Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Camper got hit

We were driving down the highway to our next campground. We were in the right lane doing 65 when a gentleman pulled next to us in the middle lane. He apparently dozed off and faded into our lane hitting the side of our camper at the front cargo bay. His pickup truck proceeded to scrape along the whole side of the camper until he woke up. I actually only felt a slight bump and when I looked in the side mirror, I saw some plastic flying. It was his side mirror. I thought that I had a blowout until we actually pulled over. The gentlemen did pull over also and was a very nice man that felt bad for what happened. Thank God that now one was injured. It could have gone a lot worse. Well, I guess I will have to find a body shop. Moral of the story is , please be safe and watch the people around you.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

Wow. Glad everyone is safe and no injuries. That could have been a real bad situation.
TNVJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

My parents had the same thing happen. Tore the back corner out. Water heater dangling by the propane line. They patched it back together (took bathroom door off to use on the outside) and continued on their trip. Just didn't have a bathroom door that trip.....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #4

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get it fixed quickly.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #5

If you think about it, you, quite possibly, may have saved that man’s life. If you weren’t there beside him, he would have continued to veer off of the road until he crashed very abruptly. You, with your trailer beside him, gave him time to wake up and correct himself.

Your trailer may have suffered some damage, and your life was put at risk, but in the end, everybody came out of this alive.

I’m glad you were there at that moment, but I am sorry for you and the damage to your trailer. Your trailer can be fixed. There is no fixing death.

Be very thankful things happened the way they did.

Bruce
Old 11-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
If you think about it, you, quite possibly, may have saved that man’s life. If you weren’t there beside him, he would have continued to veer off of the road until he crashed very abruptly. You, with your trailer beside him, gave him time to wake up and correct himself.

Your trailer may have suffered some damage, and your life was put at risk, but in the end, everybody came out of this alive.

I’m glad you were there at that moment, but I am sorry for you and the damage to your trailer. Your trailer can be fixed. There is no fixing death.

Be very thankful things happened the way they did.

Bruce

I am glad to see that others think like me and my wife. We said the exact same thing while we were waiting for the police officer to do all of his paperwork. We even told the gentleman that hit us that, if our camper saved his life than we were happy to be there. I think it made him feel better. I could tell that he felt pretty bad for what happened. Gods ways are certainly better than mine.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #7

Saus, sorry to hear about the damage to your RV. Glad it turned out okay and no one was injured.

I'm assuming you were able to continue on your trip?

When the insurance adjuster comes out, be sure he leaves it open ended for any unseen damage that might be found when they actually start repairs.

When we had body repairs done, unseen damage almost doubled the original amount the adjuster found.

Good luck and hope your damage is fixed easily.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Saus, sorry to hear about the damage to your RV. Glad it turned out okay and no one was injured.

I'm assuming you were able to continue on your trip?

When the insurance adjuster comes out, be sure he leaves it open ended for any unseen damage that might be found when they actually start repairs.

When we had body repairs done, unseen damage almost doubled the original amount the adjuster found.

Good luck and hope your damage is fixed easily.

Thanks for the info. Never would have thought of it because I have never had to file an insurance claim on a camper.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #9

We went to Georiga for Thanksgiving, I was cut off once by a truck driver, and another decided he wanted my lane, he played on his horn as he was moving into it, I had to swerve to the left and lucky the car next to me had room to move over to the shoulder a bit . We were lucky and in the center lane. Glad you were okay with your family. Things can happen quick. I was going 60 in a 70 mile zone and in heavy rain, but I had to move to the center lane to let people merge, I do not like driving in Alanta.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
We went to Georiga for Thanksgiving, I was cut off once by a truck driver, and another decided he wanted my lane, he played on his horn as he was moving into it, I had to swerve to the left and lucky the car next to me had room to move over to the shoulder a bit . We were lucky and in the center lane. Glad you were okay with your family. Things can happen quick. I was going 60 in a 70 mile zone and in heavy rain, but I had to move to the center lane to let people merge, I do not like driving in Alanta.

We were on I75 south just south of Atlanta.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
To this I say a big AMEN!!!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Had this happen to our Room on its second trip out. On 90 in Wisconsin about 30 minutes from Devils Lake. Traffic started slowing down due to a sheriff in the outside shoulder. Lady driving in the next lane was not watching and she swerved into me, and bounced off hitting a second time. Took out a portion of the wall and broke the axle. Fortunately no one was hurt.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
I am glad to see that others think like me and my wife. We said the exact same thing while we were waiting for the police officer to do all of his paperwork. We even told the gentleman that hit us that, if our camper saved his life than we were happy to be there. I think it made him feel better. I could tell that he felt pretty bad for what happened. Gods ways are certainly better than mine.
Spectacular perspective for you all. I’ve been that sleepy driver only I bounced off of a guard rail. Have a sleep machine now!
Old 11-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:

And you didn’t even stop by to say hello. You’re off the Christmas card list now!
Old 11-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #15

Couldn't find your address. Other wise you would have a begger knocking at your door...[emoji847]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
And you didn’t even stop by to say hello. You’re off the Christmas card list now!

Old 11-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #16

That's were it happened to me, then also on 285 by pass, it's a zoo down there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
We were on I75 south just south of Atlanta.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Couldn't find your address. Other wise you would have a begger knocking at your door...[emoji847]

I’ll shoot it to you. I also have a spare 50a outlet to plug you in.

Tags
camper