Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #11
Moderators' Assistant
We bought our HTT from a dealer 2000 miles away.
FR found us a number of local dealers who would do the warranty work.
Would do the same thing again.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
Living in a large metropolitan area like Houston, you would of thought I would have bought local. Nope.

None of the dealers wanted to play ball. Too many "big fish" who buy on impulse and do not understand the game. They would rather keep their inventory and wait for the next person who thinks they are getting a great deal when they toss out that "low" price.

If you pay more than 30-35% off of FACTORY list price, you paid too much.
Another game they play. They inflate the Retail price.

Go to the manufacturers website, build your unit the way you want it, go out for bids on the internet, and then hit your local dealer over the head with your quotes. If your lucky, they will come within about $1000 of your on line quote but they did pay shipping.

But, in my case, I had to go 1200 miles for the best price. But, it was worth the thousands I saved and I got to tour the factory where my unit is built.

I prefer to service my own units and most manufactures will find someone to work on your unit if required.

Don't be the next "Big Fish".

2016 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS = "Madame Maxime"
Maxxis M8008 E rated Tires and 16" Wheel Upgrade
Dual A/C, 14K Equalizer WD hitch with SC
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
itch'n to road trip
We purchased our first trailer from a dealer that was 8-9 hours away. Never had a minuets problem with that camper. Great dealer , had us stay there for several days to work out any kinks.

Our current trailer we purchased from a local dealer (one hour away) and it has been a nightmare! This unit spent 16 weeks at the dealer the first year getting work done. And we continue to have issues with the unit. Only two years old and now the roof is leaking!

They both were Forest River products.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga. -
Nights camped Not Enough 2014: 8 2015: 2
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #14
Toy Haulin' Full Time!
I always try to buy local. I will even pay a grand or 2 more to buy local. Our most recent rv purchase was $17 THOUSAND less to drive 1250 miles (bottom line trade difference) and so far, local dealers happy to work on it.
Earvinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #15
Unless you have a local dealer with a reputation for exceptional service after the sale; I'd say purchase wherever you can get the best deal.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
If you want to be that mr feel good guy and buy local and that's ok but don't think for a New York second you will get better service .once you sign on the dotted line you become just like any other customer . I myself went to FLA for my unit it was all about dollars and cents saved a lot .so if something goes bump in. The night I just use. The money I saved to pay to fix or if something major. Go to factory
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
It's a sorry fact that there are plenty of dealers who are ready and willing to sell units and very few who have a similar commitment to service after the sale. Unfortunately, it will probably take a catastrophic event and significant financial impact to make any meaningful changes to the industry.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #18
I'll buy where the price is right.I did on our 5er and will do it again.I have yet to have a problem that happened in my driveway. I may be just lucky,but I'll chance it. I'm pretty handy and can do most repairs. My dealer in Tulsa sent me parts or had them drop shipped. I'll buy from Jim at Hunter RV again.I can save many $$$$$$ and drive the three hours if I need to.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
We drove an extra 30 miles for our Wildcat Maxx 5er, and saved about $12k over the closest dealer with what we wanted. The service isn't the greatest at either dealer, though we get great service at a dealer 40 miles in the other direction with no questions about where we'd bought it. We would have purchased from them if they'd had the floor plan we wanted.

Sally from Oregon
2015 Wildcat Maxx 272RLX
Towed by a 2015 F250
smc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #20
Originally Posted by timothy clancy View Post
I read so many stories regarding many fellow rv owners buying from dealers several hours from them then having a lot of problems with their units. Just curious how much are you saving.? And in the end is is worth it? Especially trying to take it back for warranty work or worse trying to find a dealer closer who will actually fit you in . Before we bought our now second camper I thoroughly compared the 7 dealers within an hour from me,comparing pricing , service and any and all reviews on line, even visiting 5 of the seven ( the other 2 were both camping worlds) to see their parts and service areas before buying.

Clancy vibe272bhs
I wish I had 7 dealerships in my area to choose from. I'm looking for a new TT and the nearest dealer is over 4 hours away (according to the manufacturers web site). Does anyone know any good web sites to go to for info on dealership reviews?

myezlife is offline   Reply With Quote