Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Buying a truck

Looking for those with the most experience. Here is what I did, saw a truck I'm interested in, looked on the lot (2011 ram 2500 Laramie long bed), looked a couple times, did not exchange info with any sells man. Looked on the Internet and it specifically stated that the truck was pre owned not from an auction. So I called the dealership asked for sales and stated which vehicle I was interested in, I next asked to have open communication with the previous owner. Of course they have to ask permission etc. .... I'm curious of why they got rid of the truck, any issues, and last but not least what the dealer gave them on trade thus having a base line price. You should of heard the sells guys ,,,,uuuuuuuh when I stated the above, wonder how often they get that. He had no info on me, just that I was interested! Soooo give me the good bad and ugly?????
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Oh I did not specify my intentions, just wanted to chat with previous owner
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #3

I don't see how knowing what the dealership paid for the truck should matter. Either it's worth the price the price they are asking or not.

Dh is an electrical contractor, I'm a bookkeeper. I find it rude when a customer asks about the vendors profit margin. None of their business.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn View Post
I don't see how knowing what the dealership paid for the truck should matter. Either it's worth the price the price they are asking or not.

Dh is an electrical contractor, I'm a bookkeeper. I find it rude when a customer asks about the vendors profit margin. None of their business.
Uuuuuh when it comes to vehicles it's a huge difference, and RV's too.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...r-22447-2.html

Memorize this thread and the attached PDFs (courtesy of Edmunds.com) on how salesman operate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Confessions of a Car Salesman.pdf (286.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Confessions From the Dealership Service Department.pdf (68.6 KB, 38 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

If you know what you can afford and will pay, and the price they are asking is reasonable, what they paid, should be irrelevant.

If they paid 10k, and offered to me at 10k, I thought that was a good price, why should it be not a good price if they paid 8k?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn View Post
If you know what you can afford and will pay, and the price they are asking is reasonable, what they paid, should be irrelevant.

If they paid 10k, and offered to me at 10k, I thought that was a good price, why should it be not a good price if they paid 8k?
The dealer is not going to tell me what they paid for the truck, at least not the truth, the prior owner who has already got rid of the vehicle may very well tell me, they have nothing to loose! At least that is my thinking. 10/10 is great they made no profit then, not very likely!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #8

Chances are the dealer will not tell you who the previous owner was, nor give you contact info. If you do get it from them, stick with them as they could very well be a great dealer to work with. ****edit - assuming they have actually received approval from the previous owner****

Is the dealership a Dodge dealer? If so, ask them to pull a warranty/service report on the vehicle. Get a full carfax and compare the two. Look for variances. If you are really concered, pay a shop to go over it with a fine tooth comb for you.

What warranty is remaining on it? Could any issues be covered under factory warranty still?

Last but not least what the previous owner was offered for trade is probably of no value to you other than give you a false perception of what you think you might attempt to negotiate for a price. What you need to know is what cost the dealer has in it. The two are not the same. Why not just ask them that? Yes, my dealer has shared this with me (but I am a loyal customer).

Check fair market values via KBB, NADA,Edmunds, ebay, etc and determine the price you would be willing to pay. Strike a deal, and be done with it.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #9

you could always go on a cummins forum and ask for a VIN report it is free and most forums do it for their members, it also shows the owners name

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Thanks for the help
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I would not want to have a dealership give out my info to a potential buyer. Not because I have a problem talking about my previous vehicle but because I don't know anything about these people. I have a young child to think about in regards to that. I don't want to be harassed either. What if 20 potential buyers asked that same question. Would you want to talk to 20 people to explain why you traded a vehicle? Also think about if you traded the vehicle with no issues but somehow a few months into the vehicle, something fails and it is an expensive repair. The new owner thinks you've hidden something and begins harassing you for lying to them because they don't believe you told them the truth. Yes I do wonder why my truck was traded. I have my own theories. I have created my own story, my truck was in immaculate condition and low mileage. I decided it was owned by someone with a travel trailer who discovered the low payload when wanting to upgrade to a larger TT or 5er so they traded it on a bigger TV. I like my story it makes me happy. in reality do as suggested above in getting service/repair reports on the vehicle and get a mechanic you trust to check out the vehicle in question.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
I would not want to have a dealership give out my info to a potential buyer. Not because I have a problem talking about my previous vehicle but because I don't know anything about these people. I have a young child to think about in regards to that. I don't want to be harassed either. What if 20 potential buyers asked that same question. Would you want to talk to 20 people to explain why you traded a vehicle? Also think about if you traded the vehicle with no issues but somehow a few months into the vehicle, something fails and it is an expensive repair. The new owner thinks you've hidden something and begins harassing you for lying to them because they don't believe you told them the truth. Yes I do wonder why my truck was traded. I have my own theories. I have created my own story, my truck was in immaculate condition and low mileage. I decided it was owned by someone with a travel trailer who discovered the low payload when wanting to upgrade to a larger TT or 5er so they traded it on a bigger TV. I like my story it makes me happy. in reality do as suggested above in getting service/repair reports on the vehicle and get a mechanic you trust to check out the vehicle in question.
This is exactly why a reputable dealer will not tell you who the previous owner was (if indeed they even know as it could have been acquired at auction).

If they do give it out, who are they telling information about you?
Run away....
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Site Team

IMHO, if i were to trade-in a vehicle, it's not anyone else's business who i am and why i traded it in.
i would sue any dealer that gave my personal info to a prospective buyer.

now, if it was a private party sale, then that's a face-to-face thing and i, as a seller, would have no problems telling the buyer about the vehicle and why i was selling it.

but since i've never traded in a car and have sold all my previous vehicles myself, i can control what info i give out.
but if i ever did trade-in a vehicle and someone got my personal info from the dealer, man would i be pissed off.

and personally, if i'm buying a used vehicle, if the dealer doesn't have the background info, then it's none of my business and i would never even think of bothering the previous owner.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Agree 100%. And to support your theory that is close to the reason we traded our previous truck; 2011 with 20,000km. Great truck for whoever bought however I wouldn't be comfortable with the dealer giving my information to prospective buyers!

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #15

All good points I didn't consider, thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #16

I traded in a 1997 pickup in 1999 and the dealer called me and told me a prospective buyer had some questions he wanted to ask the original owner. He (the dealer) first asked me if there was anything wrong with the truck, or anything he should know about it. Then he asked if he dialed me up with the customer in the office, would I talk to the customer. Sure I would. The customer will not have my name, or my number, and if I want to continue to do business with the salesman, and get good deals with them, I see no problem with it. Now if the dealer wants to give out my first and last name, and my phone number... then we just crossed a line that would change my mind, but let me also say I work for a bank and have the ability to run reports on individuals for various reasons. One report always tells me every vehicle the individual ever owned, the vin, the plate number, etc. This stuff is easy to find, I think worrying about something like this is only bound to give one an ulcer.

The the OP, I think if you re-worded to the dealer that you would like them to call the individuals and allow you to speak with them, the request should be honored and if someone did that to me today, I would be happy to tell them about a vehicle I just traded.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #17

Your title is going to the new owner. It will have enough information to provide contact information. I have regularly contacted previous owners, generally after purchase.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote