Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Campground 50amp service

Hello Everyone!

Last year we purchased a 2018 Chaparral 336TSI and we love it. We have been seasonal campers for the past 4 seasons and are enjoying it. We do miss the road and hope when DW retires we can do a cross country trek.

Prior to purchasing our Chaparral, we had a 30am travel trailer. Our 5th wheel now is 50aamp. Unfortunately, our seasonal site only has 30amp. Our first season due to fluctuations in electric during holiday weekends, and other times, we had to continuously monitor our electric. At times of low voltage, we had to shutdown our AC (we couldn't run both). It was very frustrating.

We have approached our campground, and was told that they would upgrade over the winter. I am planning on including a letter with our deposit indicating that we are renewing with the hopes of having 50amp electric service.

I am putting feelers out there to see if this is something I should or shouldn't do such not to cause any problems.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
rdv1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

I would advise you to get a 50 amp EMS unit. Link:
Rv Surge Protection | United States | Progressive Industries, Inc.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I would advise you to get a 50 amp EMS unit. Link:
Rv Surge Protection | United States | Progressive Industries, Inc.
Thank you, I plan to do that once I get 50amp service. I need to find out now if its advisable to send a letter with my deposit reminding them of the 50am installation as promised.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Are you looking for advice regarding moving up to 50A or regarding sending the letter?

We upgraded from a 30A TT ot a 50A 5th wheel while we were on a 30A seasonal site as well. We spend one year on the site before moving to another CG and have had 50A ever since then. It's so much more enjoyable being able to run just about anything we want, including both ACs at the same time and not worrying about tripping a breaker.

As far as the CG upgrading your site, I hope they are able to. We've been to a few places where they promise the world and then after you sign the contract, the work never gets done.

We are in a good place now where when the CG manager says he will get something done, he makes sure it gets done.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdv1978 View Post
Thank you, I plan to do that once I get 50amp service. I need to find out now if its advisable to send a letter with my deposit reminding them of the 50am installation as promised.
Didn't see this until after my post above.

It really depends on the people you are talking to and what you are willing to deal with. It's possible they'll promise to do it and then it never gets done. It's also possible that they'll say sorry we don't take demands. Or it's possible that they'll get it done right away and you'll be perfectly happy.

I can't say for sure either way. I don't know that I'd send a letter. You just have to decide whether or not you're willing to deal with another year of 30A if it doesn't get done. We've changed CGs 2X because we didn't like the way things were going.

After all, it's your money and if they promise things and don't follow through, you're only recourse is to find someplace else.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #6

Agree with Wiscampsin that whatever you end up doing, get an EMS...especially if the power is fluctuating.

I installed one inside our Chaparral, lots of room to work with behind the basement wall.

Regarding whether you choose to stay at that park with dirty/insufficient power on holiday weekends is your call. We had a brownout once in the middle of a summer night in South Texas...not fun. We like our creature comforts...and something less than 95% humidity when sleeping.

If the question is 30 vs 50amp service, again, you have to determine if the sacrifices are worth it to you remaining in that location. We can manage 30A in the winter no problem but it is a deal breaker for us in the summer--there is a reason we have 2 ACs.

Good luck.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdv1978 View Post
My recommendation: Don't wait on the EMS. I was surprised to see how bad the 15A power was in my storage location (I hook up the day before to pre-cool my fridge). I have more instances where the EMS shuts down power to my camper due to sagging voltage (105v) or excessive voltage (134v).
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #8

you really have no way to 'make' them upgrade to 50amp RV service(100amps), but you COULD ask them to install another 30amp outlet at your site in order to allow you to use both, with an adapter, for 60amps into your coach. Adding another 30amp outlet would much easier and less expensive for them... especially if you pitch in for some of the costs.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
Always Learning

What are you hoping to accomplish with the letter?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

Moving from 30 to 50amps does not seem like much, but it very much is. It will more than likely need all new wiring run. SO I'd not hold my breath and I am sure they will guarantee nothing. If you have a 30 amp plug and a 15 amp normal outlet that IS NOT on the same circuit they do make a 30 / 15 plug that goes to a 50 (45amp in the end) plug.

My guess is you will not ever see 50amps more than likely but who know. You will probably just need to learn to use less power. I've stayed at many a 30amp site, even when busy weekends, and used both A/C (both 15k units) and just limited other things. No A/C water heater, only propane, shut off one AC to run the micro. I think you will just need to adapt or move.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #11

also, while 30amp RV service is a simple 3 wire system, HOT, Neutral, and Ground wires thru a normal 30amp breaker, for simple 120v service...

50amp RV service is very different - it adds ANOTHER Hot wire, the wires are larger, and they run thru a 50amp Double-Pole breaker, which is 240v service, like at your home...
while most RVs or Motorhomes with 50amp service don't make use of the 240v service, their breaker boxes are designed to split the two 'LEGS' of power between all of their breakers, especially since the two Roof Air Conditioners are the major draws, and when run simultaneously they sometimes cause tripping issues when only on 30amp power. With 50amp RV service, each 'SIDE' of power has a full 50amps of power, which equals to more than triple that of the typical 30amp campground service.

Also, generally, the Shore Power pedestal 'box' is larger, and also integrates a 30amp outlet, and a dual 20amp 'residential' style GFCI outlet(usually for tent campers)...

so you're not only having to add more and larger wires to accomplish 50amp service, your adding the additional cost of a larger post-mounted multi-outlet box.

...our local county campground is in the middle of this upgrade as we speak, though for the life of me I'm not sure why a local $17 per night campground with a majority of seasonal campers needs to 'upgrade'... but, oh well. It will take them a LONG time to recoup this huge cost.

While you may be experiencing power issues, as you originally alluded to, I'm sure you can continue to run both roof air conditioners on 30amp service - we do.
Yes, you have to watch and manage your other draws, like when you need to use the microwave, or electric water heater, but really, it's possible, just a little more work involved.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We didn’t get the 50amp service as promised and we are ok with that. We like our CG and our site. That’s what matters. We will just have to be careful on what we run in our trailer.

For the most part, we run our HW heater and fridge on propane.

Tags
campground, mpg, service