Old 12-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #11

Buying a used trailer

Word of caution
I agree with checking the roof, but we did that and within a month we had to completely replace it for $5,000+. We bought a 4year old 40' Cardinal that we traveled from SC to
Houston to pick up. I knew I wanted the gell coat paint and the large back window and there were only 2 we could find on line. It had been in storage (covered, climate controlled) and we had 3 tires blow out...and 3 fenders torn up on our way home. That cost another $3,000 to replace tires and paint the new fenders. We do still love our unit but have had some expensive repairs we weren't bargaining for.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #12

Thanks! We got nervous about used & decided on new. We will be getting a 2015 Rockwood 2604 in the spring. Our 2010 still smells new & so many of the used trailers we saw weren't well cared for.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #13

i purchased a used 28ft forest river on craigs list. trailer is great we got an excellent deal just b sure to ask alot of questions and make sure u get the title
Old 12-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #14

We bought our TT from a dealer used. It was an 2011 that was less than a year old at the time. I looked at Craigslist extensively and found that i really didn't pay a premium from buying from a dealer especially once arrived at a number. Plus I knew that I was buying a unit free of a loan and the dealer threw in a 1 year warranty at no cost.

This time of year it might pay to look at the dealers lots, they may still have units that they took in after the fall show they would be really happy to unload.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #15

95% of the used campers I've ever looked at, even the ones that were a year old, were not well maintained. Many were smoked in and the majority had been owned by pet owners. Most bunkhouses had significant damage to the interior- apparently most people let their kids run wild in their campers. I sold a our 2012 Puma 30DBSS after 2.5 years of use and you couldn't tell anyone had ever camped in it, even though we had used it for ~150 nights. One minor ding on the outside from the lawn mower chunking a rock. Other than that, perfect. I wouldn't buy a used one now that wasn't in that type of condition, but apparently very few people are as anal about maintenance and upkeep as me. Plus, I can buy brand new from RVWholesalers for what local dealers want for 1-2 year old used campers, so why bother?
Old 12-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Many were smoked in and the majority had been owned by pet owners.
LOL just about every ad you see on craigslist and rv trader claims non smokers and no pets, which is odd because 90% of every camper I see has at least one dog, usually more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Plus, I can buy brand new from RVWholesalers for what local dealers want for 1-2 year old used campers, so why bother?
Eggsactly
Old 12-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #17

I consider myself lucky. We bought a 2005 Sun Valley 27' TT five years ago. We paid $7,500 and used it for four seasons in Florida. Replaced the microwave and thermostat during ownership. When we traded it I replaced the tires (nine years old, shame on me), had some soft floor issues repaired, and replace the awning. We spent about $2,400. total thinking I could sell it outright. But the dealer for our new rockwood made it to easy to trade it. I kept thinking that if I sold it and the new owner had issues with a 10 year old unit he would want some recompense. I think you get lucky with used RVs once in a lifetime. After reading the forum I don't think I will ever buy used again.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post

LOL just about every ad you see on craigslist and rv trader claims non smokers and no pets, which is odd because 90% of every camper I see has at least one dog, usually more...

Eggsactly
Dogs and campers don't mix for me, why we never buy used...just the thought of someone's furry friend dragging it's rear end all over the carpet, sofa or bed to scratch an itch....yikes!! LOL
Old 12-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Dogs and campers don't mix for me, why we never buy used...just the thought of someone's furry friend dragging it's rear end all over the carpet, sofa or bed to scratch an itch....yikes!! LOL
Wow. I had only considered the wet, nasty feet getting tracked in. And the dog smell. Now that you've brought up butt scratching on the floor/sofa/etc., it's at a whole new level.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Boy you guys need to live I mean really live in an RV. Did you trade in your RV (at auction pricing?), did you buy your house from blueprints? Yes I will only buy new. I have three dogs, shampoo thee to four times a hear, replaced some carpet, floated a floor and yes I also love camping with the grandchildren. Scratch and dents are part of value and part of life....

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer