Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #41

I've got the Sea Eagle version of your boat and have used a Torqeedo Electric motor on it. It is supposed to be equivalent to a 3hp gas engine. I went with the high pressure inflatable floor. Very sturdy and can have two people stand up and move around without any flexing. Taking my boat to our place in Central America so I will probably sell the Torqeedo.
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwardn View Post
I've got the Sea Eagle version of your boat and have used a Torqeedo Electric motor on it. It is supposed to be equivalent to a 3hp gas engine. I went with the high pressure inflatable floor. Very sturdy and can have two people stand up and move around without any flexing. Taking my boat to our place in Central America so I will probably sell the Torqeedo.

Those torqeedo motors are top of the line. Unfortunately a little expensive for me. I currently have an old 55lb thrust Motor Guide.

As for the inflatable floor, I went back to the manufacturer after realizing the weight of the aluminum floor. They apparently don't make one for the 15 foot and larger boats. I have to look at other manufacturers to see if I can find one to fit.

What size is the Sea Eagle you are using? I originally looked at Sea Eagle but decided on Saturn.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
FourWheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:52 PM   #43

I bought a $114 seylor at academy. Fit a pic trolling motor electric 40lb trust, plywood base and pedestal seat. It does pretty good but tracks horrible in the wind. I'm in the process of purchasing a plastic bass baby boat. Although the raft can get the job done the lack of mobility around brush is limiting
Trikkineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikkineon View Post
I bought a $114 seylor at academy. Fit a pic trolling motor electric 40lb trust, plywood base and pedestal seat. It does pretty good but tracks horrible in the wind. I'm in the process of purchasing a plastic bass baby boat. Although the raft can get the job done the lack of mobility around brush is limiting

My buddy has the plastic bass boat.mi believe it's a 10 foot. He mounts the trolling motor in front and built a wooden rudder on the back. It helps keep the boat from being blown around with the wind.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #45
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I used a Porta-bote 12' for years. If the new one is too expensive for you, check Craigslist, you'll find good used ones from time to time.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #46

I'm bringing this topic back from the dead.

I am considering selling my canoes and kayaks and buying an inflatable boat. While designing my canoe rack for my truck I realized that my wife wont be able to reach high enough to help me load canoes/ kayaks.

I have an old towne 12' canoe with a transom that we currently use, do y'all think I will be happy if I switch to a 12' inflatable?

I really don't want to get much over $1000, so I was looking at a Bris 12.5' and a sea eagle 124SMB, both are about $1000.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #47

I have a 2 person sit on top inflatable kayak. It's absolutely great. Going into the 3rd year with it and it has taken plenty of abuse. I thought it would be shredded last year, my German shorthair went kayaking with us and I thought her toenails would kill it but it survived. I did have to patch a couple of holes on the bottom from dragging it over rocks when getting in and out, you can't avoid that. Stay away from obvious puncture sources and you'll be ok. You can't find a more comfortable seat than on a inflatable.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconomowoc View Post
I have a 2 person sit on top inflatable kayak. It's absolutely great. Going into the 3rd year with it and it has taken plenty of abuse. I thought it would be shredded last year, my German shorthair went kayaking with us and I thought her toenails would kill it but it survived. I did have to patch a couple of holes on the bottom from dragging it over rocks when getting in and out, you can't avoid that. Stay away from obvious puncture sources and you'll be ok. You can't find a more comfortable seat than on a inflatable.

Thanks, I am going to do a test run with a cheaper inflatable. It's an Intex Mariner 4 w/ the motor package at only $275 w/ free shipping it's not going to kill the piggy bank. If it works out good and we like it then I may sell some of the canoes and kayaks and buy a Saturn. It's just scary the thought of not having a canoe, I've always had one since I was in high school. So getting rid of all of them is a tough choice to make...lol.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
Thanks, I am going to do a test run with a cheaper inflatable. It's an Intex Mariner 4 w/ the motor package at only $275 w/ free shipping it's not going to kill the piggy bank. If it works out good and we like it then I may sell some of the canoes and kayaks and buy a Saturn. It's just scary the thought of not having a canoe, I've always had one since I was in high school. So getting rid of all of them is a tough choice to make...lol.

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I no longer get notifications about any threads I'm on.

Let me know how the 12 foot inflatable works for you. I've been real busy at work but hope to get my 15 foot out real soon. I only have an electric trolling motor right now so I'm heading to a lake for trials.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelers View Post
Let me know how the 12 foot inflatable works for you. I've been real busy at work but hope to get my 15 foot out real soon. I only have an electric trolling motor right now so I'm heading to a lake for trials.

I know this thread is way old, but I am leaning towards a Saturn and a 4 stroke motor somewhere between 5 and 10 hp. How is that Saturn holding up if you still have it?

TV: 2015 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 liter Hemi
ivanh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanh3 View Post
I know this thread is way old, but I am leaning towards a Saturn and a 4 stroke motor somewhere between 5 and 10 hp. How is that Saturn holding up if you still have it?
Hello. Sorry for the late reply, I'm away on vacation.
I ended up buying a Suzuki 4 stroke 20hp for my 15 ft Saturn. I used it a lot in the Barnegat Bay and it worked great. Unfortunately last year I worked too much and never used the boat. My plans are to get it ready in about two weeks and get back out there. I'll let you know how it held up being stored for a year. I'm not near my computer or I would post a photo of the fishing rack I attached to the transom.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #52

I have a achillies 12ft. Love it. I use a 40lb trolling motor. Need to upgrade my battery to a lithium for weight. I also installed removable wheels to make it easier moving around. Takes up minimum space when folded up.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:40 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
I have a achillies 12ft. Love it. I use a 40lb trolling motor. Need to upgrade my battery to a lithium for weight. I also installed removable wheels to make it easier moving around. Takes up minimum space when folded up.
I also had the fold up wheels. With the weight of the 15 ft, aluminum floor, outboard motor and coolers, it was getting heavy to pull up a boat ramp. Switched to using a trailer. Mine is definitely not a boat to bring on camping trips anymore.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160823_152521075.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	177008
Old 06-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #54

Quote:
I also had the fold up wheels. With the weight of the 15 ft, aluminum floor, outboard motor and coolers, it was getting heavy to pull up a boat ramp. Switched to using a trailer. Mine is definitely not a boat to bring on camping trips anymore.Attachment 177008
I dont have all of that but yea the wheels made it easier.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #55

Quote:
Hello. Sorry for the late reply, I'm away on vacation.
I ended up buying a Suzuki 4 stroke 20hp for my 15 ft Saturn. I used it a lot in the Barnegat Bay and it worked great.
I am actually looking at a Suzuki 20 hp/4 stroke as the outboard. They seem to be the most hp for the money, and I never see anything used where I live. I am wanting to get the 14 foot Saturn.

How portable is your motor if it's not on the back of the boat? Can they be transported on their side?

Thanks for taking time out for this,
Ivan

TV: 2015 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 liter Hemi
ivanh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #56

The Suzuki comes with instructions on transporting. You would lay it on it's side. It is a decent weight and I use a motor stand with wheels.

Tags
boat, camping