Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #1

Campground Pricing

What is the rationality of how some campground charge rates ? When we camp it’s my Wife myself and are two Pomeranians. Ok I get the premium sites up charge and what season it is. Some campgrounds we have been to say the price reflect two people and any additional person is $3.00 per night extra so a couple with three kids pays an additional $9.00 per night with a max up to 6 or maybe 8 on the site. One campground we enjoyed going to had a $3.00 per day per dog fee in addition ( Not sure why it cost $6.00 per day and they didn’t provide poop bags) to the nightly rate so another $6.00 per day extra charge we paid.

One of our favorite campgrounds charged a flat rate that included up to 6 people and three dogs same price for 30AMP or 50AMP service now it seems many place have a $3.00 extra charge for 50AMP service again ok it’s cost’s them more right ?

I can’t really say I am complaining about the charges except the $3.00 per day per dog fee (We liked the campground enough to keep going back though..LOL….It was the principal in my opinion) I get it the campgrounds have to make money and you can take it or leave in their opinion.

Has anyone else ever thought the same thing ? or perhaps not stayed at a campground due to the perceived high prices or charges ?
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

These campgrounds are privately owned and can charge whatever they want. You also have the right to not stay there.

I typically do not go camping just for the sake of camping. If there is someplace I want to go, I will search out campgrounds in the vicinity. How badly or how close I want to be to my destination will dictate just how much I will be willing to pay. I go to Disney World in Orlando every year and pay close to $100 per night to stay at Ft Wilderness. There are other places where $30 is too much.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #3

We stayed a few nights at Indian Lake, NY where they metered the electricity used at each site and only charged for usage. Their base rate was cheap (cash only). We will likely go back.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
These campgrounds are privately owned and can charge whatever they want. You also have the right to not stay there.

I typically do not go camping just for the sake of camping. If there is someplace I want to go, I will search out campgrounds in the vicinity. How badly or how close I want to be to my destination will dictate just how much I will be willing to pay. I go to Disney World in Orlando every year and pay close to $100 per night to stay at Ft Wilderness. There are other places where $30 is too much.
That makes sense to me...So why is $30.00 too much to spend for a site it doesn't fit your criteria or your worth it price ?

We used to live near Newport Dunes Camping Resort in Southern CA the Summer super site rate for a 35X45 site was $300-$479 per night and that didn't include the $2.00 per day pet fee or $5.00 per pet fee if you stayed for a week
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
What is the rationality of how some campground charge rates ?

I get it the campgrounds have to make money and you can take it or leave in their opinion.

Has anyone else ever thought the same thing ? or perhaps not stayed at a campground due to the perceived high prices or charges ?
A lot of times it's whatever the market will bear. Up here in the Northeast, most of the campgrounds rely on seasonals for a stable income. Depending on the size of the campground, the vacant sites available and the facilities/activities they offer, they will charge accordingly.

We have stopped camping in our home state of Connecticut, and go just over the border to Massachusetts, where rates are often $10-$15 less per night for similar accommodations.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Always Learning

For families, we call it the "kid tax". I think it's generally ridiculous - my camper is fully contained and I cannot imagine that I'm consuming an extra $5-10/night in services with my 5 and 13 year olds.

The only thing that I can possibly attribute it to is the small percentage of buttheads who let their kids (and dogs, in your case) damage stuff. Let them run wild and break things (or poop and not pickup).

What kills me is the clearly family-centered kinds of places that do this: KOAs but ESPECIALLY Jellystone. The fact that Jellystones charge a kid tax is atrocious to me.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
That makes sense to me...So why is $30.00 too much to spend for a site it doesn't fit your criteria or your worth it price ?

We used to live near Newport Dunes Camping Resort in Southern CA the Summer super site rate for a 35X45 site was $300-$479 per night and that didn't include the $2.00 per day pet fee or $5.00 per pet fee if you stayed for a week
300.00 - 479.00 per night. Think I would pass on that. They serve breakfast in bed
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For families, we call it the "kid tax". I think it's generally ridiculous - my camper is fully contained and I cannot imagine that I'm consuming an extra $5-10/night in services with my 5 and 13 year olds.

The only thing that I can possibly attribute it to is the small percentage of buttheads who let their kids (and dogs, in your case) damage stuff. Let them run wild and break things (or poop and not pickup).

What kills me is the clearly family-centered kinds of places that do this: KOAs but ESPECIALLY Jellystone. The fact that Jellystones charge a kid tax is atrocious to me.
I completely agree with Edad! I recently inquired about a place that had a $10 per child/adult surcharge per night! This is completely unacceptable, especially during a time of the year when swimming pools and other activities are closed. There have also been times when we had 7-8 people in our rig and were turned away. I could easily have slept 10+ in my 5er, since at least half were kids. Camping is a family activity, but many campgrounds penalize families with the high fees and make it out of reach for many. I would like to see a restructure of fees with private campgrounds where at least a family of 4 pays the same price or the price of a campsite is the same regardless of number, up to max occupancy.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #9

What I don’t understand is why they add an extra charge depending on how many are camping. If you are using one site what does it matter if you have 4 people or 6 people. If they are adults or are children. It’s not like a hotel where they need to supply more beds or anything. I have been to camp grounds where they charged extra for another vehicle at the site.

They charging more cause the amount of water you may use?
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

With land prices exploding all over the country, these campgrounds have to charge what they do to stay profitable. I am not saying there are areas that are gouging customers, but I am one of those who also feel the price reflected in the daily/weekly etc rate needs to be fully inclusive of all in the party. But we have fallen into a profiteering trap where "fees" and "surcharges" are the norm. Take a look at the airlines. $ paid is for the seat only. Want to carry anything in the cargo area? That will cost you huge. It used to be all inclusive. not any longer. The "fees" are just a cash cow for the business owner and unless the public revolts and stops paying these fees blindly, this practice will not change.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
Site Team

We primarily stay in state, federal and county park campgrounds.
We prefer more natural settings and don't care about amenities like pools and game rooms.
They tend to be much cheaper than private parks, except for California state parks.

We do use Passport America parks if they are cheaper than the public parks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #12

I don't understand either...

I would understand if it was ?? meals included, additional utilities, entertainment included, bus/transportation fees, lifeguard duties, etc., but just to charge? Just average out the costs and don't make people mad. IMO(in my opinion)
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
code.org

Campland on the Bay

Quote:
It should be a matter of whatever the market will bear, but sometimes in SoCal it is whatever they can get away with.

We used to go to Campland on the Bay in San Diego, CA. Their summer rate for a water front site has gone up to $359 - $432 per night. They also have per night charges of $10 per person beyond a total of four, $10 for extra vehicle, $10 if you bring your own golf cart, $3 per dog, $10 per trailer, $35 for a boat slip, and $25 if you want them to guarantee what site you are getting.

If that is too steep, you can always camp in their dirt lot for $65 per night.

We no longer go there.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We do use Passport America parks if they are cheaper than the public parks.
Tell me about Passport America. I am unfamiliar with them.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
It's a discount program for a lot of RV parks. You pay a yearly fee of around $40-50 (or a lifetime fee for a couple of hundred) and you get discounts at various campgrounds. Each campground sets its own rules. But it can definitely be a money saver.

More info:
Various Memberships for the Weekender and Fulltimer | Learn To RV
Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
A search on any RV forum will give you weeks of reading and tons of reviews.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #17

Quote:

For $300 - $479 a night, I would want someone to rotate the air in my tires each day and cook my meals too!
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #18

Does it really matter if people use the water/sewer/elect in their units or the Campground facilities,they still use these? Also I have seen "Kids" use a Lot More Water than adults in the Showers,being RV or Campground! Toilet flush is the same amount of Water for Kids or Adults! I am More concerned about the Elimination of "Senior Discount" than anything! Youroo!!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
Insert witty title here

Quote:

For me, it's less about the campground and more about what's nearby. I'll gladly pay more for a campground if there's something nearby I REALLY want to see. The nicest campground in the world isn't that appealing to me if there's nothing around that interests me.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
For $300 - $479 a night, I would want someone to rotate the air in my tires each day and cook my meals too!

For that kind of daily rate I'll be right over. I can start on Monday.
prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg