Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #21

We encountered the produce checkpoint in 1985 when I was being stationed in San Diego. I think we had to give up a couple of oranges.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I've never heard of a state having a checkpoint entering from another state for anything. Why am I not surprised that it's CA.

I'm sure if you tell them that you're only smuggling illegal aliens, or pot from CO, but no other veggies or produce, they'll let you through no problem...
IIRC, all border States with Mexico have checkpoints.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznsa View Post
IIRC, all border States with Mexico have checkpoints.
What is really barzar about California's station is that if you travel from Nevada the next state the inspection station is 50 miles into cal. on 80 before you get to it in Truckee. Now someone tell me the sense in that. I use to ski in truckee, and every year it was the biggest joke yet. If your going to have a boarder stop "PUT IT ON THE STATE LINE" I can joke about it being I'm from California SF. and raised our family there for 25 years. Tax's ran us out and we moved to Virginia, talk about extremes......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #24

They will do random checks like every 8th rv. Most they just ask if you have anything and were you are coming from if you say no then they let you go. however if you are coming from a state that has a watch list for insects they will check your rv. All they will do is confiscate plants fruit vegies.
But get this now. I have a 2nd property in Reno and did some work there one weekend. When coming home to California they stopped me and noticed in the bed of my truck a bag of recycled cans. They pulled me aside and wanted me to fill out a 2 page form so I can be charged for bring in recycled cans to the state.
The state has a new law stopping such cans from coming across the boarded to collect the .05 per can recycle rate.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote