Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

We seldom stay at campsites with sewer hookups, but when we do I pour a little IPA (rubbing alcohol, isopropyl alcohol) over the water faucet outlet, and carefully take a candle lighter to it. When the flame goes out, I run the water to the ground for a minute or 2, and then again wipe down with Listerine before hooking up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
We seldom stay at campsites with sewer hookups, but when we do I pour a little IPA over the water faucet outlet, and carefully take a candle lighter to it. When the flame goes out, I run the water to the ground for a minute or 2, and then again wipe down with Listerine before hooking up.

I'm not going to waste a perfectly good Alexander Keith's on the faucet. But I am thinking I'll need to have some kind of disinfectant from now on.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #23

Nasties

You want to talk about NASTY and Inconsiderate, let me tell you about our LAST and I do mean Last KOA Stay. Went to the shower one morning, early mind you as DW had not climbed out of bed yet, did not want to wake her, anyway I got in the shower and low and behold, guess what was just lying there on the shower stall floor, you guess it, a Big Ole Chocolate Tootsie Roll, well you know what I mean, how gross was that!
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
You want to talk about NASTY and Inconsiderate, let me tell you about our LAST and I do mean Last KOA Stay. Went to the shower one morning, early mind you as DW had not climbed out of bed yet, did not want to wake her, anyway I got in the shower and low and behold, guess what was just lying there on the shower stall floor, you guess it, a Big Ole Chocolate Tootsie Roll, well you know what I mean, how gross was that!

I've only seen that in a State Park. Never at the KOA's. The private campgrounds are usually better at getting the restrooms cleaned.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #25

when on a full hookup site, I always hold my gray water on the last night/morning. Use that to flush the hose after dumping black.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
when on a full hookup site, I always hold my gray water on the last night/morning. Use that to flush the hose after dumping black.
As do I, I use the black tank flush system a couple of times or till clear water runs.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I'm not going to waste a perfectly good Alexander Keith's on the faucet.
High alcohol content rubbing alcohol ( IPA, Isopropyl Alcohol), not Indian Pale Ale.

I will change my last post to reflect that.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #28

Quote:
We seldom stay at campsites with sewer hookups, but when we do I pour a little IPA (rubbing alcohol, isopropyl alcohol) over the water faucet outlet, and carefully take a candle lighter to it. When the flame goes out, I run the water to the ground for a minute or 2, and then again wipe down with Listerine before hooking up.
I don't think the Campground owner(Public or Privite) would think very much of campers setting FIRE to their Water Hydrants! Youroo!! What would Smokey Bear do?
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #29

This is why water is your friend when dumping...I always fill my black, grey, and galley tanks to full before dumping, dump, then refill all three, and dump again. Maybe I'm a little OCD about it, but this way, there are never any "nasties" left to worry about. Just let the black hose drain, hang it over the spare tire to dry, and stow. Good to go. The drinking water faucet is never in the equation.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #30

Cleaning Black Hose

Same procedure on our end, dump the black water first thing, then run the gray water through, while still plugged in the ground, I run hot water and Green Stuff through the hose as well, wash the outside off the same way: Clean and smells great, Like having that Hot Water Connection right there:
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I don't think the Campground owner(Public or Privite) would think very much of campers setting FIRE to their Water Hydrants! Youroo!! What would Smokey Bear do?
I make sure no one is looking.

Being a volunteer fireman for a number of years, of course I am careful. No flammables close by (especially the camper ), and only all-metal faucets, and only the spout. I run some water on the ground so that I won't catch the grass on fire. And only a spoonful is needed directly on the spout around the spout threads. IPA burns almost clear (with a slight blue tint), so it is hard to tell when it is lit, and when it is out.......it will burn even though you can't see a flame.

I first heard of that when doing having well water tested. "You want me to do what to my kitchen faucet spout ?? "

Old 02-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #32
Site Team

Again, that's why I spray all connections with Lysol before and after setup. I also wear latex gloves.
But you'll still find some on here who say they don't worry about it.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #33

Campers please be considerate

Quote:

MtnGuy.... Alcohol is not good for cleaning. As an OSHA officer for my Paramedic service I can tell you it dries to fast for proper cleaning of Hepatitis and other pathogens. It is good for quick hand washing until you get to a sink with soap and water.

The proper items to use are bleach and water ....routine cleaning is 1 part bleach to 100 parts water and for light cleanup and 1:10 solution for heavy cleanup both in a spray bottle . The concentrate is only good for 24hrs. There are many commercial cleaners avail such as Lysol but getting it into water tanks is no good so just use the bleach and water solution.
New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #34

I don't think MtnGuy is suggesting the alcohol is for cleaning. In this case, it's an accelerant to allow the fire to disinfect the contact surface, and it doesn't leave a residue like gasoline might. If I'm reading his posts right...

You could probably just as easily use your portable propane torch with the 1 pound cylinder to disinfect. Also very little residue, if any.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #35

I'd call the guy out for making that mess just like I'd call out that 1 person in the campground who thinks no one minds their sweet little pup's poop being left for someone to step in or the guy in front of you at a dump station who leaves a mess. If you tell the host after the guy left, the guy got away with his inconsiderate ways again. NOW...if he's bigger than me, I might close my call out with "sir". :-) Time for the good campers to call out the bad ones....lots more of us than them.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I don't think MtnGuy is suggesting the alcohol is for cleaning. In this case, it's an accelerant to allow the fire to disinfect the contact surface, and it doesn't leave a residue like gasoline might. If I'm reading his posts right...
Tarawanderer is correct, that is not the rubbing alcohol that disinfects, but the heat.

But as others have pointed out, there may be better alternatives, and I might just change my ways.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #37

Great advice. I'll be carrying a disinfecting agent from now on. Things newbies don't think about.

Sent from my HTC One using Forest River Forums mobile app
2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide
toyhauler2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I've only seen that in a State Park. Never at the KOA's. The private campgrounds are usually better at getting the restrooms cleaned.
Yes, but no matter how good the cleaning staff is, the bathrooms are only going to be as clean as the last person who was in there. Even if the cleaning staff does their job every 15 minutes, there's going to be someone who goes there in between and messes up everything.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #39
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Yes, but no matter how good the cleaning staff is, the bathrooms are only going to be as clean as the last person who was in there. Even if the cleaning staff does their job every 15 minutes, there's going to be someone who goes there in between and messes up everything.

This is why I detest using public restrooms. In the V-Lite I've been known to ask DH to pull over (while towing) and I'd climb over the bed to get to the bathroom...didn't want to put a driver's side slider out while on the highway....so I wouldn't have to go into a restroom where God only knows what germs were living or who left them there.

With the 5er no slide opening necessary! Step in the door, up the steps to the left and voila! A clean, sanitary and PRIVATE bathroom.

And public showers? fuggettaboutit! I'd rather do a "splash and dash" in a running creek if our shower was out of order. And for other needs? Let's just say an old bear and I could live in total harmony in that regard.

Weezer is squeamish about some things. I'll take nature's germs over human ones ANNNNY day!

Just keep in mind that Weezer is country through and through, born and raised and happy to be so.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #40

Praise the Lord what a beautiful day here in NC...finally...65 degrees and sunny! I worked thru lunch and was able to get in the garage while it was still warm. I finished painting my stabilizer bars and fabricated & painted my step support. All I have to do now is install them as soon as the ground in my pole barn dries out some.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper