Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Campground etiquette. ..

I just finished a 4 day trip to... let's say the Indiana Dunes area... the wife, kids, and I had a wonderful time... loved the area and attractions .. however... we stayed at a campground which was very tight. As in my picnic table was within a few feet of the next camper sewer hose... that was annoying enough. To make matters worse we were placed right in front of the bathhouse and had to deal with every Tom dick and Harry walking thru our campsite (mind u from right side of my camper to left side of next was not more than 10-12 feet)... In fact at one point a young man and his friend literally stepped over our 3 yr old playing trucks on the ground!

Am I over reacting here? Wouldn't this bother anyone else?

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

It would bother me. You pay for a site and that site should be yours for the period you paid for it. I have experienced the same as you. wasn't much I could do about it though. I always try to scope out the site before I commit now.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

Sure would bother me. We are new to travel trailer camping and this year we stayed at 3 spots. Two were RV Campgrounds and the sites were pretty much on top of each other. The last one was at a Provincial park and it was perfect! Although we didn't have full hookups (did have electric), I loved it.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #4

Good advice rugged brown... I should have scoped out the spot, but there was nothing I could do really... campground was full and everything else in area was booked too

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthorn View Post
Good advice rugged brown... I should have scoped out the spot, but there was nothing I could do really... campground was full and everything else in area was booked too

If its just an overnighter, Walmart works for me.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthorn View Post
Yeah, I've been in that boat. Had one site where a kid drove his muddy bike across the outdoor carpet I was in the middle of laying down. I had to actually jump out of his way to avoid being hit. His friends were at least chastising him, as they also proceeded to ride their bikes through my site (but at least off the carpet).

That seems to stop once I let the dogs out of the truck and have them on their cable though. People seem to be leery of cutting too close to 70 lb Weimaraner, even though she's just a sweetheart.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #7

It does bother me. I don't get real upset about it unless it is my kids that do it all though they never do because that is one of the number 1 rules I have drilled into them NEVER GO THROUGH SOMEONES CAMPSITE!!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #8

camping etiquette!

This has been discussed before and my absolute favorite solution is from Campin Cajun. He is post #3 on that thread. It's pure genius!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #9

We have been to close to the bath house a couple of times. The dogs definitely help (really, they are just saying hi, come play with me, very loudly) and I will set up chairs, picnic table and everything else so it is harder for anyone thinking about coming through.
Then of course there is my more direct DW who asks politely for them to go around. Usually there is a surprised look like they had no clue.

2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #10

You are right, some parents don't teach their kids proper etiquette.
nice CG, beautiful lakefront, lots of trails. DNR has done a lot of improvements over the years, I remember when it was nothing more then a sand lot.
But on the same note look at the CG you are at. I know the place very well. Born, raised, and then moved the hell away from there.
The CG is nice, somewhat patrolled, it's the area surrounding the park that's the problem, its a war zone, your lucky that's all the kids did to you.
For the most part, the campers aren't the problem, it's the people who come from outside the park that raise hell.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2010 Jeep Commander Limited

Tags
mpg