Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #51

I met somebody last year here in Tulsa who said his entire trailer was stolen off the lot of a motel he stayed in for one night. That's what I'm worried about. He's a traveling contractor like me. He didn't mention whether he had a ball locked into his hitch, but as of right now, that's my plan. Can any of you more experienced in this tell m if there's a better mechanism for securing your trailer from be simply towed away?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #52
Fulltime family RVer

First, if I was able to - I'd leave the trailer hitched to the vehicle and back it up to where you'd have to move the TV to get to the trailer.

Second, yes - lock the ball so that trailer can't simply be opened and lifted off of the ball.

Third, you can lock the ball receiver into the hitch on the TV.

Finally, I've read that you can run heavy chains through the wheels and around the axle.

That said, I've left my fifth wheel parked (hitched to the truck) at 2 hotels now and haven't had any issues. Plus, it stays that way in front of my house on the road where car "break-ins" are common (I say "break-in" because they only go through your car if it's unlocked). No one has done anything to the camper so far.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #53
Site Team - Lou

Someone stole the aluminum pan full of grease drippings AND my grill wire brush (also with grease on it) RIGHT OFF OF MY GRILL!

The NERVE of some folks!

I found the pan nearby, all shiny and clean; but punctured with tiny holes so I could not use it again! Grrrr So Mean!

I still am looking for my grill brush!

Oh, well off to the Home Store...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #54

Thanks ependydad, I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's worth the money to buy one of those expensive locking hitch covers, or just lock an extra ball in the hitch for those times I want to drive somewhere with the trailer in tow. Not too worried about it being towed out of an rv park while go to work. But if I stop in some town and maybe park it somewhere so I can drive around without it, that's when I'd feel most vulnerable.
And now I'm learning about the infamous 751 key...in that case, then I'd be worried about my rv park neighbors. Something else I gotta fix...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Someone stole the aluminum pan full of grease drippings AND my grill wire brush (also with grease on it) RIGHT OFF OF MY GRILL!

The NERVE of some folks!

I found the pan nearby, all shiny and clean; but punctured with tiny holes so I could not use it again! Grrrr So Mean!

Oh, well off to the Home Store...
HAHA! At first I thought, "now why on earth would somebody want your drippings"? Then I realized that I have the same sort of evil thieves in my back yard stealing fom my bird feeders. LOL
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #56
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Thanks ependydad, I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's worth the money to buy one of those expensive locking hitch covers, or just lock an extra ball in the hitch for those times I want to drive somewhere with the trailer in tow. Not too worried about it being towed out of an rv park while go to work. But if I stop in some town and maybe park it somewhere so I can drive around without it, that's when I'd feel most vulnerable.
And now I'm learning about the infamous 751 key...in that case, then I'd be worried about my rv park neighbors. Something else I gotta fix...
I think I read in this thread that even if you lock the coupler closed, some bad guys will use a small ball to hookup and pull the camper to an area that they can work the lock a bit more.

Depending on where you're leaving it, it might be worthwhile.

(You didn't say otherwise, but...) I'd also recommend that you get permission from the land owner to leave your camper sit while you drive off without it. It could be that the "thief" is really the "towing" company.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #57

You would be surprised how easy you can tow a trailor by just hooking up CHAINS to a bumper LOL

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
In response to the police officer amongst us; We've been camping for over a year and have yet to hear of a theft. We saw one site where the couple completely unloaded their trade in onto their site, left to get their new bus, all was there upon their return. We think campers in general, tend to watch out for one another. Now, having said that, we never leave home without our Kimber!
Hay, you don't need a kimber you have that attack cat !!!!!!!. As far as leaving things out I learned we lost a 700.00 bike, the new bike is always chained now to my landing gear. But in all and all MOST CG are pretty safe. I also find that campers watch out for each other, only if you take the time to know them!!!!!
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #59

Having dogs help. Pick up valuables, items around the site before bed.

All else fails, sleep on the reclining chair next to the campfire because the dogs have taken your spot in bed and you don't want to wake the DW moving them.
2 Vizsla's Mizuno & Zeno, 1 Weimaraner Kayda

2013 Nights Camped 7
vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The racoons are probably using it for a back scratcher!

99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote