Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Camper weight loss program (leaving stuff at home)

Started going through the camper, taking out stuff I don't need. A few things we have removed:

2 of the 4 chairs at the dinette table.
A swivel chair (so that's half the chairs it came with. There are 2 of us. How many do we need?)
A shoebox (boot box) full of kitchen stuff we never use. I can tell cause the price tag from Big Lots is still on it.
A table lamp
Buddy heater, it gets more use when the power goes off at the house.
Some ham radio stuff.
An extra broom (?)
Extra patio chair
Several RV hookup gadgets that looked better in the catalog than worked out in real life.
50 ft of white water hose. (How much do I need?)
Some personal hygiene stuff that had gone stale.
The bed pillows that came with the RV. (Horrible things)
An extra blanket
Fanny packs.
Extra Canteens.
A seldom used pot.
Several goofy flashlights that I picked up at trade shows.
Framed family pictures. Got tired of digging them out and putting them away. We aren't gone long enough to forget what they look like.
And lastly, a back-packer guitar. She never played the thing. Glad I only paid $1.00 for it.

What are you leaving home without? (That you planned on leaving )

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
NELA

We removed two of our dining table chairs and one of the barstools right away.

I need to go thru my pots and pans. I stocked way too many sizes.

Need to go thru my canned goods. I keep adding a can or two every trip and not using the ones I already have.

I used those horrible pillows that came with the 5er for my shams. About to toss the pillows we use and buy two more "my pillow" pillows for the 5er. We have those here at home and love 'em. (we both have neck injuries and they work/fit/feel better than cervical pillows)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

We took out two dining chairs also to make a perfect spot for the dog crate that our chocolate lab will probably NEVER be in anyway 🐶
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We took out two dining chairs also to make a perfect spot for the dog crate that our chocolate lab will probably NEVER be in anyway ��
We keep ice chests under the table now. Handy. Don't have to get up to get anything and they don't slide around when towing.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

Camper weight loss program (leaving stuff at home)

Took out the inflatable mattress on the sofa convertible. That came out when we got it home. Didn't want anyone to point out they could sleep on the sofa... The handy melt the side of your TT BBQ. The 4 ton corian counter extension. If they felt we needed more counter space they should have added more drawers under it. As for the wonderful complimentary pillows that came with the TT...I like to sleep with a pillow between my knees so this pillow seemed ideal for that use. Well since it's packed with all the curtain, carpet and wall decoration scraps, it's quite thick. When I woke up in the morning the DW asked how I slept...my reply was that I had a dream I rode a horse all damn night! It was replaced!
I'm amazed at all the stuff we seem to bring with us to go camping and the items we wish we brought. I try to out think what could go wrong and bring supplies to fix it. If you find yourself staring at it in the garage and pondering the idea of "Na...won't need that" you might as well find it a home in the truck because you won't be at the CG 30 minutes before the DW hears, "Damit" and her reply, "I told you you should have brought it."
My youngest son's (Coast Guard) wife's idea of camping is hailing someone to carry her suit cases into the hotel so there is no worries there. My other son is in the Navy and can sleep just about anywhere. When the in-laws bought their motor homes, they went to the factory and had them remove All but their sleeping area so they understand. The DW asked me if I was going to put our two extra sleeping bags in the TT to which I said they are not waterproof. When she asked about why we needed them to be waterproof I said we don't need them but who ever sleeps outside and under the TT might. They didn't get added to the list of stuff. The pooch goes everywhere with me. She may give a little bark here and there but absolutely no unnecessary noise. That's reserved for the DW. Got one television and only one. No need to watch the news in your area. It's the same death and destruction everywhere so I can wait until we get back home to hear it. Is there no "Good News" anymore?
I am quite content sitting on my arse enjoying peace and tranquility!
So...if you think your loading your TT, watch the 1950's release of "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnes. Could camping comedy. I keep the DVD in the camper.
Keep the list of useless stuff coming....
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

I would agree with all of the above (pretty much anyway).
Water, we travel with as little water as possible but bring our inflatable water tank (empty of course), just in case.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

I would say (99%) of the Summer Campers who use (FHU) C/G could place just (1) 20# propane tank on their R/V for the whole Summer! No need to have (2) 20 or 30# tanks to carry around if you really want to (Dump Weight)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

I am within 200 lbs of my CGWR and really can't leave much home as I don't really have much more than I need/use. I do have 4 camp chairs and could leave 2 of those home I guess but not much else.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #9

Write down everything you have and how often you use it. If not used in several months...take it out.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Oh yeah...

one box of 35mm camera stuff
the XM satellite receiver, still in its original box
the throw pillows that sort of match the couch that came with the trailer

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #11

You removed your ham radio stuff????
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #12

I do have 2 water hoses and two shore power cords. Been to CG where the water was a tad far away and moving TT back so the curb slide I past the concrete slab makes a longer run for the power. Probably could leave the shorter one at home. Keep an extra sewer hose in the bumper for the same reasons above. Have a ice chest for chow that stays outside. Keep only the inside stuff in the refrigerator. We didn't go nuts with the pots and pans either. Weber Q1000 grill. Electric griddle for breakfast outside. Simplicity. My sister had me use plastic tubs to keep stuff in then can't figure out what tub I put stuff in. That's good cause I go through everything at least once a day to find what I needed.
Patio chairs, folding table, easy up, cooler and BBQ travel in the bed of the truck. No food gets stored in the camper. Comes in a tub for the trip and back home if not consumed.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #13

Still haven't had too many trips in this camper so still figuring what to leave at home besides the teenaged daughter! The easy down (not easy up) is prob the best thing I could take out since it's twice as heavy now since making stronger legs for it. Maybe the doggie carpet too. Take those out and would have tons of room for new folding picnic table 👍 (damn amazon!). Also thinking of pulling out the two jack stands and taking back 8 ton jack to HF as have just got trailer aid (damn amazon!)

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
You removed your ham radio stuff????
Some of it. Not all of it.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #15

We decided to finally ditch an extra outdoor table we had been carrying around. It was a hold over from our tent camping days. We spent most of last year leaving various tent camping supplies behind one at a time (camps stove...etc.) but we always seem to find something else to take its place. We never did go overboard on the pots and pans. Can only use so much.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, weight