Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #21

NWFGeek is pretty close. First, yes you can be hacked at a campground. If its wifi is at the low end of security, it's easy to get hacked. If it (and your bank) are very secure it's a bit harder to get hacked, and seldom will a group with technical savy enough even bother with you. IF A HACKER WITH TECHNICAL SAVY wants your specific data account. It is his. No matter how secure the wifi or public network is. (See recent cyber attacks) What protects you most is the fact they (hackers) aren't interested in you due to the work and risk in accessing your accounts. VISA and other bank card info is the low hanging fruit that they want. Those are easy to get and the risk is nil. But a wifi or phone network with decent security is not a great risk for you. You COULD get robbed walking in the bank parking lot, or from the RV to the laundry room and it happens more often.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #22

I use my Verizon hot spot for all banking, mostly on my Apple Mac laptop. I have 12 GB of data and next year when I start on the road I plan to have 30GB

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #23

As a side note to banking security...

If you do online banking, go to your bank's website and sign up for the security alerts they all offer. For instance, they will text or email you if any CC or bank transaction exceeds $50 (you set the amount). My cell phone is beeping when I am getting the receipt handed to me... it is that fast. If you get a text and you did not buy anything, then CALL your financial organization immediately to stop the hacker in their tracks...

I too use my iphone data connection to do banking and secure transactions needing a laptop I tether via the hotspot on the iphone.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
As a side note to banking security...

If you do online banking, go to your bank's website and sign up for the security alerts they all offer. For instance, they will text or email you if any CC or bank transaction exceeds $50 (you set the amount). My cell phone is beeping when I am getting the receipt handed to me... it is that fast. If you get a text and you did not buy anything, then CALL your financial organization immediately to stop the hacker in their tracks...

I too use my iphone data connection to do banking and secure transactions needing a laptop I tether via the hotspot on the iphone.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #25

IMO - I wouldn't do any banking or online shopping on a pubic WIFI...

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #26

I have done it with my iPhone but now I use a hotspot

Tags
mpg