Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Calling all cooks

New Sierra, new RVer. Have a 3 burner Suburban stove. All 3 burners are small diameter and using a standard skillet does not work well, hot spot in the middle. what cain I do to disperse heat mor evenly. I know I can use smaller pans, but I have a big appetite. Just bought the trailer so my budget doesn't allow for high dollar heavy bottom pans. What to do?

In the future when the budget is better, is there an upgrade stove with a larger burner. I would be happy to give up 3 for 2 burners to do this. My "gorumet" meals are just not what they used to be.
dick773434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig. You said your skillet was not big enough. We bring an electric skillet and use it outside to cook allot of things. Also you could get a two burner stove at an outdoor store and run a connection to your propane tanks. They are much bigger and can handle larger pots & pans. I try to do most of my cooking outside when I'm camping. Hope that helps. .
Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We bought a set of frying pans that have the rings on the bottom that dispurse the heat throughout the pan. We bought them at Kohls. I know they're Farber Made pans with a small rubber piece on the handle for your thumb. I believe they come in a bunch of colors. We have 7", 9", and 12" pans. They all work fine on our 3 burner stove. Although the 12" works best on the front high output burner.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #4

I have never noticed any problem with my pans not getting even hear either. I do have a slightly smaller set of pans than I have at home but not by much. DH usually grills and I just make a few side dishes inside unless it is extremely hot or cold out. I know I have seen pans advertised that distribute the heat evenly but I can't remember what they are.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #5

I second the electric skillet we never camp without it also use a electric kitchen kettle bought this at walmart can be used as a dutch oven or a deep fryer or a slow cooker it works like a skillet you can control the temp
Old 08-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #6

We no cook inside.

Cook outside.

Lectric skill-it.
Large gar griller.
Whatever is needed to do job.

This way, trailer not smell like food.

I not try lick walls at night when wake up hungry.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegStealer View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig. You said your skillet was not big enough. We bring an electric skillet and use it outside to cook allot of things. Also you could get a two burner stove at an outdoor store and run a connection to your propane tanks. They are much bigger and can handle larger pots & pans. I try to do most of my cooking outside when I'm camping. Hope that helps. .
Hi, Kegstealer: When cooking outdoors, do you ever use the propane fitting that's located under the 186 Sport on the starboard side? I didn't even know I had this capability until someone showed it to me. I've never used it, but I guess it would be a good place to mount a grill or just hook a line to it.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

mjones, my Jayco had that outside propane connection. I had a pigtail made up so I could run a portable BBQ (rather that the RVQ) & a Coleman stove.

My 2106 doesn't have a external fitting, so I just use a Stay-A-While adapter & hose to fuel my BBQ.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #9

Mjones: Yes we use it all the time. When I ordered the little camper I ordered it with the outside grill option. It came with a mount just above the propane connection to mount the grill and the appropriate quick disconnect hose.The grill works good as long as it is not to windy.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #10

Linda and I cook outside the trailer ... we have an electric skillet, George Forman grill, a big crock pot, a coleman stove with hose connected to a large LP bottle, we have cooked with a coffee can and a candle ... my Brownie troop loved it.

A cast iron skillet works well on the stove.

Good Eats
JERRY&LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
My 2106 doesn't have a external fitting, so I just use a Stay-A-While adapter & hose to fuel my BBQ.
Update, today I found an uncapped "T" fitting on the RH side frame rail. I should be able to have a quick connect fitting plumbed to it .

Old 08-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Update, today I found an uncapped "T" fitting on the RH side frame rail. I should be able to have a quick connect fitting plumbed to it .
Sure, but remember that the gas pressure will be low because is was regulated by the regulator on your tanks.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Sure, but remember that the gas pressure will be low because is was regulated by the regulator on your tanks.
Yeah, I realized that today. I guess I'll just continue to use the portable BBQ & Stay-A-While adapter of the propane bottle.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick773434 View Post
New Sierra, new RVer. Have a 3 burner Suburban stove. All 3 burners are small diameter and using a standard skillet does not work well, hot spot in the middle. what cain I do to disperse heat mor evenly.
Google Flame Tamer or Heat Diffuser.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #15

Calling All Cooks

I have the idea that a electric skillet is the way to go. For the outside cooks, the 100+ weather is a deterrent to my outside cooking at this time. Call me a sissy, but aint gonna stand by a fire in this weather. Gotta say I didn't know the front burner was high output and that has helped. I have been using the back burners to help suck the heat outside with the vent. I thank you and all till we get to 80 degrees will be looking for electric appliances.
dick773434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to jerr7
Have a nice Farber wear skillet for 40 years that we use outside and also a nice Rival griddle, i dont cook alot inside , but i have gourmate meals. I really dont like the oven inside i rather have a choice of a counter unit.Get yourself a nu wave counter top cooker .Its awsome and now have plenty room inside .The oven is a waste, IMOHO
jerry
https://community.webshots.com/user/j...host=community
jerr7 is offline   Reply With Quote