadian dollar.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I have done it twice myself, and many many many members in here have as well...It's pretty easy, almost as easy as buying a pair of shoes. With today's exchange on the money, not so sure it's worth it right now. And for the life of me....can't see why a US citizen would want to come up and buy in Canada, even with their stronger dollar. There is a reason why Canadians have gone to the US to buy, it's because the Canadian dealers charge a lot more...plus the Canadian dealers are buying them from the US manufacturer and paying in US dollars, so the increased exchange they are having to pay is passed directly on to you the consumer...there is no way an American is getting a better deal up here in Canada then what they can get in their own country.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #3
Site Team

There are a number of Midwest RV dealers, like RVW, that specialize in selling to Canadians.
they are experienced and will help you with your questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Exporting a RV to Canada

Thankyou for your comments, I worked with RV Wholesalers who took care of all the documentation to get across the border. When I arrived at Canada Customs, the process took 20 minutes and I was on my way.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thankyou for your comments, I worked with RV Wholesalers who took care of all the documentation to get across the border. When I arrived at Canada Customs, the process took 20 minutes and I was on my way.
Certainly wasn't that simple of a process when we imported our first in 2007, but was much more simplified and routine when we imported one in 2010.

As already mentioned that with the current poor exchange rate, it will act as further incentive for Canadian dealers not to discount much off MSRP.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I have done it twice myself, and many many many members in here have as well...It's pretty easy, almost as easy as buying a pair of shoes. With today's exchange on the money, not so sure it's worth it right now. And for the life of me....can't see why a US citizen would want to come up and buy in Canada, even with their stronger dollar. There is a reason why Canadians have gone to the US to buy, it's because the Canadian dealers charge a lot more...plus the Canadian dealers are buying them from the US manufacturer and paying in US dollars, so the increased exchange they are having to pay is passed directly on to you the consumer...there is no way an American is getting a better deal up here in Canada then what they can get in their own country.
That is not quite the truth! They have changed the export and import laws as of May 11/2014 Everybody who wants to trade in or buy in USA need a commercial broker now. Those of you want to trade their TT or motor home in USA need to have HS7 form before you attempt to cross the border. Only Commercial agent can import your TT into the US. Same as when you coming back with new one. Lots of paperwork. Free trade is ended as private owners use to deal with this issue. If you trade in your unit in US also you will not get back your GST difference. Think twice before you go for it.
Cheers
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervinglobal View Post
That is not quite the truth! They have changed the export and import laws as of May 11/2014 Everybody who wants to trade in or buy in USA need a commercial broker now. Those of you want to trade their TT or motor home in USA need to have HS7 form before you attempt to cross the border. Only Commercial agent can import your TT into the US. Same as when you coming back with new one. Lots of paperwork. Free trade is ended as private owners use to deal with this issue. If you trade in your unit in US also you will not get back your GST difference. Think twice before you go for it.
Cheers
Are you saying that the OP did not do as he said he did? The reason I asked is because he did not mention trading his old unit and neither has anyone else, I have looked into buying in the US and everything I have been told backs up what the OP said.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Are you saying that the OP did not do as he said he did? The reason I asked is because he did not mention trading his old unit and neither has anyone else, I have looked into buying in the US and everything I have been told backs up what the OP said.
You will need to have a commercial bonded broker to import your TT or your motor home into Canada. Period!!! I have not read all his post ... sorry. But not as easy as it use to be. I just bought my motor home in Texas and it was not easy. If you need more info PM me.
Good luck
Cheers
Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #9

This seems to cover any question on it...

Import An RV

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
This seems to cover any question on it...

Import An RV
Happy shopping
Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Cheers
The OP never mentioned trading in a TT in the US.. They simply said to go down, buy one and bring it back was hastlefree..
Transposrt Canada, RIV or the CBSA don't list anything about having to only be a broker to import into Canada.. Do import into the US, I cannot comment on, as I am a resident of north of the 49th and think it would be alot easier for me to sell my TT here than to take it south..

From the Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Q.. My trailer did not need to be registered in the U.S., why does it have to be inspected in Canada?
A.. Trailers are a prescribed class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act and require an RIV Inspection.
Registration requirements in the U.S. are not equivalent to registration requirements in each individual Canadian province or territory. All trailers less than fifteen years old, including: utility trailers, enclosed cargo trailers, low-chassis trailers, air braked trailers, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, horse/stock trailers, boat trailers, car dollies, portable air compressors, log splitters, wood chippers etc. are regulated by the RIV program.

Q.. Are trailers required to enter the RIV program?
A.. Trailers are a prescribed class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act and require an RIV Inspection.
All trailers less than fifteen years old, including: utility trailers, enclosed cargo trailers, low-chassis trailers, air braked trailers, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, horse/stock trailers, boat trailers, car dollies, portable air compressors, log splitters, wood chippers etc. are regulated by the RIV program, require an RIV inspection and are subject to the RIV import fee of $195 + tax.

Q.. What do I need to do before attempting to permanently import my trailer into Canada?
A.. Prior to purchasing and permanently importing your trailer into Canada, we strongly recommend the potential importer to contact our office in order to ensure the validity of the vehicle identification number (VIN). For any trailer to be compatible for import into Canada, it must first meet four basic requirements:
It must bear a legible, valid, 17-digit VIN that has been issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
It must bear a legible U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label, issued by the OEM.
It must bear a label, legibly indicating the vehicle's weight ratings (both GVWR and GAWR).
It must bear a label, legibly indicating the recommended tire pressures (PSI).
Note: Trailers with a GVWR of 4536kg or more, manufactured after September 1, 2007, must be listed as admissible under Section 11 of the Vehicle Import Compatibility List.
If any of these 4 basic requirements cannot be met, i.e., something is missing or illegible, the trailer will be considered incompatible with Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) and therefore inadmissible for import into Canada.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
The OP never mentioned trading in a TT in the US.. They simply said to go down, buy one and bring it back was hastlefree..
Transposrt Canada, RIV or the CBSA don't list anything about having to only be a broker to import into Canada.. Do import into the US, I cannot comment on, as I am a resident of north of the 49th and think it would be alot easier for me to sell my TT here than to take it south..

From the Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Q.. My trailer did not need to be registered in the U.S., why does it have to be inspected in Canada?
Registration requirements in the U.S. are not equivalent to registration requirements in each individual Canadian province or territory. All trailers less than fifteen years old, including: utility trailers, enclosed cargo trailers, low-chassis trailers, air braked trailers, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, horse/stock trailers, boat trailers, car dollies, portable air compressors, log splitters, wood chippers etc. are regulated by the RIV program.

Q.. Are trailers required to enter the RIV program?
All trailers less than fifteen years old, including: utility trailers, enclosed cargo trailers, low-chassis trailers, air braked trailers, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, horse/stock trailers, boat trailers, car dollies, portable air compressors, log splitters, wood chippers etc. are regulated by the RIV program, require an RIV inspection and are subject to the RIV import fee of $195 + tax.

Q.. What do I need to do before attempting to permanently import my trailer into Canada?
A.. Prior to purchasing and permanently importing your trailer into Canada, we strongly recommend the potential importer to contact our office in order to ensure the validity of the vehicle identification number (VIN). For any trailer to be compatible for import into Canada, it must first meet four basic requirements:
It must bear a legible, valid, 17-digit VIN that has been issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
It must bear a legible U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label, issued by the OEM.
It must bear a label, legibly indicating the vehicle's weight ratings (both GVWR and GAWR).
It must bear a label, legibly indicating the recommended tire pressures (PSI).
Note: Trailers with a GVWR of 4536kg or more, manufactured after September 1, 2007, must be listed as admissible under Section 11 of the Vehicle Import Compatibility List.
If any of these 4 basic requirements cannot be met, i.e., something is missing or illegible, the trailer will be considered incompatible with Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) and therefore inadmissible for import into Canada.
You still need a commercial bonded broker to bring it back to Canada!!!! Period !!!!! Before you come through the border you need to have a stamp from the US customs, They will not accept anything from private individuals anymore. It use to be very easy fax in all the papers 72 hours before you come through the border then pickup your papers from the US side and custom clear it in Canada, rules changed. Please do not argue with me I just went through hell and some, if you do not want to take my advice it's fine. Don't ! You will find out the hard way. Do not try to deceive others if you do not know the process. This not Including TT only motor homes or self propelled motor vehicles . Trading in your TT will also require a commercial broker if you trade it in the US. RIV will not tell you all this that was my problem. I have attached the new rules.
Cheers
Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #13
DDC

Quote:
You still need a commercial bonded broker to bring it back to Canada!!!! Period !!!!! Before you come through the border you need to have a stamp from the US customs, They will not accept anything from private individuals anymore. It use to be very easy fax in all the papers 72 hours before you come through the border then pickup your papers from the US side and custom clear it in Canada, rules changed. Please do not argue with me I just went through hell and some, if you do not want to take my advice it's fine. Don't ! You will find out the hard way. Do not try to deceive others if you do not know the process. This not Including TT only motor homes or self propelled motor vehicles . Trading in your TT will also require a commercial broker if you trade it in the US. RIV will not tell you all this that was my problem. I have attached the new rules.
Cheers
Ahh now I know what you are on about, you are referring to a motor home, the OP was talking about a trailer or fifth wheel and they are different, you needed the broker because yours has an engine period.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #14

No broker for Trailers, they are exempt. see RIV exemption below for trailers imported into Canada
Note: The following types of trailer are exempt and are not required to be on this list:
(a) a pole trailer, a pulpwood trailer, a wheels back trailer or a trailer designed to be used as temporary living quarters (i.e. travel / RV trailer);
(b) a low-chassis trailer (i.e. horse / stock trailer, boat trailer); and
(c) a trailer designed to interact with, or having, work-performing equipment located in or moving through the area that would be occupied by a horizontal member that meets the configuration requirements specified in the standard.

Motorized vehicles follow the broker protocol. I brought back my Columbus on the 15th of March 2015.

Brent
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #15

Glen,
No broker is required for travel trailers or 5th wheel trailers, they are exempt. On the 15th of March, I crossed at Coutts. Did not have to export the trailer at US customs, went straight to Canadian border. Paid only the GST on the unit. Arrived in Calgary, went on line and registered for the RIV trailer inspection ($195.00) then went to local Canadian Tire presented the form, they inspected the 5th wheel and charged me an addtional $4.00 per tire including spare, 5 wheels, $21.00, left 10 minutes later.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #16

Thumbs up

Quote:
No broker for Trailers, they are exempt. see RIV exemption below for trailers imported into Canada
Note: The following types of trailer are exempt and are not required to be on this list:
(a) a pole trailer, a pulpwood trailer, a wheels back trailer or a trailer designed to be used as temporary living quarters (i.e. travel / RV trailer);
(b) a low-chassis trailer (i.e. horse / stock trailer, boat trailer); and
(c) a trailer designed to interact with, or having, work-performing equipment located in or moving through the area that would be occupied by a horizontal member that meets the configuration requirements specified in the standard.

Motorized vehicles follow the broker protocol. I brought back my Columbus on the 15th of March 2015.

Brent
Right on
Old 03-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #17
WFD

Yes....and because TT's, 5ths are non motorized, they do not need to be presented to the US Customs first, you simply pull up to the Canadian Customs with it in tow, and have your paperwork in hand...Motorhomes are a different story altogether.
Also my experience has been that it is extremely difficult to trade a TT or 5th in the US coming from Canada. Majority of dealers won't touch it with a 10 ft pole because the whole aspect of titling the unit becomes complicated since we don't title in Canada. They would just as soon not have to deal with it.

For what it's worth...I have also imported 4 vehicles from the US...was also relatively simple as long as you did your homework, but with the new rules in place, I may be less inclined to do that now.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #18

It will come soon before you know it. We will have to do the same on trailers and many other things too. They are trying to block private people to go over and do big item shopping. Make it more difficult, times are changing to a big corporate world. They can do anything we can do nothing. It's just a another way to grab peoples hard earned money. Most brokers charge by % on the imported value. Same paperwork just the amount is different at the end of the bill. It's pathetic our government and a US adapted this. I guess this is a new job creation so it's all good. Are they trying to control us more or where we buy things? Ah not at all, just want to make more money.
Cheers
Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #19
DDC

Quote:
It will come soon before you know it. We will have to do the same on trailers and many other things too. They are trying to block private people to go over and do big item shopping. Make it more difficult, times are changing to a big corporate world. They can do anything we can do nothing. It's just a another way to grab peoples hard earned money. Most brokers charge by % on the imported value. Same paperwork just the amount is different at the end of the bill. It's pathetic our government and a US adapted this. I guess this is a new job creation so it's all good. Are they trying to control us more or where we buy things? Ah not at all, just want to make more money.
Cheers
As much as I would like to elaborate on this subject I know it would end up becoming a political argument so all I can say to my fellow Canadians is if Ervnglobal is right keep a big jar of vaseline hand.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
As much as I would like to elaborate on this subject I know it would end up becoming a political argument so all I can say to my fellow Canadians is if Ervnglobal is right keep a big jar of vaseline hand.
I should have not post this as it is out of the original topic. I apologize. I was just very upset how much money they stole out my pocket with “my consent”. I’m sure more of us buying big item products manufactured in the south. I just wanted warn people about this enormous expense which excluded us out of NAFTA. I’m sure there are many hidden “taxes” when our dealers, importers bringing products into Canada. That’s why we pay more as Canadians. I had to say this just at last. Sorry.....
Cheers

Tags
5th wheel, canada, wheel