Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Lots of good advice already been given so there's little I can add. With it being early in the game please note required lengthy commitments with some private membership clubs.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #12

Campground Memberships

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFromStock View Post
I have a general question regarding campground memberships...

My husband and I are new to the RV world, and camping in general. We purchased the A127TH in July and have only driveway camped so far. I've downloaded the various checklists to make sure we have all the right "stuff" we'll need when we finally set off. We've replaced lightbulbs, installed the storage box, and tested the grill. Now, it's time to embark on true campground adventures!!!

My question is...what is the best membership (if any) to join - KOA, Passport America, Good Sam, others?????

Thank you all for your inputs!!!!
Debbie
Thousand Trails has worked out for us. Thought it was pricey at first glance. After thinking about it for a while and comparing to other options it seems to work out well. In the past 12 months we have spent a total of 100+ nights in their campgrounds or affiliates finding all used to be good to great. All were full hook ups. Campground memberships may not be for everyone. Good Luck........

Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #13

Might want to read this before getting into a timeshare. We all will get old, change things that may hold our interest, get so sick or disabled we can't travel anymore.

Personal Finance: RV park contract tough to cancel - Personal Finance - Claudia Buck - The Sacramento Bee

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Since I am still a working man and can only go a few weeks a year.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

handbuilder, Timex, Terier, and clyde - thank you for all of your inputs!!!!!

And to EVERYONE - THANK YOU again!!!! You all have been wonderful help! From what everyone has suggested, combined with the additional research I've done, I think we will go with Good Sam for now. We'll most likely get into KOA as well, but for now we'll just take one bite at a time. Not sure the timeshare is for us, but won't slam the door on that just yet.
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #15

My folks had joined several of the membership networks when they were full timing. Periodically, these things would go bust, and change all the rules/benefits. Not surprisingly, you'd still have to keep paying. They can bankrupt, but you can't break your contract.

I'd rather pay as a daily/transient and choose the best places to stay. Some of these so-called private parks will take people off the street as dailies. Each seems to make it's own rules, so you never know.

Good Sam is a good deal - I also buy the roadside assistance coverage. You best money spent is to buy a campground guide - they are several - and look for interesting places to try out. Certainly I'd camp for a couple years before I bought into something.

From what my folks experienced, these memberships cater to the "get something for nothing" crowd (present company excluded, of course! ). I think they take advantage of them and they are often left disappointed, because there really is no free lunch.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #16
Site Team

Timex - that was an interesting article.

After becoming a widow without any source of income my sister-in-law quickly learned that her Mountain Lakes membership could only be sold & transferred 3 (or 4?) times. Thankfully she was the first owner. This is something to watch out for when buying someone else's membership.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #17

We're looking into one ourselves, next weekend we're heading to Julian to check out KQ Ranch. I read up on these things and learn a few things as well. Make sure you read the resort membership fine print and clauses. As they put quite a bit in it and requires monthly dues, no transfer til etc...

Another source I read is the BBB, better business bureau, to check on their ratings etc.
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #18

One benefit of Goo
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #19

One benefit of Good Sam is free shipping on orders from Camping World. I can watch for sale items and order as I please with no shipping charges added. This has paid for over my membership in the few months I have had it.

roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote