Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Camping alone?

Anybody ever go camping alone? Seems my kids are finally at the age where they have other priorities. I have a site booked 3 nights at the lake for Labor Day weekend, and my 12-year-old would rather go to a different lake with a friend, my 9-year-old would rather go see a Disney "star" at the regional fair, and my wife would rather not go anywhere at all because she was on a long 4-day trip last weekend and we have to drive 10 hours to go visit family the weekend after Labor Day for four days (non-camping trip).

I plan on spending some time fishing to occupy my time, but I'm sorta not looking forward to spending 3 days by myself in the midst of all the other large groups celebrating the holiday weekend. I'm not really used to being alone--I've been married 23 years and am almost always in the company of others. Seems like camping is more of a group activity anyway. It's like cooking--it's not that much fun to do it just for yourself. I guess I could take the two dogs for companionship or just cancel altogether. Strangely, despite my trepidation, I'm actually an introvert. Would you go ahead and go?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Old 08-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #2

You will get used to it,we did.When the grandkids start to appear,they will all be back,untill the grandkids become teenagers,then it starts all over again.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
Usually Confused Member

My wife (died two years ago) and I always enjoyed "alone" days every few months. We both really liked those times. Sometimes I'd go motorcycle riding, or skiing, or whatever. She enjoyed her time with no obligation to do anything for anyone else.

I think that had a lot to do with our marriage lasting 47 years. Enjoy your alone time camping....it helps you put things in perspective and appreciate what you have at home.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Location: Home of the 2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS CHICAGO CUBS
Yep, camped several nights alone . Me , myself and I get along fine
Will be alone Wednesday and Thursday nights before the long weekend when others arrive. Enjoy

2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 92 nights of camping
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:30 AM   #5

I use to camp alone several years ago. Had a Flagstaff pup back then that I really enjoyed camping in, but my wife didn't like it mainly because of no bathroom. My favorite time was in early spring when the nights were cool and I could open up the bed flaps at night.
I would fish during the day and spend a quiet evening around a campfire. Usually I had caught enough fish that by Sunday noon people would start showing up for a fish fry....my parents, my wife, my daughter and her family. I was usually worn out by the time I got back home, but I loved it.
I have a different Flagstaff pup now, but never go out alone anymore. That's a whole other story I won't go into, but I do miss those days.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:22 AM   #6

I enjoy camping alone. You can always just sit back and people watch. I find there are generally several small (or larger) chores that need to be done that I'd maybe been putting off. Being by yourself could be a good time to catch up on stuff like that.

Enjoy some quiet time.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 AM   #7

I camp alone once or twice a year, but not at campgrounds. I'll be at an auto race track with cars zooming by and stuff going on fairly often.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #8

Every now and then I camp alone but it's truly not alone as I take the dogs with me. The kids are grown. The DW sometimes can't or does't want to come.
I have tons of vacation time the DW does not.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

I would go and see how it works out for you. The dog an I go alone on occasion, and my wife goes without me on occasion. You won't know until you try it. I used to do longer bike tours and hikes by myself and enjoyed the alone time. Good luck and enjoy!

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
it helps you put things in perspective and appreciate what you have at home.
And all long-time family men know that this in itself can sometimes be a challenge. Not every day at home is always as idyllic as one would think!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'll give it a go and see how it works. Might even leave the dogs at home for maximum flexibility and freedom. Don't know.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Tags
camping