Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #1

camper storage theft

I went to check on my camper this morning only to find that someone had helped themselves to my battery. I checked other campers only to find that 9 other travel trailers also had their battery's removed. Luckily no damage they all were unbolted. Probably about $100 to replace. Its a fenced lot, no security or cameras. Makes you wonder what is next. Storage in my area is at a premium , sadly my TT will not fit in my yard. I could make a secure box to hold the battery, but its probably just as easy to take the battery out . I am concerned about my 30lb propane tanks. I need to find another place for storage. Kind of thinking about storage at a campground, would that be any more secure ? Storage this month was $70.00 + $100 for battery but the enjoyment of camping = priceless.

Chuck "still in Va "
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

I'd take my tanks and battery back home with me. Then again the locks on those campers are not fort Knox. I'd take all electronics too if I was storing off my property like you are. It's just not worth replacing everything. It's also very sad that folks can't keep their hands off other peoples property.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Sorry about that, if it had been locked up you'd probably just have more to fix unfortunately. Wonder how much they get for good used $100 batteries?

I'm surprised they didn't go for the flat panels in all of them too.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Batteries must be a hot item. (literally) I have a friend who sells used cars. He's been having a rash of break-ins. Here is the arrest report of one of these rocket scientists that they caught the other morning. You will get a good laugh at all his lies he tried to tell, which I included in the pdf files below.

It's good to be aware of these battery thieves so members can take precautions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fields2.pdf (130.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: pdf fields3.pdf (81.8 KB, 94 views)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Here is the arrest report of one of these rocket scientists that they caught the other morning.
He had 2nd degree murder on his record???

Wow
Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Sorry to hear about this. I know that it's not a good feeling to be dealing with this. Break-ins can happen at almost any place but once you start questioning how safe your RV is then its time to start considering other options.

I also had my trailer storage stolen too. They took both batteries, propane tanks, 30 amp power cord and 30 amp extension cord, 3 fresh water hoses, water regulator & filter, patio mat and other misc items but they left the portable surge protector.

I checked some of the other RVs at the storage place and all were missing propane tanks and batteries. Management wasn['t concerned enough to contact the other owners. I moved my TT to a dealership which seems much safer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #7

Am I correct that all RV exterior storage compartments and possibly the entry doors use either the same or one or two keys?

Any way to change that?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #8

I take the battery and LP tanks and spare tire off and store at home while the trailer is at the storage lot. Locks keep honest people honest.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My Columbus was broke into less than 30 days after buying it, just under 10K in damage and item that were replaced, also 4 months at the dealrer. I wish it would have only been 100 or a new battery
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Am I correct that all RV exterior storage compartments and possibly the entry doors use either the same or one or two keys? Any way to change that?
Yes, most of them have the 751 key. My service department switched out my locks. I also had spare keys made right away too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Batteries must be a hot item. (literally) I have a friend who sells used cars. He's been having a rash of break-ins. Here is the arrest report of one of these rocket scientists that they caught the other morning. You will get a good laugh at all his lies he tried to tell, which I included in the pdf files below.

Sorry to here of the losses...........

Locks are of no use they are even cutting catalytic converters off cars & trucks around here on the car lots & repair shops that do not have cameras or security. Copper theft is running ramp-id, they are just going for scrap value. Our RV dealer had all the older pull out shore power cords cut off the trailers that had them last summer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #12

I don't have room at home to store our RV but feel somewhat secure where we do have it stored. It's about 5 miles from the house, has a 8' fence with a coded gate. Someone is there 24 / 7, awake or not I don't know. There are about 300 covered spaces with quite a few much higher end units then what we have. When not camping I am by there at least every other day. All this is no guarantee that things will not walk off. I have seen people with tow trailers moving there propane bottles and batteries to the inside of there campers.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Am I correct that all RV exterior storage compartments and possibly the entry doors use either the same or one or two keys?

Any way to change that?
Yes this is correct the dealer told me this and I tried our old trailers keys and they opened our new trailer. I went on line and got new entry door handle and locks and got new storage compartment locks all keyed alike. Keys are double sided so they aren't the standard ones that come with the trailers. If you think some of those compartments are a way in to your camper for a small person, and they could clean you out of everything you have in there.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #14

As long as I have my camper in this storage, I will continue to store my battery at home. I too have shore power cords, surge suppressor and other items in my storage compartments. That would easily be several hundreds of dollars of stuff. It would be pain to strip your camper every time you park it. The flat screen TV is a pop up design and while in storage it cannot be seen, and to remove it you would have to open at least one slide, difficult to do without any battery. I am just thinking if I can find storage at a local campground, I know some offer storage. My thinking is that the trailer will be more secure on their lot because of increased foot and vehicle traffic . Anyone have any thoughts on storage at campgrounds, good or bad I am looking for more options. Needless to say I will not be making a insurance claim for a battery, I do need to check my deductible though.

Chuck " Still in Va "
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
As long as I have my camper in this storage, I will continue to store my battery at home. I too have shore power cords, surge suppressor and other items in my storage compartments. That would easily be several hundreds of dollars of stuff. It would be pain to strip your camper every time you park it. The flat screen TV is a pop up design and while in storage it cannot be seen, and to remove it you would have to open at least one slide, difficult to do without any battery. I am just thinking if I can find storage at a local campground, I know some offer storage. My thinking is that the trailer will be more secure on their lot because of increased foot and vehicle traffic . Anyone have any thoughts on storage at campgrounds, good or bad I am looking for more options. Needless to say I will not be making a insurance claim for a battery, I do need to check my deductible though.

Chuck " Still in Va "
Change the locks so you don't have the typical camper keys like I said in the last post. As to the battery I'm trying to come up with a metal case I can lock the battery up in and the the gas bottles I use a long lock and drilled holes through the hold down clamp so they can't get them out.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #16

Changing keys will maybe good for piece of mind but a large screwdriver or small prybar will get you in quicker than a key & just as quiet.......... just sayin.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #17
NELA

Quote:

$5.00 ea. for old batteries at that battery store south of the McDonald's at the foot of the Louisville Bridge, Bobby.

$30.00 worth of crack/meth for six of 'em.

Edited to add: HAH! Yeah, I saw that guy listed on OCC. Didn't read the affidavit...he's the one that explained his clothes by claiming someone paid him to switch clothes with him...saw that part in the newspaper.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #18

I went with these:

http://b-drvbatterylock.com/balocl.html

Haven't had a problem (yet)

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #19

If they want what you have bad enough they will get it. Hi dollar vehicles as well as not so hi dollar all with security systems are stolen every day, do you think an RV lock will stop a thief? We do all we can to minimize theft but after it's all said and done insurance will minimize your loss.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Changing keys will maybe good for piece of mind but a large screwdriver or small prybar will get you in quicker than a key & just as quiet.......... just sayin.....

Yes this is true, but when your at a campground somebodies going to say something if they see a guy using a pry bar on a door, don't make it easy for them. If your in an area that is that bad that they are bold enough to go in with a pry bar you shouldn't be camping there or you shouldn't be storing there. As to the storage place it was a secured area so more than likely someone that stores their stuff there has the stuff that was stolen. Using a hunters trail cam in the storage area and putting a brand new battery as bait might nab you a thief.

Tags
camper, storage