Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #1

Campground trailer size limits

Hi Friends,
Just as my husband and I are getting serious about buying a bigger trailer, someone tells us that most campgrounds have a limit of 28 ft for the size of trailer they allow. Is this just an urban myth? Is it true? Also... We are looking at a 28BHS model. ( 28 ft bunkhouse slide model). Which is actually
31 ft. So when asked about my trailer model... Is it a 28 ft, or a 31 ft.... I am sure you can see why I am asking.. Haha.

On this same topic... I had a bad experience getting a decent camping spot in Calgary. The girl finally admitted to me that they keep their biggest and best sites in case a bigger rig comes in. ( makes sense). But I was always calling my hybrid a 21 ft, even though it expands to about 30 ft.
So I was getting tiny little sites....

So I would love to have the inside scoop on how this all works... Thanks...

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
IS IT 31' 0r 28' ?

My 8285WS is advertised as a 31'6" with spare tire and king pin hitch. But if you measure it with out the spare and protruding hitch, pretty close to 28' . The title says it is 28'

Some state parks will not take over a 28' in length.

My suggestion is, if you are making reservations, give 28'. I do not think that anyone will run out and measure your RV when checking in.

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

Most campgrounds don't charge by the length but rather by what ammenities you want (water, power, sewer) so I don't think it makes sense to minimize the size of your camper. Ours is 32 feet, but we have 5 bicycles on the back so I round up to 35 feet. There are other campgrounds around Calgary. Did you find a different one for your next visit?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

No myth, the camp ground we wanted to go to told us that they have a limit of 28 ft. So we bought a Wildwood 26TBSS which is actually 28 ft 8 inches long . I hope when I pull up to the cg they don't turn us away. I hope this isn't going to be a rare case of "Size does MATTER"
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #5

No we could not seem to find anything decent. So I told them I would not come back unless we got a better site.
We were about to pull out after she sent us to two terrible spots... One on a slope so you open the door and fall down the hill and one was flooded. Once I said we were leaving a beautiful site suddenly opened up.....

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Did you look at Calaway park which is just another couple miles West on the TransCanada? Yes it's adjacent to an amusement park but perhaps that would be better and plus you could indulge in cotton candy!

Another campground is in Cochrane. From the TransCanada you go North on highway 22 (again just West of where you were) for about 8-10 minutes. You'll see the town down along the Bow River. To get to the campground turn RIGHT (East) at the light after crossing over the Bow River and follow that road until you get to the campground. The Spray Lakes Sports Complex is right next door so bring your skates - they have several ice rinks. The Campground is on the river (which is pretty) and running alongside the river is a nice hiking / biking trail. Cochrane has gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants so you can easily take care of those needs. The best restaurant is Guy's Bakery which has not only baked goods, but fantastic sandwiches and amazing home made soup. There is a community pool (google Bill Hill Leisure Pool for open swim times). McKay's is a tradition - they make their own ice cream and on hot days the sidewalks around are full of folks strolling with cones in hand. Let me know if you want other suggestions.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The State Parks we frequent list the site lengths through ReserveAmerica. I go by those lengths and have seen very few that were less than 30'. My Hybrid is 29'6" open.

Having said that, I've noticed that the older a State or National park's sites are, the smaller they tend to be.

Also, sometimes a park will limit the size of the trailer due to road conditions (narrow road, tight turns, overhangs, etc). I've been to several parks that I would not want to drive into with a big rig.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

When going to a CG you should give the proper size of your TT. The owners have sites that will only take short trailer. If you have a Hybrid that open to 30' tell the owner you have a 30' trailer. if not the could put you on a shorter site. Older parks have small sites because they were built when the trailers were smaller, that is why they have a size limit. We went to a provincial park last year and had a hard time finding a site for our 34' trailer. The sites were long enough it was the turns to access the site that we were having trouble with.
caper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
The State Parks we frequent list the site lengths through ReserveAmerica. I go by those lengths and have seen very few that were less than 30'. Also, sometimes a park will limit the size of the trailer due to road conditions (narrow road, tight turns, overhangs, etc). I've been to several parks that I would not want to drive into with a big rig.
ReserveAmerica is not always accurate. We wanted to stay at Myles Standish State Park (Mass) while visiting Plymouth and Plimouth Plantation. None of the sites were listed as being longer than 30 feet. I doubted that because they also noted some of those sites being previous horse areas. I phoned and spoke to Rangers who acknowledged that many sites were over 30 feet and suggested which areas might be better for us. Worked out fine. That Park is huge with lots of camping areas. I saw few RVs however and I wonder if poor descriptions on Reserve America have contributed to low use?

I think it's worth a phone call to the Rangers who know their own park.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #10

It does seem like the older campgrounds are not set for the bigger TT's. We are starting to learn here in Ohio where to go and not to go based on that. We camp with a group of about 9 campers most of the time, and try to find places that will work for us all.

2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote