Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #1

Question Campgrounds with the Best Internet Signal

Hello everyone!

I know that we primarily go camping to get away from it all, but there are times when I have to 'connect' to work while on a trip and I have to have a good internet connection to do this. Besides, I would rather work remotely while at a campsite than in an office any day!

Typically, my husband and I prefer state, COE and national parks over KOA or other full service campgrounds. So here's my question...

What campgrounds have you found that have the best cellular internet signal? and what cellular provider what it for?

Thanks in advance for any input offered
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #2

All of the places I have been at use Direct TV and cable service.
The CG we stayed at in West Yellowstone was a private one, we were across the street from the office and the internet was the worst and the television service very poor.

Ended up renting some DVD's for the time we were at the trailer.

If the net is important enough I suggest a WIFI booster of what ever brand you like.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
All of the places I have been at use Direct TV and cable service.
The CG we stayed at in West Yellowstone was a private one, we were across the street from the office and the internet was the worst and the television service very poor.

Ended up renting some DVD's for the time we were at the trailer.

If the net is important enough I suggest a WIFI booster of what ever brand you like.
Yep, we are definitely getting a booster, but one for our cell service since I can use my smartphone as a hotspot. However, a booster won't help if there is absolutely no signal to boost. My DH and I are not much on television/cable - we bring along a few DVD's

Internet connection is the primary concern b/c I need to be able to connect to my work environment. I'm hoping to find as many campsite options as possible where I can still do what I have to do for work. I don't want work to keep me away!
Old 10-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

Have only been to private and KOA CG's this year aside from the one they have all had good signals without a booster.

A phone call to the CG is made just to double check the availability of WIFI service and then a look at the CG.s ratings from users before reservations are made.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Have only been to private and KOA CG's this year aside from the one they have all had good signals without a booster.

A phone call to the CG is made just to double check the availability of WIFI service and then a look at the CG.s ratings from users before reservations are made.
Thank you! I surely will phone in before setting up a visit, but I'm hoping others will chime in and let me know their experiences since they may mention sites I would not have thought of going to otherwise
Old 10-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #6

I am basically in the same boat as you. I need internet access for work. I even installed a booster plus roof antenna, etc. The problem never is the signal. I always get a signal on my verizon hotspots, however I just can't get on the internet. I think the problem is they don't have enough bandwidth for the towers there. So if a few people are online there is no bandwidth.

We went to yellowstone for a week, and could not get on the internet the entire time. None of the private camp grounds internet worked, and even though I got strong verizon signals, still no internet. The only place we found with good internet was a pizza place in town.

Just got back from a national forest camp ground. Same story, got cell signal, but couldn't get calls or on the internet. Had to drive about 3 miles away to get on the net, where I got a good 4g signal.
proggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by proggod View Post
I am basically in the same boat as you. I need internet access for work. I even installed a booster plus roof antenna, etc. The problem never is the signal. I always get a signal on my verizon hotspots, however I just can't get on the internet. I think the problem is they don't have enough bandwidth for the towers there. So if a few people are online there is no bandwidth.

We went to yellowstone for a week, and could not get on the internet the entire time. None of the private camp grounds internet worked, and even though I got strong verizon signals, still no internet. The only place we found with good internet was a pizza place in town.

Just got back from a national forest camp ground. Same story, got cell signal, but couldn't get calls or on the internet. Had to drive about 3 miles away to get on the net, where I got a good 4g signal.
Nice! Well, I suppose you have to start out at least with an area that has a signal and then I may have to drive to the nearest Starbucks or pizza place - I do like pizza

What you say though does make me reconsider exactly what type of booster I purchase. I may want something more mobile rather than something installed on my trailer. Thanks for the feedback
Old 10-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

Almost all campground WIFI is terrible. I just use my phone as a hot spot (where possible) Verizon is really good about letting you increase and decrease your plan whenever you want at no penalty. I keep 3 gigs when not traveling and when I go out I increase it to 6 gigs. I just installed a new smart TV in my rig. We were out all summer in many different campgrounds. Even when I could hook up to their WIFI with the TV the bandwidth for video was way too slow. I do not use my hot spot to stream movies, just uses too much data, but for normal use, e-mails, you tube, browsing, hot spot is the way to go.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #9

Any recommendations for a wifi booster?

This one seems very nice with high ratings and an onscreen setup.

Amazon.com: Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender: Computers & Accessories
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #10

Amped Wireless REA20 High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Range Extender

I believe thats the one we use, and its phenomenal. My wireless is probably better then most camp sites. I use it to boost my verizon hotspot. Its 12v so I can power it directly from my trailer power, and then I power the hotspot using the USB port on this. That works great.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Mrs Evans, for clarity, are you tethering devices like a laptop to your cell phone and using your cell phone service to connect to the internet? Or are you trying to connect your devices to the campground's wifi? So, do you need a cell phone signal booster or a wifi booster?
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Mrs Evans, for clarity, are you tethering devices like a laptop to your cell phone and using your cell phone service to connect to the internet? Or are you trying to connect your devices to the campground's wifi? So, do you need a cell phone signal booster or a wifi booster?

I'm using my cell phone to connect to the internet and as hotspot so I can then tether to my laptop and do a VPN and RDC to the computer at my office location. Hope I'm saying it right, lol!

I'm pretty sure I need a cell booster rather than a wifi booster. I see options provided by 'Wilson' and 'Maximum Signal', but I don't think these will work if there is not a signal within range. I was thinking that a strong cell phone signal (with the help of a cell booster in some cases) would result in better throughput/response. I may end up having to travel in town to get the signal/bandwidth level needed, but that possibility means that I may want a cell booster that is more mobile than ones that can be installed permanently to my trailer. I don't know
Old 10-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
I'm using my cell phone to connect to the internet and as hotspot so I can then tether to my laptop and do a VPN and RDC to the computer at my office location. Hope I'm saying it right, lol!

I'm pretty sure I need a cell booster rather than a wifi booster. I see options provided by 'Wilson' and 'Maximum Signal', but I don't think these will work if there is not a signal within range. I was thinking that a strong cell phone signal (with the help of a cell booster in some cases) would result in better throughput/response. I may end up having to travel in town to get the signal/bandwidth level needed, but that possibility means that I may want a cell booster that is more mobile than ones that can be installed permanently to my trailer. I don't know

I purchased a Wilson brand cell booster and it work pretty well. Our favorite State Park isn't much for cell service... has an occasional 1-bar... To possibly get a text in, but not out... and no phone/web service ever. With the Wilson booster and the upgraded antenna, i got texts in/out, phone calls and was occasionally able to use the internet.
It worked so well that my wife ended up getting one for work, so I sent mine back. Got it from Amazon.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
I purchased a Wilson brand cell booster and it work pretty well. Our favorite State Park isn't much for cell service... has an occasional 1-bar... To possibly get a text in, but not out... and no phone/web service ever. With the Wilson booster and the upgraded antenna, i got texts in/out, phone calls and was occasionally able to use the internet.
It worked so well that my wife ended up getting one for work, so I sent mine back. Got it from Amazon.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Cool! Thanks for the feedback, it just might provide enough of a boost for me to get the job done and then get back to the more important stuff, like enjoying the camping life!
Old 10-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #15

Wilson DT4G 60db 5-Band SmarTech III Desktop Repeater Kit - 460101 [700/800/1900/1700/2100mhz], 5 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

You want something like that. You should email the 3gstore with your exact requirements. Their support is pretty good and they will let you know what to get exactly.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #16

Hi Michelle,
Like you, we're tied to the internet while on longer trips. This year we invested in the Wilson Sleek 4G booster with an external antenna and cradle. We use T-Mobile cell phones and a Verizon broadband modem, giving us coverage on both CDMA and GSM networks. This works to our advantage because we can stick the Verizon modem in the cradle when we have good Verizon service, or tether to a cradled phone when we have good T-Mobile service. We certainly haven't stayed at all of the campgrounds in Texas, but have explore a lot of both RV parks as well as Texas State Parks over the past 4 years. Most of the places we've traveled are on the blog, and I try to note how the cell/internet or park provided WiFi service is in each of those locations. For more information about the Wilson Sleek, check this blog post:
wilson cradle cell phone booster | Small Home - Big Yard

For particulars at some of the places we've enjoyed from Colorado to South Padre, TX, see the blog link in my signature. Hope this helps!
Days in the RV - 2016:126; 2017:144; 2018:316; 2019:164
ColoradoKampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKampers View Post
Hi Michelle,
Like you, we're tied to the internet while on longer trips. This year we invested in the Wilson Sleek 4G booster with an external antenna and cradle. We use T-Mobile cell phones and a Verizon broadband modem, giving us coverage on both CDMA and GSM networks. This works to our advantage because we can stick the Verizon modem in the cradle when we have good Verizon service, or tether to a cradled phone when we have good T-Mobile service. We certainly haven't stayed at all of the campgrounds in Texas, but have explore a lot of both RV parks as well as Texas State Parks over the past 4 years. Most of the places we've traveled are on the blog, and I try to note how the cell/internet or park provided WiFi service is in each of those locations. For more information about the Wilson Sleek, check this blog post:
wilson cradle cell phone booster | Small Home - Big Yard

For particulars at some of the places we've enjoyed from Colorado to South Padre, TX, see the blog link in my signature. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! Finding a solution will really help my DH and me be able to get out more! I'm looking forward to reading your blog
Old 10-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #18

We switched from T-Mobile to at&t because with T-Mobile we never had a signal when we were camping. I Also borrowed a Verizon mifi from work on a trip through new England and the coverage was pretty similar between at&t and Verizon. There is no doubt that at&t and Verizon are the best. We chose at&t only because Verizon coverage is not so great at our house.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
blsst16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #19

I have yet to see a state, national forest or other government campground that has WiFi. As far as private campgrounds the KOA's we've been to all have have WiFi. On average they have been adequate for e-mail and surfing the web but spotty for streaming (which violates the term of service). If work is critical my suggestion is to set up your phone as a hotspot or purchase service from one of the cellular hotspot providers.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
I have yet to see a state, national forest or other government campground that has WiFi. As far as private campgrounds the KOA's we've been to all have have WiFi. On average they have been adequate for e-mail and surfing the web but spotty for streaming (which violates the term of service). If work is critical my suggestion is to set up your phone as a hotspot or purchase service from one of the cellular hotspot providers.
Hey Keith,
Come visit us in the West. Texas State Parks have made a huge push to implement free WiFi, as well as Colorado and Louisiana State Parks. You'll even find WiFi access available in remote places like Big Bend National Park and as of this past Labor Day weekend, in Rocky Mountain National Park!
Days in the RV - 2016:126; 2017:144; 2018:316; 2019:164
ColoradoKampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg