Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #1

Camper too long????????

I now have a camper 31.5 ft long and am looking at a Forest River 34.8 ft. long. Question is there seems to be a lot of campers that length but is it that much harder to deal with? I know lot of sites you can not fit these longer units in espically on the east coast and national campgrounds. Are people not aware of this or does everyone like the luxury of bigger campers? I have seen campers at red light that just barely make the turn.
I will retire this fall and don't want to get a camper too long to use. What is a good length camper?
waynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #2

We only have a 23footer with no slide. The Wife and I have often talked about our next one later on when other kiddo arrives and they get too big. When we bought ours we peeked into the bigger 5th wheels. I'm not so sure we would go much bigger than 28-30. Reason being is we like to CAMP more than RV Resort camp sort to speak. With a smaller RV you can fit in better spots often closer to water, or by river, etc. A lot of campgrounds we've been to pretty much allocate the bigger 5th wheels and trailers off to the side while the smaller ones get to be close to the action. It's up to you. As far as driving, i don't think you'll see much difference between 31.5 - 35 feet.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #3

It sort of depends on what you want. My fiver actually measures just a bit over 37 feet. I can still get into many NF campgrounds. I just have to be aware of the campground and know what sites I can fit into. One of my favorite became off limits after last year. Trees growing and leaning more make it nearly impossible to get into some places without damage. as for backing into sites? I really don't see a heck of a lot of difference.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

Until the older CG upgrade there sites we will always have a problem with the longer units. I have been in some sites where it is hard to get the slides out because the sites are so narrow. Most CG owners what sites will handle the longer and wider units.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Our V-Lite is 34 1/2ft and as of yet had no issues. We always book ahead and make sure the CG we are booking at has facilities for us. We even one weekend showed up at a provincial CG and they found us a spot without much trouble.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That is a hard question to answer because everyone has different criteria and there will be a lot of opinions. It really depends on how you want to use your trailer (and especially where). We purposefully went with a 25ft trailer because we do a lot of National Forest Service campground camping. Roads are difficult and tight. Campgrounds are small. Many NFS roads recommend a 25ft limit. We also do 2 to 3 thousand mile trips pulling the trailer and didn't want to be max'ed on towing capacity. But that's just us. Your type of camping and "wants" might be totally different. I guess I'm just trying to give you some things to consider in making your decision. Good luck!

P.S. Our Surveyor is only 8.5' tall at the roofline so this is a plus for storage and also for clearance in primitive areas.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Several things happen as the length of a camper goes up.
On the negative side:
1) Maneuverability goes down. Think getting onto lots, parking lots, gas stations, street intersections (especially in urban areas), scenic byways, etc.
2) Availability of sites (lots) decreases.
3) Tow vehicle requirements increase and, likely, so do fuel costs.
4) Maintenance time and effort increase. Think washing, waxing and keeping the inside in order.
On the plus side:
1) Storage volume goes up, but not necessarily weight carrying capacity.
2) More furniture / larger appliances
3) Generally, more slideouts are available / more living space.

I make the assumption that you plan to travel, what with retirement looming on the horizon. The question is how you will balance the length equation so as to meet your needs? My view? Think shorter for short campground stays and frequent moves, especially if you will be driving on secondary roads or through urban areas. Longer campers may be better suited for long stays at campgrounds that are near interstates.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #8

No problems if you stay aware - worth the extra room.

We picked up our 3002 Windjammer last August and have been in 5 campgrounds since then - 2 private and 3 state parks. Haven't had any problems at all, but I keep a close eye on the back of the trailer. Our previous trailers were 24', 30', and 26'. Now, with 34'+, we love the roomy feel and would not go back. When traveling, we are now more likely to eat at a rest area or park, rather than a fast food joint, because it's easier in and out. We did encounter some steep and sharp switchbacks at Norris Dam State Park in Tennessee. Looked bad, but was actually a breeze. Most on-line state reservation systems ask you for the length before they present your campsite choices, so there's no risk there. I'd say go for it!
picknfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I make the assumption that you plan to travel, what with retirement looming on the horizon. The question is how you will balance the length equation so as to meet your needs? My view? Think shorter for short campground stays and frequent moves, especially if you will be driving on secondary roads or through urban areas. Longer campers may be better suited for long stays at campgrounds that are near interstates.
Very nicely stated!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Site Team

i can tell you that not many Calif. state park campgrounds can take a trailer that length.
same goes for some national parks, like Yosemite. but Yellowstone would be no problem, lots of sites in the park can accommodate that size.

a lot depends on the state or national parks you want to visit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
Lottery Non-Winner

I had a 40' fifth wheel. I was limited and had to plan carefully and show up early since many campgrounds don't provide reservations. I never had to go home empty handed, but came close a few times. For me, it was a bear driving that rig, so I traded to a Class A 34'. Much easier to maneuver and more campsite availability. (for me).

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #12

We moved up from a 28' to about a 35' last fall, and couldn't be happier with the extra room. The Tundra still pulls it OK and we have not had a problem finding a campsite; we stick to State and National parks. We seem to have a little more sway with it, but the design is very different and it is also higher. It is actually a little easier to back up. Our gas mileage has remained about the same, a dreadful 10-11 mpg. All in all, it was a good move for us. (we will also be retiring this year so hope to do more 'camping' with the TT)

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote