Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #101

We have been camping with a group of friends for more than 40 years. Most of us are in our 70's and 80's. Several of our members have developed allergies and other medical conditions that are severely aggravated by wood smoke. We now use several propane fire pits to provide camp fires when we gather. Great for perking "Cowboy Coffee", but not a good idea to do S'Mores.

We do not take issue with any other fellow campers who prefer a wood fire.
We just try to stay "upwind".
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post

We do not take issue with any other fellow campers who prefer a wood fire.
We just try to stay "upwind".
This is the key. Make adjustments as necessary. If you see a campsite with a large wood pile when you pull in, chances are there's going to be a campfire into the evening with some smoke.

I do take exceptions with campers who burn the garbage in the campfire or only put a half hearted attempt into extinguishing the fire when they leave. A smoldering fire with wet wood doesn't add to the camping experience.

With most campgrounds offering nice dry wood for sale, "imported" wood often being prohibited, smokey fires are less of a problem than when the camper cuts down a tree and burns the "green" wood.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #103

Smarter not harder.[emoji481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Propane torch, man. Propane torch.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #104

Campfire smoke is the incense from my altar.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #105

Solostove

I think the original poster was, "joki ng" but although pricy, we have been using a small "Solostove" for all of our campfires.
No smoke from these firepits, and when it rains, we still have a campfire... we put it just out from underneath the rv awning, we sit under the awning and enjoy a nice fire when everybody else can't use their firepit cause it is out in the open campsite...
FYI... a small Weber round Smokey Joe grill lid fits the top of the Solostove (small one) perfect... for covering it when done...
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Lol. It’s not that kind of work. When I think of burning I think of storm clean-up/pruning. I have about 50-60 trees left at home...used to have ~80 or more. Storms took out several in the last 20 years and left me the work. When I was a kid at home my father had a logging company cut most of them and we had the clean-up.

I don’t mind so much in the winter, but the summer burning isn’t fun.
Some times....having a fire during the summer, is like jumping into a hot tub in the middle of a dessert. Not my idea of fun.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #107
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
I think the original poster was, "joki ng"
Good suggestion, but I was not joking. I think this thread has provoked some interesting comments and viewpoints on this issue.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #108

I love a campfire in the summer (any time really). The smell is awesome and the small amount of smoke helps to control the bugs. If I do see the smoke going directly into a neighbors unit I have been known to ask them if they are having a problem and will reduce it or even put it out. We try to be good neighbors. I do have a propane fire as well just in case.

Marty