Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Campers please be considerate

While cooking breakfast for the family on our last outing I noticed our neighbor packing up to leave. After disconnecting his black hose he proceded to put his black hose under the water spout and drain all his excess junk on the ground (ugh). After leaving a young family with young children showed up ready to have some fun camping, I told them of the previous camper and helped them disinfect the spout and clean up the site, how gross would it have been had nobody told them what happened. I always carry bleach and clean the water spout before hooking up the hose, you never know who was there before you.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #2

I concur with your thoughts on cleaning spouts, wearing gloves and inspecting the site before I even pull into the site. If there are issues I will go back to the gate and ask for another site or have them clean the site again. It seems these days we all tend to clean up after previous campers during the busy camping times. Good practice is to also elevate your hoses on racks to keep the nasties off them. While coiling fresh water lines when we are heading out I clean the hose with with Clorox wipes.
New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcrew18 View Post
While cooking breakfast for the family on our last outing I noticed our neighbor packing up to leave. After disconnecting his black hose he proceded to put his black hose under the water spout and drain all his excess junk on the ground (ugh). After leaving a young family with young children showed up ready to have some fun camping, I told them of the previous camper and helped them disinfect the spout and clean up the site, how gross would it have been had nobody told them what happened. I always carry bleach and clean the water spout before hooking up the hose, you never know who was there before you.
Oh, that is SO nasty!
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #4

I think you should have had a talk with the host so that this person is not allowed back.

That is one disgusting act, the camp ground I was at last year did not allow waste of any type on the ground and would bill you for any cleanup if needed.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalvatore View Post
I concur with your thoughts on cleaning spouts, wearing gloves and inspecting the site before I even pull into the site. If there are issues I will go back to the gate and ask for another site or have them clean the site again. It seems these days we all tend to clean up after previous campers during the busy camping times. Good practice is to also elevate your hoses on racks to keep the nasties off them. While coiling fresh water lines when we are heading out I clean the hose with with Clorox wipes.

Good idea on the wipes....

Wipes.....✔️
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #6

I see that happen often, most times it is a rental unit. They are not shown how to handle the waste hose or even how to roll up the fresh water hose. What I find more disturbing is when they shove the white fresh water hose down the stinky slinky to rinse the waste out.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #7

Yikes ! That is so disgusting !!!! Sigh .. I never thought people would do that. Now I will have to clean water spouts before connecting my hose ... My stomach is literally so upset right now
Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #8

I agree about informing the camp host and I would have probably spoken to the offender as well. There are enough accidents that occur when dealing with waste water that I have zero tolerance for being careless or stupid with it. Someone could get very sick.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #9

I have been considering getting a water filtration system that goes between the site hookup and camper. We don't drink any water from site but bottled water we buy problem is just brushing teeth, shaving, and shower water in mouth can ruin a trip.

The systems are pricey and thought of making one but knowing me it would be too big, heavy and cumbersome vs a commercial made one.

I would agree on the renters usually not having the knowledge or support from the rental company but have to say some seasoned travelers have also been sloppy. When I see renters I always try and help them explaining systems when they appear to be struggling.

We also recently stopped staying in rest areas with no services because too many times the lots are covered in urine odors and puddles next to tractor trailer units from them dumping their "road jugs" out the door. We don't want to track that into are camper.
I have a friend that is a DMV Truck inspector and he regularly grounds trucks for a few hrs or tickets them when he see them dumping in lots. He said hepatitis b can live outside the body for 10 days and he spends 90% of his day under trucks on a creeper smelling it. Nasty!!!!

We now only park in rest areas with full service buildings because the lots are usually much cleaner.
New England, USA
Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

Is the general consensus I should have confronted the individual after catching him in the act?
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcrew18 View Post
Is the general consensus I should have confronted the individual after catching him in the act?

I wouldn't have, but I likely would have notified the campground. A renter may be receptive, but I have found that most folks who are "experienced" are set in their ways.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #12

Best to take notice maybe notify the staff. Not worth ruining a vacation if you get into it with someone and it escalates. Be safe think smart and just notify staff to be sure they clean the site for the next renters. They could probably charge the credit card on file some type of cleanup fee.
New England, USA
Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #13

I have twin girls. The first thing I do is look for nasty stuff. I find more the you would know. Bottle tops are the worst and glass . Stuff growing out of food. Dont need to go and more. Take a look are round before letting kids out of the truck.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #14

Wow the things I am learning on this forum. Thanks to all who been down the road and are willing so share their knowledge. Be safe out there.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Yikes ! That is so disgusting !!!! Sigh .. I never thought people would do that. Now I will have to clean water spouts before connecting my hose ... My stomach is literally so upset right now
x2
Lysol spray all over the water spout and sewer drain!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhawke View Post
Wow the things I am learning on this forum. Thanks to all who been down the road and are willing so share their knowledge. Be safe out there.
Disposable rubber gloves, buy some you will be glad you did.

I use the automotive type because they seem to be a little thicker and more chemical resistant that the ones you get at Walgreens.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #17

I am thinking that a spray bottle with bleach/water solution may be in order!
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
I am thinking that a spray bottle with bleach/water solution may be in order!
It is a help but the gloves add an extra level of protection.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #19
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Disposable rubber gloves, buy some you will be glad you did.

I use the automotive type because they seem to be a little thicker and more chemical resistant that the ones you get at Walgreens.

Sheesh, after reading the OP, it makes me wish you could buy that purple glove material (nitrile?) in 4' rolls. Just roll it out over the entire camp site and dispose of it when we leave. Just glad we don't have toddlers to worry 'bout...no kids...just a fid (kid with fur) and Lord only knows what he gets in to.

Maybe we need to add a pump up sprayer full of bleach to our "must have" equipment.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #20

Now I'm going to have to clean the spout every time we go camping
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper