Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #31

now that I think about, I remember a time when we were tenting on our farm and we had a theft. A loaf of bread went missing and the thief ate a hole in the side of our food tent. We always kept our food away from our sleeping tents. Anyway, we found the part loaf in the field with what might have been fox prints everywhere.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #32

Way back in the day myself and some buddies were tent camping on a HOT August weekend. We went swimming in the creek and when we returned someone had taken all of our cold drinks from the cooler but inside the cooler they left us a $20 bill guess they were just to tired or lazy to run to the store themselves.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #33
MI Camperz

OMG Ohiocamper...that's hysterical!
RPAspey.....I had a similar incident with Racoons who took food out of a clamped down lidded plastic container. They were kind enough to not leave crumbs, put the plastic wrap beyond our campsite, and....they clamped the lid back on. Intelligent little rascals! That was back in the day when I was tent camping across Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Mike and Lynn
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #34

Well, from my little corner of the campground...my wife and I are getting ready to start our second season. Like most, we wanted to start camping locally. Prior to doing this we visited the county park which has about 45 sites. The park also has operating hours that are from 8am-10pm with gates that close and are padlocked. The campers are provided the combination of the lock, which changes weekly so that if we need to leave or arrive after hours, we can. Otherwise there is no vehicle traffic allowed after hours. The campsites are about 4 miles in as well. The park has a Ranger that drives around to ensure all is sound, and he gets into the CG hourly. Additionally, the park has a CG Caretaker who ensures that all is well. The CG is open from April 1st to Thanksgiving. He is on site all season, although he does have a day job. Those of us camping tend to watch as much as much as we can to what is going on. (Attention to detail, driven into me while in the Navy). This tends to make a nice "community." While my wife and I were looking at this CG, we stopped at the Rangers Office got the information, and then before just merely driving through the sites, talked to the caretaker. Unknown vehicles are noticed....so.... One thing that I noticed is that there are questionable persons driving through the campground, even though they are not camping. I would be more concerned about the drive throughs than the campers.

Additionally, Oaklevel mentioned the theft of car haulers...two years ago, I bought a new 18' dovetail car hauler...brought it home, installed a hitch lock, wrap around style ball lock, and...ran MasterLock steel cable locks through both the aluminum wheels and spring perches on both sides. Yes, I agree, this is just to keep the honest man, honest, nevertheless I tend to like to keep my possessions mine...at least until I want to let them go...

I also agree that temptation should be avoided, so I as well lock up or take certain valuables with me. Additionally, our tv quit on us, very shortly after purchase and as much as I feel I want to replace it, I haven't. My DW and I have both agreed upon that...and as much as I miss NASCAR racing, love the outdoors and the family time.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #35
Explorer

Be Aware

I tend to believe, ďI can only keep the honest people honestĒ, keep your sight organized and clean; donít leave a wallet on the dash, shotgun leaning out the truck window or a case of beer under the camper(not covered). The bad-guys are not going to worry about a lock, if they want it theyíll get it.
This all said, I believe in lead poisoning and a good dog. I have a motion light but I think the best advice is to know your neighbors even when they change often. If we all watch out for each other I would feel safe. Even if you donít want to get directly involved in a situation, take pictures. I like to drive by individuals, who look out of place, and let them see me taking pictures. Nothing to direct I just want them to know people are watching. I feel if your not doing anything wrong than why would you care if I take a picture. Let them think I am weird, I donít mind.
Highway patrol has a class for campers(maybe only full timers) itís a Home Land Security course. Itís to help campers be aware of suspicious situations and call it in.
Weíre all in the same boat(campers) lets help each other.
John
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik View Post
I tend to believe, ďI can only keep the honest people honestĒ, keep your sight organized and clean; donít leave a wallet on the dash, shotgun leaning out the truck window or a case of beer under the camper(not covered). The bad-guys are not going to worry about a lock, if they want it theyíll get it.
This all said, I believe in lead poisoning and a good dog. I have a motion light but I think the best advice is to know your neighbors even when they change often. If we all watch out for each other I would feel safe. Even if you donít want to get directly involved in a situation, take pictures. I like to drive by individuals, who look out of place, and let them see me taking pictures. Nothing to direct I just want them to know people are watching. I feel if your not doing anything wrong than why would you care if I take a picture. Let them think I am weird, I donít mind.
Highway patrol has a class for campers(maybe only full timers) itís a Home Land Security course. Itís to help campers be aware of suspicious situations and call it in.
Weíre all in the same boat(campers) lets help each other.
John
Kinda like the shotgun hanging out the window. Good deterrent!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wonder how affective my "bug a salt rifle" would be as a deterrent ?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #38
Site Team

I haven't had any problems but I don't leave stuff out except for maybe one chair and a plastic table. Much easier to see if something is missing. Below is a picture of the sign that one of my favorite campground started posting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Campground notice IMG01494-20120329-1426.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	25759

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #39

My wife, in a former incarnation, was tent camping, went hiking and someone had rifles through tent. We don't make it any easier for them.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post
Back when we were tent camping, we came back to find raccoon footprints everywhere. Opened our (zippered!) cooler, stole our entire breakfast. Even drank the kids Capri Suns!
OH NO, not the Oreos!

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote