Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #1

Camping around Greenfield village in MI

Planning a trip to Greenfield Village / Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI with a day trip to Frankenmuth,MI. the second week in July. Looking for suggestions for camping. We plan on being out a week so need a place with full hookups. We found Lord Willing and Wayne County Fairground on the internet. Has anyone had any experience with either of these campgrounds or any other campgrounds in the area? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed D
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Director, FROG

Ed, we stayed at the Wayne County Fairground two years ago when we stopped at the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village both going to and returning from Niagara Falls two years ago. It worked out fine for us. Nothing fancy about it, you're parked on grass, and I can't remember now if we had a sewer or not. It's just off of the interstate, but there was no traffic noise whatsoever. As I recall it's about ten miles -- a very easy trip -- to the Henry Ford / Greenfield Village.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

Harbortown RV Resort - Monroe, MI

Definitely nicer than camp lord willing
Old 06-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

Harbortown is definitely a nice campground...we have been there many times. But, it will add another 30 to 45 minutes to your drive time to Frankenmouth.

You might want to switch those two destinations around, i.e. camp in Birch Run or Frankenmouth and make the day trip to Greenfield Village. If you do that there are two really good campgrounds in that area. In Birch Run there is Pine Ridge. This is a quiet, heavily treed campground with virtually no recreational facilities. Just quiet. Joy and I are going there this weekend. At the other extreme there is a Yogi Bear campground in Frankenmouth. I'm told that is very good also. Very family oriented.

BTW, the drive time from Dearborn to Frankenmouth is about 2.5 hours.

You'll not regret your trip to Greenfield Village, either.

2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SC LWB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam
Honda EU2000i
joy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #5

We stayed at Detroit Greenfield RV Park when we went to Greenfield Village. Not bad and the location was pretty close to the museum. We spent 2 days there and wished we had 2 more. Other than the Smithsonian, I'm sure you'll find a better collection of American history. And the F-150 assembly plant tour was also really cool.

The museum has a page on their website for accommodations and packages for hotels, and they also include a couple of campground options. Not sure if the "package" really saves any money or not, but worth checking out.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping