Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Camper Grill

I just purchased a new TT that came with a Grill that attaches on a strip outside the camper. When I place the grill on the strip, it sits only about 2 away from the camper. My awning is extended over the top. Is this safe for the camper? The awning? it seems to me that the heat will destroy the camper fiberglass or the awning? But surely Forest River tested this right? Anybody have one that can give me some thoughts on the safety of the item? thanks to all in advance. my first post!
Kennn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Travelers 500,000+

Camper grill

We have one with our Rockwood. We've used it a few times with the awing out and didn't have any problems at all. Didn't feel hot against the trailer. Happy grilling!!!
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

I have not been able to use my 5th wheel B.B.Q. that came with the Unit as there is almost no pressure flowing to the Unit. Dealer checqed it out and said that all was good safety wise. So now I pack my portable propane unit and the low pressure unit is gathering dust in my crawl space. any ideas on how to increase the propane flow from the 5th wheel system?

thanks,

The Goose
canada goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Site Team

been using ours on our Roo for over 5 years now, with no problems or issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #5

I had the same concerns with the grill. After searching and reading several post we started using it. No issues with heat at all. I wish they could have given us an extra few inches of gas hose with it. I is uncomfortably tight. I purchased a few fittings this weekend and will change how it connects to the grill. That will change the connection and should gain a couple of inches. We have cooked with the awning down without issue.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

7 years using ours and no issues.
We liked the grill soooo much we kept it from our last camper and I'm installing on our new one.

Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #7

I have an original RVQ and it sits the same distance away.
Awning out no worries. Low temp and less smoke is a goal to shoot for.
and if your like me - advise the better half if your cooking something which does smoke to close the kitchen window. The smoke detector system was my last thing in the trailer to test successfully.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
I had the same concerns with the grill. After searching and reading several post we started using it. No issues with heat at all. I wish they could have given us an extra few inches of gas hose with it. I is uncomfortably tight. I purchased a few fittings this weekend and will change how it connects to the grill. That will change the connection and should gain a couple of inches. We have cooked with the awning down without issue.
Agreed in fact the gas line would not even reach the fitting on the grill, ended up buying an extension with the quick connect plug in connection and even has another gas shut off valve too. We have used ours with no heat problem being that close to the camper.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #9

The one that came with our TT sits at least 2 feet (I think that's what your saying) from our side-wall. We have used it once and had no problems with heat. The paperwork that came with the grill said not to use it under an awning. I had no problems and chalked it up to the mfg of the grill not taking any responsibility If you burn up your awning with their grill.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote