Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

Camp Ground water ??

Getting ready to start my first season of camping. Question is, campground water I feel confident it can be safely used for a shower and washing dishes. Is it also ok for your morning coffee ? I have a water filter to filter or clean the water once it is inside the TT. Is that enough ? Do most campers carry the drinking and coffee water in separate containers.. thanks in advance I am sure I will have many more questions . Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #2

We use an external water filter attached to the campground water source along with the filter inside the TT. Have never had a problem.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

I filter the water BEFORE it goes in the trailer.

I would pre boil the water if I was going to cook or drink any water that comes from a well.

We pack bottled water just in case.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Always Learning

We make ice, coffee, and baby bottles from the campground water. Even brush our teeth with it. However, for drinking- we use bottled water in 2.5gallon jugs (they fit nicely in the camper fridge) and keep bottled water on hand for convenience. We don't have any health concerns- we're just very picky about taste (we even are picky about *which* bottled water we drink).
Old 02-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

We always bring bottle water for drinking and cooking...mostly because we don't like the taste of campground water as each area has different means of providing water & filtration.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We use campground water for all our cooking, washing, brushing teeth, etc... Generally I trust the onboard water filter to handle most of the issues.

For coffee, MIO, etc., we generally use water from the case of Dasani or Aquafina the wife always has around.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

I filter water before the RV, and use it for cooking (boiling pasta, water for food prep, etc.) But for drinking of just water I carry 2x5 gallon water bottles and usually a case of .5 liter for taking with me. While I never had an issue with most of the local campground water I have had the time or two where it was an issue. I also had an issue of one of my dogs seeming to have digestive issues at random. After 2 years of trying to figure out if it was nerves from traveling or something else I went to the water jugs. For the last 3 years, I have had no issues with the pups and at least my coffee tastes the same no matter where I make it. 10 gallons will last me more then my 2 week vacation, and I think I used about a half a case of water bottles and most of that was while on the road to and from.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Broken Toe

I usually don't even hook up to campground water. I bring mine from my house in the fresh water tank. Not that I don't trust campground water... I just don't see the need for the hassle.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #9

We use a filtered Brita water pitcher that is sort of oblong and fits nicely in the fridge. Keeps us from sending too many bottles to the landfill. Same thing at home.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #10

Sounds like we all live in a third world country with all the water filtering going on. Just saying.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Site Team

luckily, in most areas out on the West Coast, campground water is nearly always good.
we usually fill our FW tank with water from home and since we almost always dry camp.
we will shuttle campground water if we run out of our home water.
we do have the standard water filter that came with the trailer.

we use home and campground water for everything, including drinking/coffee water.
our society has become brainwashed regarding bottled water. i can imagine my grandparents' shock, if i told them that people are paying for water, instead of using the basically free water from home. and the water costs more than what they're paying for gasoline, anywhere from 3x and up versus the cost of gasoline.
http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...-bottled-water
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #12

you spent all that time driving to the camp site and drank the water .now u will spend longer on the toilet. we drink bottled water
huricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Sounds like we all live in a third world country with all the water filtering going on. Just saying.
Not me- I'm a prima dona!

We carry 3 of the 2.5 gallon water jugs and 2-3 cases of water. My family of 4 goes through about 1.5 - 2 gallons of drinking water a day.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #14

I work for Dr Pepper / Snapple Group. When we started selling bottled water 15 - 20 years ago, I couldn't stop laughing 'cause I thought nobody is going to buy water when one can get it for free. We now sell just as much water as we do soda.
Ol Poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Poopypants View Post
I work for Dr Pepper / Snapple Group. When we started selling bottled water 15 - 20 years ago, I couldn't stop laughing 'cause I thought nobody is going to buy water when one can get it for free. We now sell just as much water as we do soda.
Does your name come from (Drinking Water)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #16

Depends on the campground & area in NN VA we used the campground water. Just about everywhere else we also use the campground water sometimes filtered sometimes not never any issues. In Myrtle Beach the water tastes salty & the campground we go to provides free purified water (you provide the container). We do wash, shower, brush teeth with the campground water everywhere.

We do drink bottled water but that is more of a habit........ oh wait that might not have been water a little too strong for that. Arrrrgg the guy might be out of business......... feds are no fun they want their tax.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by huricane View Post
you spent all that time driving to the camp site and drank the water .now u will spend longer on the toilet. we drink bottled water
i've been camping for over 30 years now and backpacked in the Sierras for a number of years and i've NEVER had any such "toilet" issues.

did use iodine tablets when backpacking but never had any issues with campground water, in those 30+ years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #18

we always have filters before the camper....for city water connects....we prefer bottled water tho as it tastes better (usually but some citys have nice water systems)

quite honestly id be more worried about drinking water from my holding tank than the hose/filter i filled it up with....LOL..i mean we sanitize it n all, but i cant see in there....so hmmm!!

we have drank from it before without issue tho.....so if we HAD to we would....

just whatever ya know...its camping....ive drank from old hoses in a cotton field!? hahha
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

i've been camping for over 30 years now and backpacked in the Sierras for a number of years and i've NEVER had any such "toilet" issues.

did use iodine tablets when backpacking but never had any issues with campground water, in those 30+ years.

X2. Backbacking on the app. trail we filtered the water, never suffered issues. We have also never had an "toilet" issues from a campground water, just taste at times. My hubby complains more about a plastic taste from the hose no matter which hose I buy or how much I rinse it.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #20

We bring our drinking water from home (tap). Our small parrot camps with us and had some problems with campground water. Bird vets aren't cheap! We use the campground water with an outside filter for everything else. One campground we stayed at had a lot of sulfur in their water. The smell was terrible and the color of the water in the swimming pool wasn't too inviting!

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water