Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKampers View Post
Hey Keith,
Come visit us in the West. Texas State Parks have made a huge push to implement free WiFi, as well as Colorado and Louisiana State Parks. You'll even find WiFi access available in remote places like Big Bend National Park and as of this past Labor Day weekend, in Rocky Mountain National Park!
I think I may start traveling in Texas more. How big rig friendly are your state parks?
proggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Hey Keith,
Come visit us in the West. Texas State Parks have made a huge push to implement free WiFi, as well as Colorado and Louisiana State Parks. You'll even find WiFi access available in remote places like Big Bend National Park and as of this past Labor Day weekend, in Rocky Mountain National Park!
In some ways I'm sorry to hear about Rocky Mountain National Park. We used to camp frequently at Aspenglen and Glacier Basin when we lived in Colorado. We would also go up into NFS campgrounds in Roosevelt National Forest.

For me the various government campgrounds not having WiFi or television service is fine. I still remember going to Grand Teton NP and staying in the cabins which had no television sets. When the DW and I go to government campgrounds it is to get back to nature or to fish and we leave the computer at home. When we are traveling and the trailer is serving more as a motel substitute we typically stay at private campgrounds so we do look for television and WiFi service.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #23
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
... When the DW and I go to government campgrounds it is to get back to nature or to fish and we leave the computer at home. When we are traveling and the trailer is serving more as a motel substitute we typically stay at private campgrounds so we do look for television and WiFi service.
X2 although we don't fish. We like nature trails and sightseeing in the area where we're camping.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
When the DW and I go to government campgrounds it is to get back to nature or to fish and we leave the computer at home. When we are traveling and the trailer is serving more as a motel substitute we typically stay at private campgrounds so we do look for television and WiFi service.
Agreed! I have absolutely no interest in television and I would love to leave the computer at home but at this time I still have to work and I'd rather work at a campground than in an office

After I get the equipment that best suits my needs - which I haven't quite figured that part out yet, but I'm getting there - then I will start my own little journal of places we stay and how well it works for us

I love the Texas State Parks that I have been to, but the only one I have found good internet access so far is Garner State Park - lots of fun, but crazy busy in summer! Maybe after I get the needed equipment, it will open up more places for us to go
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #25

Smile Went with Wilson Electronics Products

Although there was another product that I was hoping to get, they haven't released it for sale yet so I went ahead and purchased the Wilson Electronics 4G Cell Booster (460108) and I upgraded the outside antenna to their RV Roof Mount Cellular Antenna (301119/311119). So far I am very pleased with the results.

Currently we are staying at Daingerfield State Park and the primary provider for this area is Verizon whereas we use AT&T and although I occasionally would get a bar of AT&T service, more often I ended up 'Off Network'

So after a day of that nonsense, we rigged up the Wilson Outside Antenna to sit on top of our roof and I set up the rest of it indoors. Wow! What a difference! I no longer end up 'Off Network' and I'm getting 3 to 5 bars of cellular signal (not Wi-fi, totally 2 different things). Now that I'm getting an excellent cell signal, it allows me to use my phone as a 'Wi-fi' hotspot so that I can connect to the internet from my laptop.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #26

Michelle,
Glad the Wilson unit is working for you. I'd say that the booster makes a big difference more than half the time. (between usable and not) There are always some places that you'll find yourself where there just isn't any signal to boost!

You mentioned AT&T. If you happen to run into coverage problems with the AT&T network, you might look at Verizon. As I think I mentioned, we have our phones on T-Mobile (so, can roam on AT&T) and have a mobile hotspot from Verizon providing the option of using whichever network is best where ever we're parked

I just looked at Daingerfield SP - it looks beautiful! I passed by the area last year on the way home from Millwood SP in Arkansas. That was a nice place too. Enjoy and stay warm - it looks like the next 3 or 4 nights are going to get a bit chilly in east Texas.
Days in the RV - 2016:126; 2017:144; 2018:316; 2019:164
ColoradoKampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Michelle,
Glad the Wilson unit is working for you. I'd say that the booster makes a big difference more than half the time. (between usable and not) There are always some places that you'll find yourself where there just isn't any signal to boost!

You mentioned AT&T. If you happen to run into coverage problems with the AT&T network, you might look at Verizon. As I think I mentioned, we have our phones on T-Mobile (so, can roam on AT&T) and have a mobile hotspot from Verizon providing the option of using whichever network is best where ever we're parked

I just looked at Daingerfield SP - it looks beautiful! I passed by the area last year on the way home from Millwood SP in Arkansas. That was a nice place too. Enjoy and stay warm - it looks like the next 3 or 4 nights are going to get a bit chilly in east Texas.
Yep, I definitely plan on buying a Verizon hotspot device for just those circumstances.

It is beautiful here, cold, but beautiful. I'll post an album of pics sometime next week
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #28

How I set it up

Here's how I set-up my cell booster:

Outside Antenna - I attached it to the bottom of a wire basket turned upside down, placed it on top of our roof and used one of the side bedroom windows to get the cable inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0327.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	66440

Name:	DSC_0328.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	66441

Name:	DSC_0332.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	66442

Here are pics off the booster, attached to it are the outside and inside antennas as well as the power adapter (which I had to buy separate b/c I needed 110). You can see in one of the pic how the outside antenna cable is run in from the window.

Name:	DSC_0334.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	66443

Name:	DSC_0338.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	66444

Finally, here is a pic off the inside antenna. It is NOT connected to my cell phone, but I place my phone right next to it for the best result. My phone now consistently shows 3 to 4 bars of signal strength and I have not gone 'Off Network' since the booster has been on.

Name:	DSC_0337.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	66445
Old 11-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
Denver, CO

Quote:
Michelle,

In my experience and most of the folks in the National Parks etc. that I know, Verizon is worlds above the other provides in "out of the way" places. All the NPS rangers have Verizon pretty much. AT&T is really good for broadband 4G in the cities, but you can't get a good throughput if you have no signal at all. My 2 cents
Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
In my experience and most of the folks in the National Parks etc. that I know, Verizon is worlds above the other provides in "out of the way" places. All the NPS rangers have Verizon pretty much. AT&T is really good for broadband 4G in the cities, but you can't get a good throughput if you have no signal at all. My 2 cents
Thanks for the confirmation - buying a Verizon mobile hotspot device is on the list
Old 11-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #31

Michelle, I use a similar Wilson setup. I attach my antenna to a telescoping flag pole, which is then attached to our ladder. Not a permanent setup except for the flag pole buddy brackets. One of the campgrounds we frequent, I have to extend the flag pole the full 22 feet to get a signal, most other places I don't have to extend that far. Like you we only need internet and cell to communicate with our business, TV is not really a priority.

If you need specifics on the antenna and pole parts let me know.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn View Post
Michelle, I use a similar Wilson setup. I attach my antenna to a telescoping flag pole, which is then attached to our ladder. Not a permanent setup except for the flag pole buddy brackets. One of the campgrounds we frequent, I have to extend the flag pole the full 22 feet to get a signal, most other places I don't have to extend that far. Like you we only need internet and cell to communicate with our business, TV is not really a priority.

If you need specifics on the antenna and pole parts let me know.
22 feet? Do you mean above your roof? I would definitely be interesting in your setup. I don't have a ladder to attach the flag pole to but if you have any pics it might help me see how it might work.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #33

I have this pole:
Amazon.com: RV Flag Pole Kit Motorhome Flag Kit by FlagPole Buddy 22 Feet: Automotive
There are lots of telescoping rv flag poles, with different ways of anchoring them.

Attached to that, I have the Wilson Dual Band Trucker mirror mount antenna with 3 way mount.

I haven't permanently attached my amplifier or run wire. The whole setup as is takes me about 5 minutes. Set up flag pole, run wire into window, plug in Amplifier, then attach indoor antenna. We have a small trailer, so sometimes it need to move the amplifier and indoor antenna around to get the best signal.

This is just for at the trailer, usually in town, I have no problem getting a signal.

I had thought about a small cradle amplifier, but the places I need boosting, I need a bigger boost. Just getting the antenna up higher, helped me a lot.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn View Post
I have this pole:
Amazon.com: RV Flag Pole Kit Motorhome Flag Kit by FlagPole Buddy 22 Feet: Automotive
There are lots of telescoping rv flag poles, with different ways of anchoring them.

Attached to that, I have the Wilson Dual Band Trucker mirror mount antenna with 3 way mount.

I haven't permanently attached my amplifier or run wire. The whole setup as is takes me about 5 minutes. Set up flag pole, run wire into window, plug in Amplifier, then attach indoor antenna. We have a small trailer, so sometimes it need to move the amplifier and indoor antenna around to get the best signal.

This is just for at the trailer, usually in town, I have no problem getting a signal.

I had thought about a small cradle amplifier, but the places I need boosting, I need a bigger boost. Just getting the antenna up higher, helped me a lot.
Cool! I appreciate the idea, looks a lot more stable than what I put together and still keep from drilling any holes in the roof

Tags
mpg