Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #1

Camping and Boating - Anyone use inflatable boats while camping?

Does anyone use an inflatable, heavy duty boat while camping? Such as a Zodiac, Sea Eagle or Saturn?

I'm looking at a fold up inflatable boat to bring along on our trips. Small enough to put inside the trailer when on the road but large and sturdy enough to use on large lakes once we setup. With all the different brands and styles, I'd like to hear observations from people that have done this.

I'm currently looking at the Saturn 15' heavy duty boat and probably start with an electric motor to get me out fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
FourWheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #2

I had a zodiac but was not pleased with the handling or the pumping and then could never get all the air out of it, so it finally developed a budge that made it look funny. I changed over to a set on top kayak that is 9' and am very pleased with the way it works and fishes.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

We had a Sea Eagle, probably the Cadillac of the inflatables, but we ended up with hard side kayaks. Much sleeker in the water and easier to have his and her boats rather than always going out together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

We have a Sea Eagle 370 and have nothing negative to say about it. It was one of the only things we could haul around with us, so that's why we have it.

3 of us, 1 adult and 2 kids, use it regularly on lakes and slow rivers.

If we had the room, we would probably have hard-sided ones for each of us, but since we don't, we have one inflatable.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

I have a Sea Eagle 375fc Deluxe Package folding pontoon boat, holds 2 people easy, it is very stable, a little heavy but use a small 2 wheel cart to haul it around, use 45 lb thrust trolling motor and a big battery, stay out all day with it even take a large cooler on it. Comes in 2 bags, but does take up a bit of room. Take a look at the sea eagle site. I found a 3 year old one that had hardly been used.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
I had a zodiac but was not pleased with the handling or the pumping and then could never get all the air out of it, so it finally developed a budge that made it look funny. I changed over to a set on top kayak that is 9' and am very pleased with the way it works and fishes.

We thought of a kayak but with spine surgery I still have a problem in that sitting position for long periods. I also am limited with area to carry them. There are four of us to get out on the lake so I decided to go with an inflatable I could fold up.

With the Zodiac, did you use a 12v pump to help with the inflation?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr View Post
I have a Sea Eagle 375fc Deluxe Package folding pontoon boat, holds 2 people easy, it is very stable, a little heavy but use a small 2 wheel cart to haul it around, use 45 lb thrust trolling motor and a big battery, stay out all day with it even take a large cooler on it. Comes in 2 bags, but does take up a bit of room. Take a look at the sea eagle site. I found a 3 year old one that had hardly been used.

I looked at that pontoon! It's a nice fishing rig. I just needed something with more room to get us all out for a ride on the lakes or bay. If it was just a fishing rig I needed the pontoon would definitely be in the picture.

How long does it take to inflate? Do you use a hand pump or electric pump?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #8

It uses an electric pump, hook up to 12V and let it pump, takes about 3-4 minutes, but you have to use the manual foot pump to finish off, about 3-4 pumps. then when you sit on the seats it doesn't wobble.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Old 03-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

So I researched a couple of different makes. Specifically looking at price, thickness of material, type of material, quality based on reviews, and how constructed.

I narrowed it down to Zodiac, Sea Eagle 14SRO, and the Saturn 470.
Zodiac was too far out of my price range so it was eliminated.

Sea Eagle and Saturn both use the same material and have comparable reviews. Seems people either love them or hate them.
The one difference was how the seams are done. Sea Eagle welds their seams where Saturn uses a glued seam. There are so many different opinions on this, I decided since my boat will not be inflated or outside exposed to UV sunlight all the time, this may not be an issue for me.

The Saturn 470 uses a slightly thicker material, comes standard with an aluminum floor, and was 1,000.00 less.

I ordered it in red and expect delivery this weekend!

Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr View Post
It uses an electric pump, hook up to 12V and let it pump, takes about 3-4 minutes, but you have to use the manual foot pump to finish off, about 3-4 pumps. then when you sit on the seats it doesn't wobble.

Does the 45lb motor have enough push? With the travel trailer it's probably easier to bring a big electric along instead of added weight of a gas engine. I'm not looking to ski, just do some riding around and a little fishing.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #11

I've never taken one deflated on a trip, but had a zodiak for quite a number of years. I don't think it would be very well suited for your purposes. They are extremely heavy, take a while to fill, and tear down is quite a chore.

You might take a look at an Avon. They are flat bottom, fairly lightweight, and have build in inflatable seating. It really helps with the weight without the rigid bottoms and hard seating.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #12

45 lb motor should be enough, if not then go to a gas engine.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #13

We carry several smaller ones. They're easier to handle, and seem to get used more than when we put the Kayak in the truck bed. Rubber boats are stinkin heavy! When I fish in my one-person Intex, "other" boaters sometimes point and laugh. HELLOOOOO...one finger wave....
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #14

Well 4Wheeler you must come back and let us now what you think after you get yours and use it a time of two.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
Well 4Wheeler you must come back and let us now what you think after you get yours and use it a time of two.

I'll keep you guys posted. I have a habit of acting first and thinking later.
Hope this does what I want.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #16

Another alternative may be a Porta A Bote, folding design, very stabel supposedly. I've never owned one but have seen them in serivce and they seem great IF you have the ability to get them in /out of the trailer. Pretty quick setup once you've done it a few times according to the owner I'd talked to.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #17

We had the same problem and opted for the Stealth Stalker 10 , it will hold 1200 lbs. We dry sailed it and although it took more than 15 minutes to get up and ready, hopefully we will get it WET soon. with the trolling motor it should do us fine.
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #18

We carry an inexpensive Intex Excursion with a small Intex trolling motor. I also added some drop in plywood floors for a little more rigidity and a couple of seats that lay on the floor and extend across the boat sides. It blows up pretty fast with a coleman pump and is actually pretty light to launch. The floor and seats add some weight though. Its not fast but gets us out on the lake and into some really pretty coves. I carry the boat and accessories in the back of my truck. Lots of videos on youtube . . . take a look see.
Gary Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #19

West Marine Zodiac

This is a bit late to help in your choice, but hopefully there is something you can use. I use a 10' Zodiac sold by West Marine. I got the last one in my store made in France; their new boats are NOT Zodiac and come from China. Mine is a bit of a pain to assemble due to the rigid floor, especially when the fish are biting. I use a 2.5 HP Nissan I picked up at a yard sale years ago. I would only caution the following:
  • When you move to a gas motor, an older 2 stroke will be lighter than an equivelant 4 stroke. You will have to mix oil though, and some places (all of our lakes around the Tahoe basin) don't allow them.
  • Every place I have ever been required a registration on a boat once it has a motor, even if it is electric. I have been bothered by the Sheriff and the Coast Guard for this. You can usually register in your home state and use it anywhere else.
  • Mind the altitude (I ruined a Dynous boat once). Don't leave your boat fully inflated if your drive will have big altitude changes. The boat will blow up the higher you go. I just travel with the boat fully packed up in my tow vehicle.
Wandering Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenfun View Post
Another alternative may be a Porta A Bote, folding design, very stabel supposedly. I've never owned one but have seen them in serivce and they seem great IF you have the ability to get them in /out of the trailer. Pretty quick setup once you've done it a few times according to the owner I'd talked to.

I'm not too familiar with the port a boat except seeing their ads. Does the length fold in half also? Otherwise, may have trouble fitting it in the trailer.

Tags
boat, camping