Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #81

I've know a few friends of mine that had their portable generator stolen at a cg and it was locked up. They told me the thieves stole around 6 portable generators that were locked up in that cg that night. I personally had my boat cover stolen from my storage yard and the guy parked next to me got his prop stolen as well his tt getting broken into. I hear less thefts that happen while camping and more while in storage... How often do we actually check in on our toys while in storage? Even with cameras my storage told me there was no way to identify who stole my cover and thieves would seem to have as much time as needed to take what they like. They could even scout storage lots to see which lots would have the most valueable equipment with the lowest chances of getting caught. Just food for thought since this topic has been brought up.
Cacooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #82

Friday my brother and his wife went fishing at Ray Hubard in Dallas , public boat ramp . Someone tried to steal his truck. Pop the lock . Damaged the steering column , stole all his stuff in the truck
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #83

We have never had anything stolen. But my cousin who camps with us 4-5 times a year was with a group a few weeks ago and others in the group had 2 coolers full of beer stolen. The CG workers ended up finding out who it was when 2 kids in their early 20's were seen throwing 2 coolers, full of empty cans, into one of the dumpsters the next day.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #84

Only thing we have ever had stolen was a couple of pieces of firewood, and it happened right in front of us. A young child was walking around looking for firewood and walked up to our pile and picked up a piece and started to walk away. He couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old. We sat their just stunned, not knowing what to say. Then the child's father came around the bend and saw what his son was doing he was so apologetic and embarrassed. We were just like hey he couldn't carry more than 1 or two pieces anyway, no problem. One thing I have noticed more of though is lack of respect for other people's sites. What I mean is I would never take a short cut and walk through someone's site, whether they are there or not. It seems lately that some people, mainly young adults think it is perfectly OK to just cut through your site .
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #85
MI Camperz

I've never had anything stolen in years and years of camping except a loaf of bread...the culprits were racoons. They were polite, however, and put the lid back on the container (back in the tenting days). They were also polite enough to leave the bread bag at the back of the campsite so it wasn't unsightly litter.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #86

The only real issue I've ever had was a Raccoon getting into a cooler!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #87

Skeeter, you too? I had a raccoon get in my cooler and take some pizza I had, no kidding. Kinda blew my mind that they were able to do that, yet leave the Miller alone.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #88

Years ago where we were staying saw a raccoon take a metal trash can lid off (It was tied on) He did not put it back though...................What a racket he made bouncing up & down til it finally came loose ......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
One thing I have noticed more of though is lack of respect for other people's sites. What I mean is I would never take a short cut and walk through someone's site, whether they are there or not. It seems lately that some people, mainly young adults think it is perfectly OK to just cut through your site .
That is also something we've been noticing and yes its mostly with teenagers. One time I made the mistake of getting a site that was next to the Camp areas restroom and showers Never again will I do that. Everyone and their mother was cutting through our site. What I usually do now is get solar lights and make a perimeter around my site. That has actually helped.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
Only thing we have ever had stolen was a couple of pieces of firewood, and it happened right in front of us. A young child was walking around looking for firewood and walked up to our pile and picked up a piece and started to walk away. He couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old. We sat their just stunned, not knowing what to say. Then the child's father came around the bend and saw what his son was doing he was so apologetic and embarrassed. We were just like hey he couldn't carry more than 1 or two pieces anyway, no problem.
What a great setting for a child to learn.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #91

I have only had issues with raccoons as well. We were totally over run one night in hocking hills. Playing cards outside, heard a cooler open, and there one is holding open the cooler. Let the lid down just enough to peek over the top and gave us a look like "stop me" and opened it back up again. We chased them with a sling shot all night long. Got up the next morning and found they had busted open my buddies corn hole bean bags.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #92
Always Learning

We have raccoons at home and they're a constant hassle. Yes, they can open all sorts of garbage cans. If they can't climb up it, they'll knock it over and work at it that way. All of our plastic garbage cans have little teeth marks in them.

Those, however - aren't the ones that bother me.

It's the guy that comes onto the deck at the back of the house when we're cooking anything aromatic. Ballsy little guys, too - I threw a water bottle at one, hit it and he just looked at me like, "yeah? and your point?" It wasn't until I went out wielding a stick and yelling at him did he retreat any. Even that was to get off of the deck and not a whole lot farther.

I gave them a veritable smorgasbord when I put in a little fountain with gold fish. It was a slaughter of epic proportions that went on for far too long.

AND- we've had them climb the screen on our back door.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
i gave them a veritable smorgasbord when i put in a little fountain with gold fish. It was a slaughter of epic proportions that went on for far too long.
lol
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #94
Jack of All Trades

Never had anything stolen at a campground, but someone stole our power cord and extension cord while we were parked at home. And no, we don't live in suberbia, we live out in the country.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #95
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
Never had anything stolen at a campground, but someone stole our power cord and extension cord while we were parked at home. And no, we don't live in suberbia, we live out in the country.

Rick
I live in suburbia.. when the camper is home, it's parked on the street, in front of my house (almost always hitched to the truck to skirt the legalities of what I'm doing). But, to plug in - I have to run an extension cord down my driveway, across the sidewalk, then to my pair of dog bone adapters and then to my 50amp cord which runs the length of my camper (plug-in is at the very rear of the camper).

It's a lot of money in cords and adapters. I unplug it each night and throw the lot into the garage.

It's such a hassle.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #96
Jack of All Trades

Ours is in the driveway parking turnout, right next to the house. Whomever stole the cords had to be right at the walk door to the garage. The had more guts than I do!

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #97

My whole family has camped all my life, grandparents, parents, extended family, that I know of the only thing that has ever been taken was a pair of fire tongs that my uncle stole from my grand dad.... (nice to have family around, right?) That being said, I always carry my gun in the camper, and every where else i legally can for that matter, and I generally only leave things like chairs and non valuable things under the awning at night.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I live in suburbia.. when the camper is home, it's parked on the street, in front of my house (almost always hitched to the truck to skirt the legalities of what I'm doing). But, to plug in - I have to run an extension cord down my driveway, across the sidewalk, then to my pair of dog bone adapters and then to my 50amp cord which runs the length of my camper (plug-in is at the very rear of the camper).

It's a lot of money in cords and adapters. I unplug it each night and throw the lot into the garage.

It's such a hassle.
Use something like this for the power cord, "they" will know or find out about that little lock!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130611_155932.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	33111   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130611_155909.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	33112  
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #99

2 years ago we had our firewood "REMOVED" from our site without our consent.The following day I mentioned this to the CG office and they informed us that two kid's bikes were also "REMOVED" from another site. I made sure to tell everyone I came across that day of the thefts. That evening, we saw everybody loading bikes and firewood into their trucks for the night. That weekend also had a few CG bathrooms trashed. Never had this happen before or since. We continue to store firewood and chairs in the back of the pickup just to play it safe.
bob1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post

Use something like this for the power cord, "they" will know or find out about that little lock!
Camping Buddys, where could you get a lock assy like that? Knowing that nothing is sacred, a little deterrent is always welcome.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote