Old 09-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Thanks for the update & I'm glad it worked out for you. Great pictures of the campground. I wouldn't mind camping there.

Except for 4 trips all my camping has been by myself. You already found out the advantages of camping solo including doing what you want when you want and if you want.

However, I wouldn't mind some company at time. This is one of the reasons I do take a stroll around the campground.
I know! I went on my second solo trip this last weekend, and despite taking the dogs, do find myself wishing for human contact OCCASIONALLY. But, a large reason I go camping is to escape from everybody/everything.

Seems my family can get excited about camping earlier in the season, but as soon as school/work/extracurricular activities/social life start back up in August, they are much less likely to want to go. Me, I prefer to camp during the crisp days and cool nights of fall and early winter. Guess being alone is a sacrifice I'll have to make.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #32

I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude. -- Thoreau Walden Pond

Old 09-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #33

After losing my wife several years ago I did find a Lady who loves to go camping with me and my dog and she is a wonderful cook. Kinda cute also
40 Gal TransferFlow Aux fuel tank
Amateur Radio W5CI AR-0043-29
2016 Days Camping 50
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #34

All,

Very interested in this topic as I'm a single guy considering the purchase of a new TT. My issue isn't the actual being alone part (you get used to that being single), it's the choice of a TT that works for people that are single that's I'm struggling with.

I have toys (paramotor, paddle boards, kayaks) that I want to bring with me but don't want a dedicated toy hauler, I have friends that sometimes join me on my excursions so do I purchase a unit designed for more people than say a couples sized unit?

Originally I was looking at the hybrid trailers because of the added space and extra bed in a smaller unit (My tow vehicle is only rated to 5700#). Now I'm looking at the couples units that Surveyor offers like to 201RBS or 220RBS (They have an optional rear utility rack that I want).

Question for those that have the smaller "couples" type units; do you ever have others stay with you on the dinette and is it inconvenient? or, do you find having the smaller unit is all you need?

I looked at R-Pods, the Surveyor line, the Rockwood Mini Lite and they all are within my tow rating but primarily designed for two people comfortably. Just don't want to make a purchase and find out it's not what I really need.

Opinions are welcome!

Thanks
Old 09-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #35

Well, I don't know that I could recommend any specific models for you, as I've only owned one, and my 261bhxl suits me just fine. I've started letting my camera gear sleep in the top bunk and my guitar gear sleep in the bottom bunk, and my fishing gear sleep in the back of my truck. Don't know that I'll ever let the fam back in now. I'm on my third solo trip this weekend, and although I dread leaving everybody on Friday afternoon, it sure is sweet when I get here. I just keep telling myself, "it was their choice not to come along! Their loss!"
Old 10-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
All,

Very interested in this topic as I'm a single guy considering the purchase of a new TT. My issue isn't the actual being alone part (you get used to that being single), it's the choice of a TT that works for people that are single that's I'm struggling with.

I have toys (paramotor, paddle boards, kayaks) that I want to bring with me but don't want a dedicated toy hauler, I have friends that sometimes join me on my excursions so do I purchase a unit designed for more people than say a couples sized unit?

Originally I was looking at the hybrid trailers because of the added space and extra bed in a smaller unit (My tow vehicle is only rated to 5700#). Now I'm looking at the couples units that Surveyor offers like to 201RBS or 220RBS (They have an optional rear utility rack that I want).

Question for those that have the smaller "couples" type units; do you ever have others stay with you on the dinette and is it inconvenient? or, do you find having the smaller unit is all you need?

I looked at R-Pods, the Surveyor line, the Rockwood Mini Lite and they all are within my tow rating but primarily designed for two people comfortably. Just don't want to make a purchase and find out it's not what I really need.

Opinions are welcome!

Thanks
We think one of the big benefits of the Surveyor 220 is the abundance of storage space. In the bathroom are two large closets, one with shelves and one where we hang big winter coats and keep a laundry basket and many other things like brooms, etc. There's also storage under the bathroom sink and in a couple of drawers below the closets.

The bedroom has an amazing amount of storage underneath the queen bed, and it has two folding doors for when you need some privacy. The TV spins around so it can be viewed from either the bedroom or the salon area. Bedroom also has two shirt closets which are narrow but very deep at the bottom due to the curvature of the front cap.

The salon area also has a very tall pantry that holds a lot of food and even accommodates our Keurig when not in use. Three cabinets above the dinette also have pretty large volume because they go very deep.

And outside, the passthrough has large doors and holds all our chairs and a lot of other things. Not bad for a 25-foot trailer. Lots of room for one person and very adequate for the two of us, in our opinion. Also, ducted heat and air, which I think is not found in many of the smaller trailers.

I estimate we tow it at about 5,500 pounds. Hope this helps.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
My wife (died two years ago) and I always enjoyed "alone" days every few months. We both really liked those times. Sometimes I'd go motorcycle riding, or skiing, or whatever. She enjoyed her time with no obligation to do anything for anyone else.

I think that had a lot to do with our marriage lasting 47 years. Enjoy your alone time camping....it helps you put things in perspective and appreciate what you have at home.

Well said.

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
Old 10-15-2016, 01:06 AM   #38

90% of my camping is alone. DW joins me for one trip each year. sometimes I am alone, for the entire stay (1-3 wks). However, on many trios I will meet a couple or another single that I end up hanging out with. Occasionally, these grow into lasting friendships - a very cool experience. It okay few trips to get used to it, especially, during the week, in the off season, where I have almost the entire campground to myself. However, I am learning to enjoy the peace and quiet.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #39
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I winter alone in Arizona for 5months and we've been married almost 50 years....
Old 10-16-2016, 04:02 AM   #40

I would go if i can go and be comfortable with being alone, but if i were already having doubts about being alone i think i would stay home.
" when in doubt " listen to your gut.

Tags
camping