Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #101

See? Even that raccoon knows what REAL beer is! If it had been Fat Tire or Shiner, it would have disappeared!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
Only thing we have ever had stolen was a couple of pieces of firewood, and it happened right in front of us. A young child was walking around looking for firewood and walked up to our pile and picked up a piece and started to walk away. He couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old. We sat their just stunned, not knowing what to say. Then the child's father came around the bend and saw what his son was doing he was so apologetic and embarrassed. We were just like hey he couldn't carry more than 1 or two pieces anyway, no problem. One thing I have noticed more of though is lack of respect for other people's sites. What I mean is I would never take a short cut and walk through someone's site, whether they are there or not. It seems lately that some people, mainly young adults think it is perfectly OK to just cut through your site .
Yes, that is really bad manners. I figure everyone's site is their private property during the time they are renting it. I guess others don't see it that way. I think most of us welcome people who walk by on the road and stop at our sites to be friendly, and most folks tend to speak to you first before walking onto your site, in my experience. I usually invite them to come on over and sit down. But folks who just want to take a shortcut.....that's a product of poor upbringing and laziness.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #103
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
Camping Buddys, where could you get a lock assy like that? Knowing that nothing is sacred, a little deterrent is always welcome.
They are gun locks. Thousands were given away by police departments all over the country a few years ago for families to secure their guns against unauthorized use. Can't say I have ever seen one on a gun though...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
Camping Buddys, where could you get a lock assy like that? Knowing that nothing is sacred, a little deterrent is always welcome.
City of Hermosa Beach : Project Child Safety

They are gun locks. Thousands were given away by police departments all over the country a few years ago for families to secure their guns against unauthorized use. Can't say I have ever seen one on a gun though...x2
Attached Images

https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #105

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I know my guns are Iocked up but certainly not with those.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #106

I have now changed out my lights on both sides of my RV to motion senors activated. If someone come's into my CG at night it comes on automatically by heat sensors, but will not pick up cats and raccoon's and dogs. I found this Company that I recommend highly they are called starlightsinc.com. There products hook up and replace the lights that come with your unit. They are are great company. After 2 years I had a sensor lens crack, they sent me free replacements. You can set the sensitivity your self and they are also great lights when you come home, mine will pick a person up 30' away and stay on for 5 mins. All you do is replace the fixture and use the original switch to either keep it on like a regular light or turn your switch on then off and back on again to make it into a sensor light. I wouldn't be without one. It will diff. keep a person out of your CG and protect your stuff. I have one now at my door and on the other side where my electrical plugs in. I'm tiring to have FR put these on all the units, not much more $$ then a regular light fixture. Check out their web site, they also sell any kinda of LED's that you could ever need.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #107

I use something similar with great results. Here it is on amazon and has good reviews. I like that they are battery operated.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #108

Well my problem with theft always seems to be in the cooler area. As mentioned before, I have had a cooler full of beer stolen over a memorial day weekend, and this past week, while in FL, at a state park, someone went into our cooler and removed 2 "T" bone steaks. It is really kind of weird because the were 4 more steaks in the cooler, along with some ground beef, and several different drinks, and a cooler full of beer right beside it. At first I thought it might have been rodents, but I don't think they would have got the cooler open, and if they had, I believe they would have taken more than a package containing two steaks.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #109

Someone took my sewer hose and folding plastic sewer hose holder from my 38 foot class A motor home when we were staying at Kelly's RV park west of Callahan Florida on US 1 / 301 about 3 years ago. When I told the owner of the RV park, she reimbursed me $20.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #110
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac1964 View Post
Well my problem with theft always seems to be in the cooler area. As mentioned before, I have had a cooler full of beer stolen over a memorial day weekend, and this past week, while in FL, at a state park, someone went into our cooler and removed 2 "T" bone steaks. It is really kind of weird because the were 4 more steaks in the cooler, along with some ground beef, and several different drinks, and a cooler full of beer right beside it. At first I thought it might have been rodents, but I don't think they would have got the cooler open, and if they had, I believe they would have taken more than a package containing two steaks.
Not to be flippant, but leaving a cooler out is kinda inviting theft. Learned that many yrs ago when 2 young boys (6 or 7) helped themselves to our cooler of Pepsi, but later that day, here came the boys with their father and apologized profusely. We accepted part of the blame for leaving the cooler out, but I think the boys learned a good lesson. We don't leave coolers out anymore.
BTW, the boys became good friends to our 2 boys over the summer and are still friends and laugh about the incident.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not to be flippant, but leaving a cooler out is kinda inviting theft. Learned that many yrs ago when 2 young boys (6 or 7) helped themselves to our cooler of Pepsi, but later that day, here came the boys with their father and apologized profusely. We accepted part of the blame for leaving the cooler out, but I think the boys learned a good lesson. We don't leave coolers out anymore.
BTW, the boys became good friends to our 2 boys over the summer and are still friends and laugh about the incident.
You are probably right, and I do sometimes put the cooler in the back of the truck now if it is a busy weekend at the campground. But this was on a Wed night, and there were only a few people there, so I never dreamed anyone would be in it. My mistake I guess.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #112
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac1964 View Post
You are probably right, and I do sometimes put the cooler in the back of the truck now if it is a busy weekend at the campground. But this was on a Wed night, and there were only a few people there, so I never dreamed anyone would be in it. My mistake I guess.
I think it is human nature to relax a little and/or forget that all people are not as honest as we would like to believe them to be. We leave more valuable things out than our cooler, but we've been very lucky of the last 50+ yrs of camping with the Pepsi incident being our only encounter and it turned out being good in the end as 4 friendships were made no doubt for life.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #113

The only thieves we have ran across while camping are the RACCOONS!!!
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #114

Five years and never an issue. Would not leave my wallet, keys, electronics, etc... out. Always lock the trailer and truck up when gone and at night. Otherwise, no one has ever messed with chairs, hitch equipment, stroller, even cheap toys left on the picnic table. Heck, better than my neighborhood (and we're a low-crime area.)
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote