Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

camper security

Hey all, looking for advice on the best way to secure our 2007 RW Premier 2516g ? ..... I understand its a tent trailer and not fully hard sided so if someone wants in, they'll get in .... but looking for an idea on how to securely lock the 1 piece door.

We were supposed to go camping for the long weekend but have since backed out as its more of a "party campground" with lots and lots of 18-40yr olds who will be roaming everywhere. We would like something that is a detourent to them if were not at our site and they attempt to enter our camper (where clothes, food and alcohol will be). .... . Short of having to A) lock everything in our SUV every time we want to walk around and visit other friends or B) literally PARK my SUV in front of the door.

For this reason, lack of being able to properly secure our camper, we have backed out of this long weekend but now I'm looking in general. Again, I understand that if they want something bad enough they'll rip the canvas or something but just for someone who might be looking to make a quick grab and dash.

I was thinking some sort of lock mounted closer to the bottom of the door frame ... something out of reach from arms if they pull back the canvas and reach around ..... I don't know .... very much at a loss.

(btw this happened already once where neighborhood kids were found sneaking around the camper and opened the door)

Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Steve & Phyllis

We also tend to avoid the big party times and campgrounds. We haven't lost anything but have talked to others who have had coolers outside raided or a bike borrowed. We leave a radio or television on when away inside so hopefully they think someone is there. Meet those camped around you and learn their names. Nothing better than someone knowing who belongs around a campsite. Have good insurance and enjoy your time out.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I'm not to sure what to tell you- with our pop-up (a Coleman), we could just as quickly unvelcro the canvas reach in to the door handle as get a key and unlock the door.

On that pop-up, even the bed/bunk ends were merely held on with bungee cords.

IMO, there's no security with pop-ups.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
William

I understand your concerns, but if you are worried about those things when reasonable effort is in place for security of your property, then you're not going to enjoy yourself on any outings away from your camper. I've been camping for about 15 years in many different settings to include the one you backed out of and have never had any issues. Keep valuables; money, expensive dear to your heart items, locked in your vehicle if neccessary. Like you said, if THEY want in, THEY will get in your camper, just in my experience unlikely.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

WEMig makes a good point. While theft does occur, it's fairly rare in campgrounds. Most/many people have gone lifetimes of camping with nothing ever taken.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

ROCKBOYS, You can always install a motion light. That is if you have the room, if you have an outside light you just replace the fixture. I have 2 installed on my unit one on each side. It might not stop a determined thief but it will come on when someone is within 15 to 20'. It called a STARLIGHT cost is $50.00 bucks on ebay, I changed the regular light bulb and put in an LED 200 lumes much brighter. It hooks up to the same wire and use's the switch either to turn it on like a reg. light or turn the light on and off and back on again and becomes a motion sensor light. They work great.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboys View Post
Hey all, looking for advice on the best way to secure our 2007 RW Premier 2516g ? ..... I understand its a tent trailer and not fully hard sided so if someone wants in, they'll get in .... but looking for an idea on how to securely lock the 1 piece door.

We were supposed to go camping for the long weekend but have since backed out as its more of a "party campground" with lots and lots of 18-40yr olds who will be roaming everywhere. We would like something that is a detourent to them if were not at our site and they attempt to enter our camper (where clothes, food and alcohol will be). .... . Short of having to A) lock everything in our SUV every time we want to walk around and visit other friends or B) literally PARK my SUV in front of the door.

For this reason, lack of being able to properly secure our camper, we have backed out of this long weekend but now I'm looking in general. Again, I understand that if they want something bad enough they'll rip the canvas or something but just for someone who might be looking to make a quick grab and dash.

I was thinking some sort of lock mounted closer to the bottom of the door frame ... something out of reach from arms if they pull back the canvas and reach around ..... I don't know .... very much at a loss.

(btw this happened already once where neighborhood kids were found sneaking around the camper and opened the door)
I'm probably not the right person to "chime" in on any type of security related issues. As my mind drifts to my past life. I like things that make loud noises and produce an abundance of light and that really doesn't go over well in a campground setting.
I would agree with you, if they want it, they will get it. I just work off the principal if they take it, they will remember when they tried to get it...hehehe.
In all sincerity, I hope you never have to worry about this happening.
Oh, where is that campground you backed out of? Sounds like I might like to visit that place.
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #8

Lock a pit bull in your camper. Anyone breaking in will remember the experience.