Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Buying a used trailer

We are debating between buying a new or used trailer. Found one on line (Craig's list & Kijiji) that seems "too good to be true". Before we travel 200 miles to look at it, is there any way I can check on liens against it or any other funny business.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Maris
2010 Shamrock 23SS
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Old 10-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #2

not everything on Craigslist is bad, but it has more scams than anywhere. I would ask lots of questions and demand lots of pictures before wasting time. If they aren't cooperative, than better off not to deal with them, for obvious reasons.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #3

Thanks Dave & Lynn - one of the new trailers we are looking at is actually a Coachman Catalina. Lower end than yours but we like the layout. I did ask for a VIN# and where he purchased the TT from. I'll see if he responds.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I am not aware of any way to verify there are no liens other than seeing the title in person (NOT the registration of course). A lien against the vehicle is only an inconvenience anyway. You would just meet the seller at their bank to close the deal. If the seller owes more than the selling price, the seller would have to have the difference on hand at the time of sale.

Did you find the ad in his territory, or was he advertising it in your territory? My opinion on long distance CL deals is that if the seller is advertising in areas other than their own, then they need to "go the extra mile" to help with the sale. If I find a long distance deal in another area, then the extra effort is all on my shoulders (it's great when they still help though).

As previously mentioned, ask for pictures. I suggest a lengthy "interview" of sorts over the phone before traveling (ask about the title at this time). If you feel good after the call, make the trip! If you get an uneasy feeling after the call, I would say your done.

FWIW, I bought our "used" (4 weekends) trailer private party over long distance (over 2000 miles). Deciding whether or not to make that trip was one of the more difficult decisions I ever made. In the end, I am VERY glad I did.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #5

Green Imp
Thanks for your suggestions. I did get a VIN number from the seller. He bought the trailer privately. We won't be travelling as far as you did but I may have my husband call him. If I can convince him to have a look. What did make me a little nervous is that I found the add on Kijiji as well as an earlier add on Craigslist. Under the add on Craigslist was a warning about "too good to be true" prices and then it was listed at a reduced again price on Kijiji. If we do go to look I will post. The pictures look great, but I know that we have to see it to be sure.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

we love our Coachmen. It isn't any better or worse than any of the other 2 brands we have owned.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #7

We bought our 2011 from craigslist 3 years ago to the month. You just have to do as you would with any ad whether autotrader or the local paper. Go slow and ask to see registration paperwork, title or even bank loan papers. Ask him if he would mind taking you to his bank to speak with the loan department. CYA

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413737875.929550.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	773.6 KB
ID:	64993

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
Under the add on Craigslist was a warning about "too good to be true" prices and then it was listed at a reduced again price on Kijiji.

You haven't mentioned any numbers, so the "Too good to be true" prices they are referring to are more like a $20,000 vehicle for say 3 or $4,000. This is almost ALWAYS accompanied with a sob story and a request for money sight unseen. If the deal is more like a $20,000 trailer for say $15,000, than it is more likely a "fire sale" or in other words someone desperate to sell fast. This can be for financial reasons or due to problems with the trailer. A good thorough inspection is about the only way to protect yourself from the latter. Another way to expose scams is to search for the same vehicle ad in other parts of the country. Scammers normally write one ad and post it in dozens or even hundreds of places...sometimes changing a few words.

You can use Search Tempest to search all Craigslist sites across the country at once in seconds. Choose your search words from the ad you found to narrow down the results.
SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

Oh yeah..one more thing. I will often do a Google search on any (verified) information I have about a seller (phone number, address, business name, etc.). You can learn a lot this way sometimes, but often times get no useful results.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #9

Thanks. I'll try that. The trailer was new in 2011 for 31,000. It checks out. Now asking 12,000. We will contact the seller next week & go see it if it hasn't sold. Not a HUGE discount but by far the cheapest in the trailer we are looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Maris
2010 Shamrock 23SS
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Old 12-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #10

Be sure and take a ladder with you and check the roof, have the water tank filled up to check the water system. There is a "walk through list" available online. Or ask on this forum

Tags
trailer