Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
A lot of folks call FDR run down, actually I like it. It's been the inaugural camping trip for both of my campers so far.

One thing I'd like to see them improve, widen the roads a couple of feet. It wasn't an issue, but was tighter than I like to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
We'll use FDR when visiting Calloway...nice area and we always camp in the back section near exit gate...little more quiet
IIRC, the 300 loop can get a bit tight. I normally stay in the 500 loop near the back gate also. It's easier to get in and out of with the camper.

I wouldn't call it run down.. it's old, and the bath houses could use a bit of remodel.. but compared to other stat parks (other than the new Chattahoochee Bend) I think it's comparable.

My biggest gripe about GA State parks is not being able to reserve a specific site.. you can only reserve a site type.
It makes it difficult for a group to camp together and all too often have I shown up complete and ready to camp and find a site with a current tag on the post and a chair or something left so it can be claimed as occupied. I thought DW was going to come unglued at Red Top SP one day when some ass-hat comes flying down the wrong way on a one way loop, pulls into the spot we were just about to get, hangs his tag, puts down a lawn chair and takes back off. She wanted to burn up his tag and throw his chair in to the woods.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #22
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post

IIRC, the 300 loop can get a bit tight. I normally stay in the 500 loop near the back gate also. It's easier to get in and out of with the camper.

I wouldn't call it run down.. it's old, and the bath houses could use a bit of remodel.. but compared to other stat parks (other than the new Chattahoochee Bend) I think it's comparable.

My biggest gripe about GA State parks is not being able to reserve a specific site.. you can only reserve a site type.
It makes it difficult for a group to camp together and all too often have I shown up complete and ready to camp and find a site with a current tag on the post and a chair or something left so it can be claimed as occupied. I thought DW was going to come unglued at Red Top SP one day when some ass-hat comes flying down the wrong way on a one way loop, pulls into the spot we were just about to get, hangs his tag, puts down a lawn chair and takes back off. She wanted to burn up his tag and throw his chair in to the woods.
I've seen the lawn chair tactic used...not cool...also have been to some GA SP where they post a note at check in that your camper must occupy the space to hold it...If I ever see the chair tactic used on a site I want to pull into, it's being tossed to the curb and a call to the office to let them know what's up

Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #23

We have been out twice already this year. Next trip is a Good Sam event in New Point, VA, second weekend of May. Then, several nights at Mountain Stream RV Park near Marion, NC. followed by a trip to the Atlanta, GA. Zoo to see the twin Panda Bear cubs. 4 nights at Stone Mountain for that trip.

Retirement is Great!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #24
Disney camper

Stone mountain is a great campground. I live 30 miles west of there and camped there Memorial Day a few years back. Catch the laser show.... It's worth it.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #25
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper67 View Post
Stone mountain is a great campground. I live 30 miles west of there and camped there Memorial Day a few years back. Catch the laser show.... It's worth it.

X2...kids love it...we camp there once a year for either Snow Mountain or summer/fall trip

Tags
2014, camping